JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't even need a bill of sale. Your statement "I sold that weapon in a face to face sale some time ago, and did not keep a record of the sale".

See, the burden of proof is on THEM. Unless they can PROVE you had reasonable cause to believe you sold it to a member of a prohibited class, they've got NOTHING on you. They can push, bluster, even charge you. It cannot stick unless they can PROVE prior knowledge, AND that the individual to whom you sold it IS the perpetrator in another crime. They would have to prove an unbroken line from you to their perp, AND that you had knowledge of his criminal intent and/or prohibited status. A tough row to hoe.

Like I said, there are NO restrictions (other than the "prohibited class" issue, about which you have knowledge before the sale) or requirements. Yet........ no question they'd like to "deputise" all of us to do the research, keep records, file papers, probably even issue "titles" and "registrations" for arms much like presently required for vehicles. But its OUR job to keep this from happening. THEY would love it to happen, though.

There is no gun registry. Anyone that tells you that is mistaken. As someone that has come across a stolen gun I can tell you that the state had no idea who it originally belonged to until they tracked down the FFL that sold it and made them produce the paperwork. They only take the serial number during the background check to see if the gun is legal. The guns that are reported stolen are not tracked by the information given at the time of purchase but by the information the FFL submits in accordance with their licensing. So in reality a gun is tracked back (or registered) to the FFL that "registered" it, not the purchaser.

Good point. It always annoys me when I see people in WA wanting to see a concealed permit before doing a FTF. This is just one of those things that shows how progressive gun control works. Over time people drop their guard and before you know it there is a law on the books and no one is complaining.

Be vigilant - gun control is not that far away from gun confiscation.

Any govt goon that tries to confiscate my legal guns will be themselves breaking the law, therefore I will be well within my rights to send them to the blood bank for a refill.

FTF is short for "Face to Face" referring to a transaction between 2 people conducted in person. I hand you the cash and you hand me the weapon.
Don't feel bad it took me a while to figure out the terminology myself.
:s0155:

There is no gun registry. Anyone that tells you that is mistaken. As someone that has come across a stolen gun I can tell you that the state had no idea who it originally belonged to until they tracked down the FFL that sold it and made them produce the paperwork. They only take the serial number during the background check to see if the gun is legal. The guns that are reported stolen are not tracked by the information given at the time of purchase but by the information the FFL submits in accordance with their licensing. So in reality a gun is tracked back (or registered) to the FFL that "registered" it, not the purchaser.

That is registration by definition.

You find a gun at a crime scene, and it can be traced to the original buyer.

That is registration by definition.

You find a gun at a crime scene, and it can be traced to the original buyer.
That is true of almost any product. Even a stereo can be traced b ack to the original seller. The state does not keep any paperwork or records regarding the purchaser...just the seller. Then it is up to that original seller to keep the records of to whom it was originally sold. So in reality, gunshops are the ones keeping the gun registry. Darn commie gun dealers. :)

That is true of almost any product. Even a stereo can be traced b ack to the original seller. The state does not keep any paperwork or records regarding the purchaser...just the seller. Then it is up to that original seller to keep the records of to whom it was originally sold. So in reality, gunshops are the ones keeping the gun registry. Darn commie gun dealers. :)

Precisely.
I have always said that all guns are registered.:D

The OSP has all of my customers' names. I just wish I could remember if the gun info was on the paper they showed me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top