JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
CBP lady: have there ever been any firearms in this car?

Why should that matter one way or another????????

CBP lady: what kind of firearms do you own?

You should have just made up a list:
- a .50 caliber semi anti anti-tank rifle with armor piercing HEAT rounds.
- A .308 sniper rifle that can take out a sentry at 1.2 miles
- a 30 round .45 caliber semi-auto pistol with a silencer

But I suppose you actually wanted to get into Canada. . .

You just been flagged on somebody's computer. Canada is kinda tweaky sometimes. When i was in the Reserves, in my late 20s or so I went up there after Reserve duty to by some miniature wargaming figures. Just for the day, to a good hobby shop that carried stuff from Britain and hard to get in US. Wellll, I happened to still have my uniforms in the back of my hatchback Toyota, o h my did I get a lecture. I even ended up showing them my Reserve orders and every other piece of ID I had.

Hell, I think I'd have said, Yes, last week I had a bazooka ma'am, is that not allowed?

I haven't got an enhanced license and I really don't care to visit Canada. Been there several times, done that, drank the beer and danced with their women... :s0133:

Brutus Out

Back to 2002 and me entering Canada at Ottawa International Airport.

Agent - What is the purpose of your visit to Canada?

Me - Principally to work on a twelve week contract, and when that's done, visiting family.

Agent - Where will you be working whilst in Canada?

Me - Near Ottawa.

Agent - You'll have to be more specific than that if you expect to enter Canada.

Me - A military establishment near Ottawa.

Agent - Are you military?

Me - Not any more, I retired two years ago.

Agent - Why would the Canadian government employ you, a foreigner?

Me - I was head-hunted by your Ministry of Defence to do the job that I have come here to do, and I'm afraid that's all I can tell you abut it.

Agent - Are you able to provide me with proof of this assertion?

Me - If you ask your Senior Agent to come here I'll show him or her my letter of authorisation, as detailed in my instructions.

Agent - Are you telling me that I cannot see your documents? You DO realise that I can have you put on the next flight back to UK?

Me - That is your privilege, but you'll have to explain to a government minister why you did it...the authorisation is actually addressed to the senior agent, and that is not you.

Agent gets on the phone and speaks for a minute or so, getting more and more agitated until the Senior Agent agrees to come to the booth and check my document. Seeing the name and address on the letterhead, he quickly hands it back to me and apologises for the delay, adding that these days one cannot be too careful etc.

I could, of course, have travelled on my Canadian passport, but I was being employed in my capacity as a former member of the British Army, and that might have caused even more confunglement.

tac

No way this is possible.

Sir, I respectfully disagree. Returning to Canada from the USA a number of years ago, the clothing and backpacks of my travelling companion and me were swabbed for explosives residue at Vancouver. His pants and backpack both tested positive for nitro-cellulose traces. Not surprising, as both of us had been shooting the day before, and he had brought his brass back to the hotel to hand over to another resident shooter. In his backpack. Mine had been used for the coffee flasks and sammidges. He was wearing the pants he'd worn the previous day - I was wearing new ones.

We were kept there for five hours before being release after showing the CBP agents our YouTube movies of the shooting activities.

tac

chickencanadafacts2.jpg

:s0109:
Why should we put up with this crap, the Canadians don't have guns, there are only a couple million of them, let's kick their tails, take the place back (B.C. was at one time Oregon territory) and restore normalicy to the place, .:s0114: I know, not PC. :pound:
You would not want it to have anything to do with Oregon~~Idiots on west side would have fun if thjey could ask you all those questions

This being Canada Day, perhaps a gentle reminder is due -

WW1 Casualties - 64,934 dead - representing almost 1% of the population at 1914, and 172,950 wounded.

WW2 casualties - 49,998 dead, unknown wounded, representing almost 0.4% of the 1939 population.

Chickens?

I think not, Gentlemen.

tac - proudly half a Canadian.
A bit of self-deprecating humor by a Canadian

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_Chickens

Sir, I respectfully disagree. Returning to Canada from the USA a number of years ago, the clothing and backpacks of my travelling companion and me were swabbed for explosives residue at Vancouver. His pants and backpack both tested positive for nitro-cellulose traces. Not surprising, as both of us had been shooting the day before, and he had brought his brass back to the hotel to hand over to another resident shooter. In his backpack. Mine had been used for the coffee flasks and sammidges. He was wearing the pants he'd worn the previous day - I was wearing new ones.

We were kept there for five hours before being release after showing the CBP agents our YouTube movies of the shooting activities.

tac
You poor bastid. To get even, I disregard green lights whenever I smell achooie oil. sue me.

Canadians can keep the place, besides they pronounce project and process wrong.

