JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wow, itching to instigate I see :)

No, he's just making a reasonable, rational observation on how the 45 acp is such a miserable, pathetic failure. It was only the standard handgun cartridge for the most powerful nation on the planet for three quarters of a century.

Actually I suspect he was just trying to stir it up a bit, in a good natured sort of way. :)

No, he's just making a reasonable, rational observation on how the 45 acp is such a miserable, pathetic failure. It was only the standard handgun cartridge for the most powerful nation on the planet for three quarters of a century.

Actually I suspect he was just trying to stir it up a bit, in a good natured sort of way. :)

I'm just adding to the well spirited banter, however we can probably all agree, placement trumps caliber.

My uncle has a preference for .44 mag,
One of the good ones he's stated which I though was particularly funny was how my 10mm might hurt, but his 44 mag will take an arm off. Sometimes it's just simpler to let people operate with their ignorance if they are that entrenched.

Nothing malicious here. :s0155:

The myth that ballistic gel tests have convinced 9mm carriers that their puny 124 grain pill coming out of a 3 inch CCP packs the same punch as a 230 gr out of a 4-5 inch barrel.:D

NEWSFLASH. Ballisitic gel is simply one type of consistent medium for comparison testing, it is not however, real flesh and bones.

Even better is when one uses the "modern advances/greater expansion in 9mm self-defense ammo has leveled the playing field" -- as if those same modern advances haven't also been applied to 45acp SD ammo.

There's a verifiable reason why 9mm needs more capacity.

When has anyone every referred to an expanded 9mm as a "flying ashtray"?

More gun myths:

"No honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun." (guess who said that....)

"Honest men never get carjacked or assaulted by 3 or more thugs. Never happens. Criminals don't run in herds and they're easily detered merely by brandishing a chrome plated 45. The shiny pistol will blind them in the sunlight which is a tactical advantage."

"It's a one shot one kill kinda deal with the 45. The 9mm just tickles a little."

"A 9mm bullet will bounce off the skull past 10 yards. It'll mess your hair up so carry a comb just incase."

"The wound created by a 9mm will heal before you bleed out. People will think it was a pimple."

".45ACP was originally created for big game hunters to stop thick skinned charging hippo, rhino and water buffalo in their tracks with one well placed shot."

"The legaendary power of a 45 will turn a man into pink mist with one shot."

"The bullshat staps when the hammer draps."
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On the other hand... This is not a gun myth. It's true:

Cooper.png

Last Edited:
IIRC Hayden did not have an FFL when the show was filmed. His partner did, and there was a reason. :rolleyes: He always struck me as a wanna be. Just something about him that wasn't right.

Another scumbag was Rich Wyatt of American Guns,but then, I think the show was just about his wife and daughter strutting around i short shorts!

The myth that ballistic gel tests have convinced 9mm carriers that their puny 124 grain pill coming out of a 3 inch CCP packs the same punch as a 230 gr out of a 4-5 inch barrel.:D

NEWSFLASH. Ballisitic gel is simply one type of consistent medium for comparison testing, it is not however, real flesh and bones.

Even better is when one uses the "modern advances/greater expansion in 9mm self-defense ammo has leveled the playing field" -- as if those same modern advances haven't also been applied to 45acp SD ammo.

Watch Paul Harrell's videos on YouTube.

:s0069:

I'm just adding to the well spirited banter, however we can probably all agree, placement trumps caliber.

My uncle has a preference for .44 mag,
One of the good ones he's stated which I though was particularly funny was how my 10mm might hurt, but his 44 mag will take an arm off. Sometimes it's just simpler to let people operate with their ignorance if they are that entrenched.

So true, shot placement is key. That's no myth. I don't know how many times I watched the mobile butcher drop a 1,000 pound cow with a .22 magnum, when I was growing up on the farm.

Caliber wars are funny to me, I guess because I don't really have a clear favorite. I like them all. I really like my S&W revolvers in .357 and .44 mag, my 1911s in .45 acp, and my Glock in .40 S&W, but if I had to choose one to take with me and really rely on I think it would be the CZ75 in 9mm. That would depend on where I was going though.

I think most of us do the caliber war thing in good humor and don't take it very seriously, but I am surprised at what appears to be some sincere hate for the venerable old .45 acp. I don't get that. Maybe it's just a knee-jerk reaction to those on the other extreme who think the "Forty Five" is God's gift to mankind?

So true, shot placement is key. That's no myth. I don't know how many times I watched the mobile butcher drop a 1,000 pound cow with a .22 magnum, when I was growing up on the farm.

Caliber wars are funny to me, I guess because I don't really have a clear favorite. I like them all. I really like my S&W revolvers in .357 and .44 mag, my 1911s in .45 acp, and my Glock in .40 S&W, but if I had to choose one to take with me and really rely on I think it would be the CZ75 in 9mm. That would depend on where I was going though.

I think most of us do the caliber war thing in good humor and don't take it very seriously, but I am surprised at what appears to be some sincere hate for the venerable old .45 acp. I don't get that. Maybe it's just a knee-jerk reaction to those on the other extreme who think the "Forty Five" is God's gift to mankind?

People hate what their girly wrists can't control.

:s0149:

This one's not a myth. The modern advances (basically) convert speed into expansion, and 45ACP ain't got no speed. :)

ETA: Please don't nuke me, I didn't mean to caliber war - 45 is an excellent cartridge. Only pointing out the speed vs. mass part.

Last Edited:
Well for those that poo-poo the .45 acp cartridge and the 1911...
I would refer you to Sgt. York...it worked then and it still works now.

Are there newer and "better" choices in a pistol or cartridge...Yes for some folks...
I still prefer to use what works for me...which also happens to be a 1911A1 style pistol and the .45 acp cartridge.
Andy

This one's not a myth. The modern advances (basically) convert speed into expansion, and 45ACP ain't got no speed. :)

ETA: Please don't nuke me, I didn't mean to caliber war - 45 is an excellent cartridge. Only pointing out the speed vs. mass part.

Lol. I think I started it already. The magazine capacity is what drew me away from 45 not its performance.

Well for those that poo-poo the .45 acp cartridge and the 1911...
I would refer you to Sgt. York...it worked then and it still works now.

Are there newer and "better" choices in a pistol or cartridge...Yes for some folks...
I still prefer to use what works for me...which also happens to be a 1911A1 style pistol and the .45 acp cartridge.
Andy

A 1911 saved my bacon on a few different occasions. I can say without reservation or hesitation that if you thunk someone in the center of their chest or brain box with a 230 gr. FMJ it'll take the fight right out of them.

Shot placement...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads