JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have crossed in Blaine on more than one occasion. Always in winter, and always asked on the Canadian side if we had guns. No sufficed, and in all cases but one, we simply drove through, even though we were towing an enclosed trailer with 4 snowmobiles inside. Coming back through the US side has been another matter. Last winter I failed to declare an Orange. It was on the dash, so it wasn't like I was trying to hide it. We are asked to leave our vehicle and enter the holding building, at which point we guessed it was just a random search. When we were called up to the counter, the agent had my orange and asked who's it was. I claimed it promptly, at which point I was advised I was looking at a fine of well over $400.00. I actually laughed out loud, and told the agent I was repatriating the Orange as I had bought it in the US, and asked him if he wanted to see the receipt. Both my buddies started laughing. Big mistake. 30 minutes later we were finally allowed to leave after a major chewing out. After 911 it took years to get off a watch list that resulted in delays and hassles at numerous national and international airports. And a stupid orange almost got me back on it. I can't image how much trouble an undeclared gun would cause.

I don't take "chewing out"s very well.
Unless one of those fellows is my father, I'd chew back, and to hell with the schedule. Sure, they can make your schedule screwed up for awhile, and cost a ridiculous fine though.

Hm. Tough spot.

Out of curiousity, if you HAD produced the receipt, and had been demanding of due respect (as they probably expected from you) how do you think it would have turned out?

One of the worst trends that I get my steam pressure up about is the abuse of position, or abuse of authority. It's been stated by some wise men that the abuse of authority/position is the worst crime a human can commit.
I'm not sure it's the worst, but it sure can be bad.

When I meet someone in law enforcement and the opportunity arises I remind them of the importance of doing what is right, and being respectful to everyone. An arrogant authority has forgotten his/her true position.

Heck, I do the same thing with customer service reps. It -usually- turns out nice.

Out of curiousity, if you HAD produced the receipt, and had been demanding of due respect (as they probably expected from you) how do you think it would have turned out?

PMB, it was made very clear to us that producing the receipt would have no effect, and I would have gotten the fine for arguing. Rather then chew back, we couldn't help but laugh even harder at how silly it all was. Which only upset them more. Which made us laugh even more. I pity whoever came behind us, as we burned up any humor they held in reserve that day. (Although one agent off to the side had to walk away when I made the comment about repatriating the orange. He was starting to laugh...)

I hope not as that's protected info under WA law.

I assume they also have a list of names for CPL owners, such that you might get questions if your name pops up. LE in WA State already gets notified if they check your driver's license during a traffic stop. It would be easy to feed the CPL database on to other agencies.

Well they run your license plate so it probably comes up with that. The only time I was ever asked gun questions was during the time I had my CPL.

Well they run your license plate so it probably comes up with that. The only time I was ever asked gun questions was during the time I had my CPL.

I doubt very much that Canadian authorities have access to the WA CPL database. I know the various US agencies do but Canada is a foreign country.

I've crossed the border a few times, both at Port Angeles and Blaine. I have NRA Life Member decals prominently displayed on my 4 x 4 "assault vehicle," but have never been asked about guns. Not once. Same experience crossing in N. Dakota; no one cared.

A colleague at work shoots international pistol competition, sometimes in Canada. He applied for and jumped through a bunch of hoops to be able to take his pistols to the shooting matches, so it is do-able. I chatted with RCMP in B.C. once who said most of the pistols they confiscate are from US police officers, many of those from California and beyond, on vacation.

I leave mine with a friend in Tacoma, and pick them up on my way south.

Funny, I never have any problems getting into Canada - I've made the trip many times, just to visit friends or eat food (HK-style Chinese food in Vancouver BC is quite good, and used to be a lot cheaper than the US thanks to the exchange rate).

Now, on the return trip... that's where I've gotten some heavy harassment by the US border patrol now Department of "Homeland Security". I've learned the hard way to always have my US passport handy, because despite the fact I'm a 4th generation American who's lived nearly my entire life in Seattle, I still get asked a ridiculous amount of questions because of my face and family name. I guess I'm not fazed by it anymore... I just give polite, short answers.

"Yes, sir." or "No, sir."

Yes Deen Ad,
From Spokane, Washington We followed a drug dealer into Canada. via Idaho Border. He got 7 year, They took the drugs, money & Vehicle too. I was working so we stopped at the US side of the Border where we dropped off are Guns and walked over to the Canadian Side and told CBP the persons in the car they were talking with had Drugs. They were not to happy about it but we're glad we told them of the Drugs. Walk back over to the USBP got are Guns and went back to Spokane.
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

Went to vancouver last week. Cop asked if I had a CPL, I didn't want to say no, had no idea if they had that info. He grilled me on everything he could think of about my guns. How many holsters, what type, where did they sit on my body... where do I keep gun in car... on and on. Luckily, I didn't get to go to the special line and get inspected. This was a first for me, I felt like I was filling out a gun survey for them. Could they be collecting data on us?

Went to vancouver last week. Cop asked if I had a CPL, I didn't want to say no, had no idea if they had that info. He grilled me on everything he could think of about my guns. How many holsters, what type, where did they sit on my body... where do I keep gun in car... on and on. Luckily, I didn't get to go to the special line and get inspected. This was a first for me, I felt like I was filling out a gun survey for them. Could they be collecting data on us?

Wow, that is unnerving.
Did you answer all of those questions? If not, which ones did you tell them to bugger off about?
I have already "rehearsed" how I will answer that type of questioning, even though I thought it was extremely unlikely to happen.

"I have a CPL. Respectfully, any other information is personal."

Does it seem belligerent? I am not trying to be, but I think it's pretty important to "educate" intrusive LEO's about how they SHOULD be viewing us as the backbone of America.

I. Used to go a cross the Dutch/German border often. Border guard. All over the world are all a pin in the butt. At least you Don"have CAnadian border guards pointing a machine com at you while they ask you questions.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top