Haven't been there since about 20 yrs ago, clearly pre911 crossing at Blaine after dark - had an NRA decal on my rear (Chevy K5 Blazer) window so they gave me the full treatment, 3 hrs complete vehicle search (said it was because of the NRA sticker) - lasting until 2am; they eventually found a single live round of 45 ACP wedged in some obscure place, acting like it was all worth the effort.
Asked what I wanted to do with it, I refrained from suggesting where they could put it and haven't been back since.

One time while crossing into Canada I was asked if I had any guns or ammo ...
I told the guard,
"Nope, Going to a family reunion, nobody up here I'd waste a bullet on!".
I wasn't searched.

On 5 June 1973, Canadian radio commentator Gordon Sinclair decided he'd had enough of the stream of criticism and negative press recently directed at the United States of America by foreign journalists (primarily over America's long military involvement in Vietnam, which had ended with the signing of the Paris Peace Accords six months earlier). When he arrived at radio station CFRB in Toronto that morning, he spent twenty minutes dashing off a two-page editorial defending the USA against its carping critics which he then delivered in a defiant, indignant tone during his "Let's Be Personal" spot at 11:45 AM that day.....

"Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy were lifted out of the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and forgave other billions in debts. None of these countries is today paying even the interest on its remaining debts to the United States.

When the franc was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who propped it up, and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets of Paris. I was there. I saw it. When distant cities are hit by earthquakes, it is the United States that hurries in to help. This spring, 59 American communities were flattened by tornadoes. Nobody helped.

The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped billions of dollars into discouraged countries. Now newspapers in those countries are writing about the decadent, warmongering Americans. I'd like to see just one of those countries that is gloating over the erosion of the United States Dollar build its own airplane. Does any other country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tristar, or the Douglas DC-10? If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all the International airlines except Russia fly American planes?

Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or woman on the moon? You talk about Japanese technocracy, and you get radios. You talk about German technocracy, and you get automobiles. You talk about American technocracy, and you find men on the moon — not once, but several times — and safely home again.

You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs right in the store window for everybody to look at. Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and hounded. They are here on our streets, and most of them, unless they are breaking Canadian laws, are getting American dollars from ma and pa at home to spend here.

When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through age, it was the American who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose. Both are still broke.

I can name you 5,000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other people in trouble. Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to the Americans in trouble? I don't think there was outside help even during the San Francisco earthquake.

Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them get kicked around. They will come out of this thing with their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not one of those."

By 1980 Canadians pretty much forgot those words and continued increasing the national tendency towards the current iteration of their own special blend of narcissistic smugness that is the current National Identity. The country has become a Monty Pythonesque play with Orwellian themes.
My wife I got the Hell out of there in 1988, became US citizens in 1993, and I only return for short visits a very tiny (and shrinking) fraction of the family,
(and to re-enjoy the crossing south)

I sold an expensive car to a Canadian who lived up in B.C. and when he crossed the border, I got a call from the CBP asking if it was paid for.
I told them "Yes, it's paid for" and they thanked me and hung up.
It was a car owned by my deceased friend and I was liquidating his estate.
After a few minutes, I realized that the CBP didn't know who I was, and the new car owner could have given them any phone number to cover his story.

Last year the wife and I decided to check out hwy 3 in BC to a little town above Glacier National Park on my Goldwing. We ride to the crossing not far from Republic WA and as I pull up there is no one there (visible) and no other vehicles. I come to a sign that says "stop here". I stopped there and after about 30 seconds we rode another 50 feet to the gate and stopped. The canuck proceeds to chastise me for pulling forward and I said "Dude, the sign said Stop, NOT Wait here until told to pull up to the gate! There was nobody here so I figured I could pull forward. If you want, I'll push the bike back and you can tell me to pull forward....
He calms down.
He asks for Passports and why we're there. I told him a 3 day pleasure cruise as he scans my passport.
He looks at his screen and asks "do you have a gun"?
I said "yes, they are at home in my safe next to my concealed license because I didn't feel like making a donation to the Canadian government. And I won't lie because I have no desire to spend 5 years in your prisons without a trial!
He said "When you're on you bike, where do you normally carry it?"
So I opened up the left side of my vest and said "Right here and on the right side I carry 2 extra magazines"
Then he told us to have a nice day...........

They know if you have a concealed license so unless you feel like a prostate exam from someone who isn't your doctor,o_Oo_Oo_O be nice:cool:

Seriously, you guys should see some of the horror-stories about Canadian border guards and Customs over on FlyerTalk frequent-flyer forum... it sounds like their Gestapo and our Gestapo are in a competition for who can outdo the other as far as dickery to the other's citizens.

Canada... generally nice people, but their government blows--it's like they combined the worst of British, French and American practices there. :(

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top