JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Canadian Border Patrol has 2 functions:
1. Harass Americans, especially the evil gun owning ones.
2. Ensure returning Canadians have crammed their vehicles with as much crap from Costco as possible.

Both of the above need modification. They harass Canadians too and the Costco check is to make sure the Canadians pay taxes to import the items.

As for the OP, the border guards will ask you whatever questions they feel like. It's best to grin and bear it otherwise they can turn you away. I know it sucks but it's best to smile and get it over as soon as possible.

Long guns can be brought into Canada but handguns can only be brought in if you have a restricted firearms license (Americans can get this license too), have filed the authorization for transport, have the unloaded handgun with a trigger lock in a locked container and the ammunition in a separate locked container.

Does the OP have a CHL? Might that be the reason for the extended questioning?

We have a condo at Whistler as well. I hate it. I'd like to dump it and get one at Glacier.

I used to live in Canada, and I can tell you that they catch people all the time bringing a firearm into Canada. I am not surprised at the questions. She may have simply been looking to see if you would stumble on a question that might indicate that you have a firearm with you at that point in time.

I assume they also have a list of names for CPL owners, such that you might get questions if your name pops up. LE in WA State already gets notified if they check your driver's license during a traffic stop. It would be easy to feed the CPL database on to other agencies.

A note to everyone. You will not get your firearm back if you crossed the border with it and it was subsequently confiscated. Be smart and leave it at home. Moreover, your name would likely be flagged such that you would get more hassle on your next border crossing.

Peter

I have crossed many times since I've had my CHL. Never an issue, and never any weird questions when going north. Returning to the US has been hit or miss - most often easy, but occasionally a lot more questions than I would expect. My Canadian inlaws find it to be the opposite - generally easy to pass into the US, but lots of questions (and occasional inspections) from their own border guards when crossing back to Canada. It makes sense though since the currencies are pretty much at par (lots of Canadian shoppers crossing over to avoid their damnable taxes).

I used to live in Canada, and I can tell you that they catch people all the time bringing a firearm into Canada. I am not surprised at the questions. She may have simply been looking to see if you would stumble on a question that might indicate that you have a firearm with you at that point in time.

I assume they also have a list of names for CPL owners, such that you might get questions if your name pops up. LE in WA State already gets notified if they check your driver's license during a traffic stop. It would be easy to feed the CPL database on to other agencies.

A note to everyone. You will not get your firearm back if you crossed the border with it and it was subsequently confiscated. Be smart and leave it at home. Moreover, your name would likely be flagged such that you would get more hassle on your next border crossing.

Peter

Why would the US be providing the CPL list to Canada. That is a different country they shouldn't have that information. I could see US customs having access. And last time I heard WA was over a year backed up on entering CPL holder information into the database that cops have access to.

Like was previously mentioned these were just questions to gauge the responses and reactions to see if firearms were present.

My last trip up was in '07, no problem going into Canada, just a 2 hour wait to come back.
Even on the ferry, I'v only been checked on return to US.
But then, I'm old.:)

Grommit, in this day and age I assume various agencies know a lot more about us that expected or desired, including the Canadian border patrol. I'm not saying I agree or like it, but I assume it has been happening for several years now.

Peter

Last year I was held up for two hours crossing the boarder to whistler. They wanted to know why I had prints on file. CPL and FFL03. Got the special treatment and search. They were very concerned if I had any weapons. The Boarder officer thought he was the guardian of Canada, and the two lady officers searching the car were less than competent. Had to show them how use the fob to get into the trunk lol.
Sent me on my way. Went two weeks ago on the Clipper with no issue.

My wife is Canadian so we head up to visit family a couple times a year. Back in 2010, we drove to the Hwy395 border crossing and were subject to a random search. Well, the wife neglected to share that we had a couple extra bottles of gift wine on board that were not declared but found during the search. The next words I heard were, "This is your lucky day. We practice our searches on the Chevy Tahoe (our car model) and know how to take them down to parade rest!" They weren't lying. I sat as directed and watched them disassemble our car for about three hours. This included removal of the door panels and using a boroscope camera in the headliner, carpets, seats and all existing voids. They were really enjoying it to. Everything we owned was unpacked and separated on multiple tables for inspection. I spent a half hour answering questions just about the contents of my wallet and what my connection was to the various business cards I carry. I was pissed, but also with my wife because I usually know and NEED to ALWAYS know everything we have on board. No F'ing surprises! They managed to put our car back together, as well as panel clips reseat after being pulled out, as we repacked all of our belongings. They then gave us the option to pay a $100 fine, pay penalties for the extra booze and not be entered as a risk in the Canadian Security database OR pay no fine, forfeit the booze and become a Canadian security risk. WTF! Trust me, I wanted to say FU, return to the states and never return but with the family connection this wasn't really an option, so we paid up. We have crossed numerous times since then with no issues but my sphincter always puckers a tad. Oh, and I give the wife a little security screening of my own before we load anything for travel.

