JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Conspiracy theories and paranoia are a cancer in conservatism and the pro 2A movement.
Biased reporting from the media might as well be cancer for the 2A movement. You can chalk it up to lack of knowledge if you're less paranoid but whatever the reason it doesn't do the 2A cause any good. Good luck educating them on their errors, they don't seem interested learning.

Honestly didn't know it was that exact. So would two of the same type of barrell impart enough distinguishing characteristics on the projectile that will be able to recognized later?

Yes. The basic marks from the lands and grooves would be very similar, but toolmarks and micro-details are always individual. Forensic science is very advanced today. Very difficult to get away with murder.

What interests me is that it appears from reading this thread that they did not find the slide/barrel to do a ballistic comparison, they only found that she at some point bought those. IMO, that's suspicion but not proof.

Don't they still have to prove their suspect actually pulled the trigger, and not just owned the gun.o_O

If her husband drowned in the family pool .... even if they could prove she owned the pool and changed the Ph and added chlorine ....wouldn't they need to prove she intentionally held him under water?

They don't really have to prove she pulled the trigger. That almost never happens. How would it? A detective would have to catch them in the act, or they would have to confess. But they do need an immense amount of evidence. Blood evidence, forensics, etc. Merely owning the murder weapon I don't think is enough. And in this case, they can't even find the murder weapon.

If she owned a pool and wrote a book about drowning her husband, would it not have been unwise to actually drown her husband? Or is it reverse psychology... "Would I really have been stupid enough to write a book about it and then do it?" Some criminals think they are smart enough to fool a jury. I'm reminded of the O.J. book "I didn't do it, but if I had done it, this is how..." Guilty as sin, but got away with murder due to rampant inept Detectives, Prosecution, Judge, and Forensic department. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

They didn't track a firearm back to her. That is one major reason why KATU is doing a disservice to Oregonians by playing up this untraceable BS. We should educate KATU on this with some letters since they removed any opportunity for comments on their stories.
No, not the original firearm barrel, but if I recall correctly, they traced through credit transactions the purchase of the barrel she used and then confirmed the bullet was fired from that barrel when swapped in the firearm.
I read this article like a month ago, so it's weird timing in that it's old news.

No, not the original firearm barrel, but if I recall correctly, they traced through credit transactions the purchase of the barrel she used and then confirmed the bullet was fired from that barrel when swapped in the firearm.
I read this article like a month ago, so it's weird timing in that it's old news.
The difference between the new article I posted and the oregon live article from last month was that KATU decided to use the term untraceable firearm kit for some unknown reason. And of course the antis are taking advantage of that.

The difference between the new article I posted and the oregon live article from last month was that KATU decided to use the term untraceable firearm kit for some unknown reason. And of course the antis are taking advantage of that.
Oh, I assumed it was the same article.
Not that it would matter, but has anyone pointed the idiocy of their statement?
Like, how can something be traced back to a person if the item was indeed untraceable?

Oh, I assumed it was the same article.
Not that it would matter, but has anyone pointed the idiocy of their statement?
Like, how can something be traced back to a person if the item was indeed untraceable?
idiocy is a hallmark trait of the antis as evidenced by this statement here from LEVO: and "ghost" or printed guns are declared unlawful anywhere. (Source Lift Every Voice Oregon)

idiocy is a hallmark trait of the antis as evidenced by this statement here from LEVO: and "ghost" or printed guns are declared unlawful anywhere. (Source Lift Every Voice Oregon)
I'm sorry, I'm stuck on this sentence "But investigators say they later discovered that in December 2017 Crampton-Brophy bought a kit online from GhostGuns.com to make a similar, untraceable version of the pistol." and that the guy ended the article by saying "pleaded"... which phrasing irks me.

I'm sorry, I'm stuck on this sentence "But investigators say they later discovered that in December 2017 Crampton-Brophy bought a kit online from GhostGuns.com to make a similar, untraceable version of the pistol." and that the guy ended the article by saying "pleaded"... which phrasing irks me.
That statement by itself would make me think she did in fact purchase all the components of a complete pistol with a 80% frame. But other statements in the same article and in the other article tend to suggest she just bought parts and probably not including a frame. It would be interesting to see the receipt, listing what she purchased?

That statement by itself would make me think she did in fact purchase all the components of a complete pistol with a 80% frame. But other statements in the same article and in the other article tend to suggest she just bought parts and probably not including a frame. It would be interesting to see the receipt, listing what she purchased?
What I'm hung up on is that it says the investigators traced to her untraceable firearms parts... so which is it?

According to the articles she bought a barrel and possibly a slide for the firearm she bought, which was obviously traced back to her...

the purchase of the barrel she used and then confirmed the bullet was fired from that barrel when swapped in the firearm

I have not read anywhere that they did a forensic ballistics test and matched the bullets that killed the husband to the barrel that she bought. My understanding is that the slide and barrel are unrecovered/unfound. Unless I am mistaken. If you have other information, could you please provide a link to it? ... At this point I'm kinda confused. :confused:

"matched the same caliber"

It seems the use of the word "matched" is a poor choice. I'm reading it as "of the same caliber".

According to the articles she bought a barrel and possibly a slide for the firearm she bought, which was obviously traced back to her...

Again, I think it's the way things are being written. Nothing was traced! What I read is that they found credit card info that indicates she made a purchase from GhostGuns and perhaps that maker told them it was a kit. The kit part is unclear to me. It is entirely possible, in fact likely, that she never purchased a 80% lower and the reporters are labeling the slide/barrel gun part combo as "untraceable"... a bit of BS that would fit with the agenda of 978-5.

The more news reports I read about this the more confused I get. The first linked story indicates she bought the untraceable parts in 2017, then bought the actual gun at a gun show in 2018.

The newest link indicates she already had a Glock, bought another gun in 2017, then bought a slide and barrel in 2018. Now I'm not sure if the first gun was ruled out as the murder weapon, or both.

The entire story is so bizarre I don't know what to think.

I have not read anywhere that they did a forensic ballistics test and matched the bullets that killed the husband to the barrel that she bought. My understanding is that the slide and barrel are unrecovered/unfound. Unless I am mistaken. If you have other information, could you please provide a link to it? ... At this point I'm kinda confused. :confused:

"matched the same caliber"

It seems the use of the word "matched" is a poor choice. I'm reading it as "of the same caliber".

Again, I think it's the way things are being written. Nothing was traced! What I read is that they found credit card info that indicates she made a purchase from GhostGuns and perhaps that maker told them it was a kit. The kit part is unclear to me. It is entirely possible, in fact likely, that she never purchased a 80% lower and the reporters are labeling the slide/barrel gun part combo as "untraceable"... a bit of BS that would fit with the agenda of 978-5.
I can't seem to find the article, but maybe I took the term "matched" from one of these articles too literally and time had fun with my imagination.
Closest I could recall was this one...
Gun parts bought online at center of Oregon romance novelist's suspected spouse slaying

I can't seem to find the article, but maybe I took the term "matched" from one of these articles too literally and time had fun with my imagination.
Gun parts bought online at center of Oregon romance novelist's suspected spouse slaying
We need to see all the receipts/invoices of all firearm related stuff she bought and we could easily sort this out.

Unfortunately to the non-firearm owner reading the KATU article, all they see is untraceable firearms bad, 978-5 good.

That's probably the most accurate write-up.

No ballistics match, and no description of parts that were bought... The public, and us, don't really know anything material about this case. Court records sealed... will have to wait for the trial.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top