JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not a real registration,you do not have a tiatle to ANY gun like you do your car.
They may have information on the purchase from the dealer ,but it is not a registration.

I can sell any of my ...uh.... 2 hand guns to anyone I know is not a felon or underage and nobody needs to be informed

NOT a registration

Not a real registration,you do not have a title to ANY gun like you do your car.
They may have information on the purchase from the dealer, but it is not a registration.

I can sell any of my ...uh.... 2 hand guns to anyone I know is not a felon or underage and nobody needs to be informed

NOT a registration

I think most of us would disagree. If they can find out who originally bought the handgun then it is "registered" in a database for future use (confiscation).

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

I just talked with OSP about this a week ago and they destroy any records they hold 10 days after the transaction is processed....who knows what info gets transferred to ATF and what they hold. If you want to get picky about it the gun dealer can't get rid of their paperwork for quite a while....technically not a registry but certainly able to track things down.

Describe the "ATF audit" you talked about.

They do not destroy them. They retain the records.

I meant ATF Compliance inspection.

@coctaller
I'm asking because I've purchased things from a dealer doing a 4473. Then when I sold the firearm through consignment via another FFL a few years later, they couldn't find record of me having purchased it.

So it seems that there is some limit on their records, or were at one point. Maybe not any longer?
The FFL does not do the registering, the OSP does. The only FFL that would, and still does, have record of you original purchase, is the FFL you bought it from.

The OSP call center operators cannot look up your purchase even 5 minutes after the BG check is made, but the supervisors can, even years later.

DAPSRT called OSP, and they say they destroy the records. This is correct that this is their policy, but that is not what they do.

This database is a feel good thing.

say I buy a gun today, tomorrow I can sell it or trade it with no paperwork, I can even lose it in a tragic boating accident and have not duty to report it.

So what "so called good" does this database do?

Not a thing, it is a waste of time and money

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads