JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A few days ago there was a thread about how to reach out to moderates to support the 2A, and it was brought up that we need to show that gun rights is not a partisan issue. This trend shows this happening, thing is those many of these new gun owners are probably way more diversified in their political beliefs and probably support several gun control polices, while that may make many solid gun rights supporters cringe still however we come to terms with that its still a huge net positive for gun ownership and rights to see the diversity grow.

It seems to me that the 2nd Amendment is for all US Citizens...therefore it has always been diverse.

I understand that like with any group...there are stereotypes , or at least some sort of commonly held image of someone within a group.
However like most stereotypes , that commonly held image , may not be true for all within a given group.

Minorities owning* firearms are not really new in America.
York , William Clark's Slave , carried and used firearms during the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
Having read and re-read the journals of Lewis , Clark and others from that expedition , I have not found any disparaging remarks concerning York's usage of firearms . which is interesting because :
At the time of the expedition , Slaves were prohibited the usage of firearms.
York was mentioned many times however , with variations of "York brought in deer "...again not one remark was written against his using a firearm.
York was also armed during the tense situation with the Sioux while going up river...definitely a case of "safety fears"...:D

*Now we could argue that he did not "own" the firearm he used....but that he just used one.
I just found it interesting that group of men , one of which at least was a Slave owner , and many men who were from the South , did not seem to have a issue with a Slave , having what reads to be relatively easy and common access to a firearm.

We could also argue that my example is a "case of one" and not within the norms for the time period....
And I would agree.
I still find it interesting that in 1803- 1806 a group of diverse men and women did not have any issues worth writing about when a Slave made use of a firearm.

George Drouillard was one of the most experienced hunters with the expedition...He was Metis.*
(* Historical use of the term...)
His father was a French fur trader and his mother was Shawnee.
Again , his usage and skill with firearms and hunting were favorably remarked on , by many of the Journal keepers.
And again another example of a minority owning and using firearms in America.
Andy

Last Edited:
It seems to me that the 2nd Amendment is for all US Citizens...therefore it has always been diverse.

I understand that like with any group...there are stereotypes , or at least some sort of commonly held image of someone within a group.
However like most stereotypes , that commonly held image , may not be true for all within a given group.

Minorities owning* firearms are not really new in America.
York , William Clark's Slave , carried and used firearms during the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
Having read and re-read the journals of Lewis , Clark and others from that expedition , I have not found any disparaging remarks concerning York's usage of firearms . which is interesting because :
At the time of the expedition , Slaves were prohibited the usage of firearms.
York was mentioned many times however , with variations of "York brought in deer "...again not one remark was written against his using a firearm.
York was also armed during the tense situation with the Sioux while going up river...definitely a case of "safety fears"...:D

*Now we could argue that he did not "own" the firearm he used....but that he just used one.
I just found it interesting that group of men , one of which at least was a Slave owner , and many men who were from the South , did not seem to have a issue with a Slave , having what reads to be relatively easy and common access to a firearm.

We could also argue that my example is a "case of one" and not within the norms for the time period....
And I would agree.
I still find it interesting that in 1803- 1806 a group of diverse men and women did not have any issues worth writing about when a Slave made use of a firearm.

George Drouillard was one of the most experienced hunters with the expedition...He was Metis.*
(* Historical use of the term...)
His father was a French fur trader and his mother was Shawnee.
Again , his usage and skill with firearms and hunting were favorably remarked on , by many of the Journal keepers.
And again another example of a minority owning and using firearms in America.
Andy
Besides African Americans, one example that survived well into the 20th century, at least in fiction (Hollywood), was Native Americans/indigenous peoples. You can still see this in many westerns portraying the 1800s and earlier well into the 1960s (I think, certainly the 50s), where the evil character in a movie was supplying guns to "Indians".

Besides African Americans, one example that survived well into the 20th century, at least in fiction (Hollywood), was Native Americans/indigenous peoples. You can still see this in many westerns portraying the 1800s and earlier well into the 1960s (I think, certainly the 50s), where the evil character in a movie was supplying guns to "Indians".
Prior to 1820..
The US government had "Indian Factories"...as in factories turning out trade goods , to include firearms to be given to or traded to various tribes.
By 1820 the US government abandoned the Factory System....since it could not compete with private entities and the quality of the trade items they sold or gave to the tribes.

A whole collection could be built around items and firearms of the fur trade / treaty guns....
Hey wait , I think I know someone who did that.....:D
Andy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top