We travel to Canada regularly. We ALWAYS get asked if we have any guns with us.

This is because Americans are STUPID, and think INTERNATIONAL BORDER is meant for someone else.

According to the Canadian Customs people I've dealt with, ALL of who have been unfailingly polite and helpful (Unlike the US Customs Service) Americans are notorious for "forgetting" that they have a gun in the glove box.

After 30 years of international travel, I'm not surprised. Americans seem to not grasp the whole part of "You're not in America anymore" in a way that no one else seems to.

I am done with Canada also.

I used to enjoy going to Vancouver, Victoria BC, and Whistler Blackcomb, but the bull crap they put you through to enter their country (and not because of firearm questions) over land makes it not worth it.

I rather keep my dollars in my own country.

I talk to a lot of RV transporters who have related similar incidents at the border - and worse. One was asked by the BP specifically where he kept his guns in his house. The 'tossing' of vehicle interiors is not uncommon either - and they don't help pick the stuff up.

I am done with Canada also.

I used to enjoy going to Vancouver, Victoria BC, and Whistler Blackcomb, but the bull crap they put you through to enter their country (and not because of firearm questions) over land makes it not worth it.

I rather keep my dollars in my own country.

Funny, I've been treated a WHOLE lot better by Canadian customs than I ever have by American Gestapo.

Try traveling to Africa or Mid-Asia. You clearly, as most Americans do, fail to grasp the idea that you are traveling to ANOTHER COUNTRY, not another state in YOURS.

The fact that she asked if there ever been firearms in the car might indicate that there been some traces picked up by monitoring systems.
Sounds unlikely?
A friend of mine got prostate cancer a fee years back and got a tiny, tinny, radioactive 'seed' put on to kill the tumor. So little that a normal geiger meter barely could tell. The border personnel was at full alert when he pulled up and had picked it up from a loooong ways away..!
Some gun powder residue would probably be a easy to pick up.

We travel to Canada regularly. We ALWAYS get asked if we have any guns with us.

This is because Americans are STUPID, and think INTERNATIONAL BORDER is meant for someone else.

According to the Canadian Customs people I've dealt with, ALL of who have been unfailingly polite and helpful (Unlike the US Customs Service) Americans are notorious for "forgetting" that they have a gun in the glove box.

After 30 years of international travel, I'm not surprised. Americans seem to not grasp the whole part of "You're not in America anymore" in a way that no one else seems to.

Funny, in several trips to Alaska, all the border guards on both sides have been rude. Not only rude, but out of their way to be rude. It is slightly better at the Alaska/Canada border than the Sumas, WA checkpoint. At least at the AK/Canada, I have at least just been waived through after a few questions. When I'm coming or going from Alaska, all I want is to either get there or get home. I'm not trying to "invade" their country or disregard their laws. But honestly, I had an easier time getting into and out of Spain than I did Canada.

Last time I crossed, I was crossing over with a friend for new years eve 2012, going to a concert and staying the night, and coming back new years day. This was before I became I gun owner. However, I always keep prepared for anything in my car, and I do keep some of my camping gear in there, so I keep a few small knives in the car, tools, and a shovel (I go off-roading as well).

I was asked if I owned any firearms (no), and what I was going to be doing in Canada.

Then my friend and myself got asked what we do for a living (we're both engineers).

After some other questions, they asked us to pull to the side. We both then got interviewed separately. While we were being interviewed, they were searching inside my car. They went over the same questions. The border agent wanted to see my wallet. Saw I had about $200 in USD. He asked why I was carrying so much. I told him I always keep cash on me just in case.
Then asked me why I have knives in the car. Told him I have a number of tools in the car since I go camping and off-roading. I guess he doesn't get that I just like to be prepared for things.
He kept grilling me until he finally said he's making sure we're not bringing in drugs into the country.

Anyways, I'm completely clean, I have no drugs, I'm not up to no-good, and all of that hassle at the border was completely and utterly annoying. They rummaged through all of my car's compartments and any cracks and seams they could check.

The next day on the way back into the US, less than 15 seconds with the border agent and we we're back on US soil.

Never coming back again, Canada.

I hope not as that's protected info under WA law.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top