JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
According to the HuffPo:

Josh Sugarmann: Gun Ownership Hits New Low as NRA Meets in Pittsburgh

"Household gun ownership has continued its decades-long decline, hitting a new low in 2010 according to new national survey data from the General Social Survey (GSS).

The GSS data is analyzed in a new Violence Policy Center report, A Shrinking Minority: The Continuing Decline of Gun Ownership in America.

The VPC has also issued a companion video to the report. "

I'm suspicious of such claims, and even more suspicious when the author takes a very blatant anti-gun slant with the rhetoric and name calling to push his obvious agenda. Even if the statistics were 100% true, the Constitution still stands.

Yep, doesn't matter what some leftist think tank says, the Constitution and it's amendments still stand.

About 80 million gun owners and about 260 million guns, some of you better get going and buy more guns!! That's only about 3 guns per owner and I know I've got more and a friend has hundreds!

8 US Presidents have been NRA members. They are: Ulysses S. Grant,
Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, Dwight D. Eisenhower,
John F. Kennedy, Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Bush.

80 MILLION gun owners didn't shoot anyone today, a few criminals did!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
Washington Arms Collector member
Arms Collectors of South West Washington member

"Household gun ownership has continued its decades-long decline, hitting a new low in 2010 according to new national survey data from the General Social Survey (GSS).

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!! LMAO!!!!! Snicker Giggle Snort..

I have no reason to doubt the idea that fewer people own guns now than in the past. It is just the way things are these days. I am not even the least bit surprised by this. All the more reason to be armed. We are living in a world where fewer and fewer people are being able to defend themselves...neither from the criminal element or a rogue government.

I have no reason to doubt the idea that fewer people own guns now than in the past.

Since hunting has become far more recreational than a means to put food on the table I guess at some level it makes sense that fewer people own guns. On the other hand with the increased concern about personal information and privacy I have to wonder if people have simply stopped answering the question honestly. If the only gun(s) left in the house are for personal protection do you really want some random caller to know you have a gun?

Good post, I guess the anti-gun people don't want the truth if it does not agree with their agenda.

I know the numbers are skewed! I have led a few non gun owners to other private parties to buy guns off this sight. better for all involved and I know many that WILL NOT buy from dealers. Half of my guns have no paperwork...

That's the joy of statistics; you can make them say pretty much anything you want them to. It would not surprise me that the number of households with firearms *as a percentage* might be less. But I'm willing to bet the number of households as an actual value has increased. And that would only be counting based on firearms purchased through an FFL.

elsie

That's nice and all, but those numbers are irrelevant. Firearms sales did not increase because more people bought firearms. They increased because the same people that already owned firearms bought more of them. In many cases people bought and horded guns hoping they would be restricted and the value would go up.

I myself bought several guns that I would not normally have bought due to a fear that I might not be able to get them later.

Color me skeptical. I have direct personal knowledge of many, many new firearm owners. I'm not asking you to defend your opinion - you're entitled to it. I'm just saying that in my opinion, the article quoted is most likely propaganda serving an agenda.

Author

Josh Sugarmann

Executive director, Violence Policy Center
AKA, gun control.

People don't get your statistics from your enemy.

This is laughable. New gun owners are increasing not decreasing. Just look to real statistics like the ATF's published reports of gun sales and then look at any concealed carry state and look at the ever increasing amount of people applying for permits, those number are proof positive of reality not a propaganda piece from a negatively biased source.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Sugarmann

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violence_Policy_Center

Just look at their homepage headlines:

http://www.vpc.org/

According to the HuffPo:

Josh Sugarmann: Gun Ownership Hits New Low as NRA Meets in Pittsburgh

The GSS data is analyzed in a new Violence Policy Center report, A Shrinking Minority: The Continuing Decline of Gun Ownership in America.

The VPC has also issued a companion video to the report. "

This report or whatever it is has LIE written all over it. I can't believe with the available proof this topic was even lied about to begin with...
The NICS records indicate just the opposite, gun sales are very strong. My shop has been selling more guns in the last two years than in the preceding 3 years before that, also I am doing less gun shows now than I ever have & still my sales are high

Yeah..I gotta call BS on that one.......Come out to an Appleseed event and see dozens of new shooters at almost every event. Last year I worked about a dozen Appleseed shoots, That's literally hundreds of new shooters just last year. There will be about 2000 Appleseed shoots in 2011..That alone is tens of thousands of new shooters just this year. Yeah.....Appleseed rocks and those statistics don't...

W44

At a time of record gun sales, gun ownership is at a record low.

Seems to me that there's been allot of boating mishaps lately.
As far as the government is concerned, All of my guns went overboard on an incredibly deep lake.

I feel your pain as I too have had such an accident.

That statement reminds me of this vid:
Killing the BORG Myth with Numbers
I don't doubt sales have gone down since the buying frenzy in 08-09. The prices reflect that. But that doesn't mean gun ownership hits a new low. It just means folks armed themselves already.

•Household gun ownership peaked in 1977, when more than half (54 percent) of American households reported having any guns. By 2010, this number had dropped more than 20 percentage points to 32.3 percent of American households reporting having any guns in the home--the lowest level ever recorded by the GSS. In 2010, fewer than a third of America households reported having a gun in the home.
Hmm. Think maybe folks just wised up and don't want to share that info?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top