JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, we've all seen them; totally incorrect, but oft repeated, gun myths that simply refuse to die, despite overwhelming, demonstrable, and documented evidence to the contrary. They may be in the area of ballistics, mechanical properties, war stories, history, legal issues, or just plain old bullplop.

What are some you often encounter? Any a pet peeve? Do you bother countering them anymore? Enjoy! :s0155:
Right off the top of my head.....

….30-30 Lever action is a 100 yard deer gun. Period.

…..22 rimfire is ONLY for plinking.

...break action single shots are cheap shotguns that are only good for teaching someone to shoot shotguns.

Dean

...just remembered one more........birdshot is absolutely ineffective for home defense.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it! ( ;) )

Dean

While I prefer the use of buckshot for home defense...#4 bird shot ( lead ) sure has its place in home defense...
It hits " hard " for most household shooting distances....I wouldn't feel undergunned with that loading.

Either way...I will stick to tobacco for my pipe....:D
Andy

….now I want slip a little Sir Walter Raleigh into my ol' Briar, but I just remembered....I quit smoking 10 years ago. :s0140:;)

P.S. - ...anyway, who wants to suck up their own spit. Yech! :confused:

While I prefer the use of buckshot for home defense...#4 bird shot ( lead ) sure has its place in home defense...
It hits " hard " for most household shooting distances....I wouldn't feel undergunned with that loading.

Andy

Ditto. I load ours with 00 Buck, but could roll with #4. I wouldn't something like #9 though.

Been a while since I've smoked a pipe, but still have a few. Think I'll stick with cigars. :s0112:

Ditto. I load ours with 00 Buck, but could roll with #4. I wouldn't something like #9 though.

Been a while since I've smoked a pipe, but still have a few. Think I'll stick with cigars. :s0112:
I've played around with the idea of bird shot for home defense...as I love to hunt grouse and always seem to have a shotgun of some sort handy with #7 1/2 and #6 bird shot with it...
Yeah #9 shot not so much to like for this role....#7 1/2 is better....#6 better still and #4 seems to have it down well...at least out of my guns and for the distances in my home....

Regardless of what shot or gun I have....I ain't going to curl up and wait to die , just cause all I have is a bird gun and birdshot...

As for pipes...
I don't smoke regularly...but I do have a "medicine bag" with a hand made catlinite pipe...that gets used at the proper time.
Andy

And I cain't believe that in all these 1911 caliber discussions, the venerable .38 Superb has not been mentioned once.

.38 Superb gives you speed, impact, AND capacity.

View attachment 608817
The .38 Super is a fine cartridge...I like it as well and have shot a friends 1911A1 from 1938 in it...
But I'll stick to my .45 acp in my series 70 Colt.
As I said :
"Are there newer and "better" choices in a pistol or cartridge...Yes for some folks..."
Andy

The .38 Super is a fine round, the problem is quality defensive and bulk training ammo is few and far between compared to rounds like 45acp and 9x19mm.

'They' only want to pass 1 more gun law and then they will be content.

'They' don't want to take all the guns.

This has got to be just about the biggest myth of all. It's always just one more restriction, another "common sense" law. Yes, the reality is that they really do want them all.

I was watching a YouTube video a while back, forget who, but he was describing some political discussion with a politician regarding gun control. She was cornered with the fact that her proposed "common sense" restriction would in practice ban more guns than intended, or something along those lines.

She shot back arrogantly, "Well maybe we should just take them all away".

I don't know who all the crowd was in attendance, constituents I assume, but they all cheered. Take them all away, that's what they want.

The .38 Super is a fine round, the problem is quality defensive and bulk training ammo is few and far between compared to rounds like 45acp and 9x19mm.
The .38 Super is derived from the .38 acp, which pushed a 129 gr. bullet out of the muzzle @ 800 ft./sec.
Could be a nice training round, although I'm thinking you'd have to handload for it.
I don't think I've ever seen a box of .38 acp.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Country Gent @ Andy in Everson,

Re: birdshot 4 home defense - I have about 11 boxes of W-W D&P 20ga. 1 oz. #6 loads. I know the modified chokes in either my H&R or the 1100 will create a pattern about a foot wide at 30 feet.
If it comes down to it, I don't think I'm going to get much more oppression from the perp after I unload a round or two into him.

Dean

Last Edited:

Andy

#4 is actually considered buckshot, I would not hesitate to use it for defensive purposes, #7 1/2, 9, etc not so much.

shotsize.jpg

The .38 Super is derived from the .38 acp, which pushed a 129 gr. bullet out of the muzzle @ 800 ft./sec.
Could be a nice training round, although I'm thinking you'd have to handload for it.
I don't think I've ever seen a box of .38 acp.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Country Gent @ Andy in Everson,

Re: birdshot 4 home defense - I have about 11 boxes of W-W D&P 20ga. 1 oz. #6 loads. I know the modified choke in my H&R or the 1100 will create a pattern about a foot wide at 30 feet.
If it comes down to it, I don't think I'm going to get much more oppression from the perp after I unload a round or two into him.

Dean

Again it boils down to availability and I would question how well .38acp would run in .38 Super 1911.

------------------------------------------------------

I would want rely on #6 bird shot, there is a massive difference between #6 birdshot and #4 buckshot

#4 is actually considered buckshot, I would not hesitate to use it for defensive purposes, #7 1/2, 9, etc not so much.

View attachment 608965
I was indeed referring to #4 Bird shot...the Heavy field load by Federal.
It would not be my first choice...as I do prefer buck shot....but as I stated it seems to work for the ranges in my home...
I also wouldn't have #9 , #7 1/2 or #6 bird shot as my first choice either...but if it was all that I had....I wouldn't just up and give up either....

Also I am not wanting to start a debate over the just what shot to use for home defense...
Just saying that I have played around with various loads both bird and buck shot...and have found that #4 bird shot seems to work...again for my home...but to be clear....I still would use buck shot over bird shot if given a choice...

it was just a case of "What if all I had was...." not any sort of definitive case study....
Andy

I remember a guy selling my dad a couple boxes of magnum #2 birdshot 12gauge shells, saying it was ideal for home defense. He probably still has those same two full boxes sitting in his closet to this day.

There are plenty of online sources for .38 Super and it can be reasonably priced if purchased in bulk.

I've been told that round is a reloaders dream. It can be loaded "mild to wild."

I don't reload myself . . . .

Again it boils down to availability and I would question how well .38acp would run in .38 Super 1911.

------------------------------------------------------

.38 ACP runs just fine. The modern equivalent to that round would be 9mm Largo, which is also a 9x23 round. The government adopted the .38 Super around the Bonnie & Clyde era because it would penetrate thick automotive steel and body armor of the day better than .45 ACP.

Modern .38 Super ammo can exceed 1,300 FPS, which shoot quite straight and packs a punch.

If you've never shot a decent .38 Super round, everything you "think" is just speculation.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top