JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Though not as bad as that by a long shot, my father, back in the day (early 80s) would sometimes shoot a pistol in a weird stance; bow legged and left arm off to the side. Oh, he hit what he was aiming at, but it was a curious pose. My late uncle (God rest his soul) was the youngest in my father's family and I vaguely remember he did so too before his early death. I had, largely, forgotten about it, then a few weeks I was watching episodes of That 70s Show and the character Fez did something pretty close:

8w2AD2M.jpg

Still no idea why. But the keyed memory made me laugh. :s0112:

Rugers are weak because they are cast.
The ignorance of metallurgy in that statement still rankles me.
Due to the composition of the material and the way it's cast, the strength of the investment cast bolts and actions of a Ruger are more durable than a forged part, yet so many "experts" still claim they are like cast iron and weak in comparison to other manufacturing techniques. Last time I checked, turbines in jet engines are investment cast...
Two things going together really piss me off. Ignorance coupled with arrogance.

I can't seem to find the video from a couple decades ago, but Chuck Schumer stating that a semi-auto can be converted easily to full-auto with a, quote, "paper-clip". :rolleyes:
There was a court case 20 years back in which a firearms expert was retained by the BATmen to explain how a person could convert a semi rifle and pistol easily. He showed
the world with blow up photos and video how to use a shoestring in the rifle and a paper clip in a pistol. They worked great full auto. BATF tried to have the evidence suppressed judge said it stands.

When they say The shooter had a "high caliber weapon".

What's that??? high in number? Diameter?

Guess I should ask KGW...
Maybe they just really liked the gun, you know, for its personality. :D

caliber
noun
cal·i·ber | \ ˈka-lə-bər How to pronounce caliber (audio) , British also kə-ˈlē-\
variants: or calibre
Definition of caliber

1a: degree of mental capacity or moral quality <--
b: degree of excellence or importance
2a: the diameter of a bullet or other projectile
b: the diameter of a bore of a gun usually expressed in hundredths or thousandths of an inch and typically written as a decimal fraction
3: the diameter of a round or cylindrical body: especially the internal diameter of a hollow cylinder

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/caliber

So, we've all seen them; totally incorrect, but oft repeated, gun myths that simply refuse to die, despite overwhelming, demonstrable, and documented evidence to the contrary. They may be in the area of ballistics, mechanical properties, war stories, history, legal issues, or just plain old bullplop.

What are some you often encounter? Any a pet peeve? Do you bother countering them anymore? Enjoy! :s0155:

I like trying to prove the point that a skinny barrel can shoot well. As long as it's a good barrel. Most people think the opposite and I have to prove to them that they are smoking something. It's a myth that a lot of guys can't let go of. A while back, I started a thread titled, "share your $400.00 budget rifles: Here's mine". I showed some targets of some groups before glass bedding and new trigger and they were ho-hum. I got some comments like you'll never get it to shoot real well, unless you let the barrel cool between 3 shot groups. Another funny "myth" right there. Anyway, after proper glass bedding the action and freefloating the barrel and upgraded trigger I've proven rifles can shoot day in and day out with a skinny barrel:
Y03GMNY.jpg
JNX0uWl.jpg

Here's how it shot at my clubs last centerfire shoot:
4krqdmK.jpg

I have many more examples/rifles that shoot just as well. My pre 64 featherweights, 7 pound 338wm and my 5.9 pound Tikka superlite, just to name a few.

Last Edited:
Maybe they just really liked the gun, you know, for its personality. :D

caliber
noun
cal·i·ber | \ ˈka-lə-bər How to pronounce caliber (audio) , British also kə-ˈlē-\
variants: or calibre
Definition of caliber

1a: degree of mental capacity or moral quality <--
b: degree of excellence or importance
2a: the diameter of a bullet or other projectile
b: the diameter of a bore of a gun usually expressed in hundredths or thousandths of an inch and typically written as a decimal fraction
3: the diameter of a round or cylindrical body: especially the internal diameter of a hollow cylinder

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/caliber

Do not forget on Navy large guns it was the length of the barrel in relationship to the diameter of the projectile. For example; the main guns on Iowa Class Battle Ships were 16 inch 50 caliber (66.6 feet long).

The wind happened after the shot was fired in my last post. The shooter has ZERO control over that, it's just the bullet and atmosphere.

Unless you are shooting with an upward trajectory, the bullet is on the ground in approximately one second. Gravitational acceleration pulls the slug to earth in the same time frame whether fired horizontally or dropped. Even when shooting 1000 yards with a slight upwards trajectory, your round will be on the target in less than three seconds.

The change in acceleration of the wind from atmospheric pressure over the same time frame (less than one second) would be minuscule. Side pressure by the wind on a fired round is fairly constant. Wind does not change direction or speed quickly enough to affect a shot "after the trigger is pulled."

This one's not a myth. The modern advances (basically) convert speed into expansion, and 45ACP ain't got no speed. :)

ETA: Please don't nuke me, I didn't mean to caliber war - 45 is an excellent cartridge. Only pointing out the speed vs. mass part.
Well for those that poo-poo the .45 acp cartridge and the 1911...
I would refer you to Sgt. York...it worked then and it still works now.

Are there newer and "better" choices in a pistol or cartridge...Yes for some folks...
I still prefer to use what works for me...which also happens to be a 1911A1 style pistol and the .45 acp cartridge.
Andy
Lol. I think I started it already. The magazine capacity is what drew me away from 45 not its performance.

And I cain't believe that in all these 1911 caliber discussions, the venerable .38 Superb has not been mentioned once.

.38 Superb gives you speed, impact, AND capacity.

Twins Colt .38 Super-003.JPG

The .38 Super is a fine cartridge...I like it as well and have shot a friends 1911A1 from 1938 in it...
But I'll stick to my .45 acp in my series 70 Colt.
As I said :
"Are there newer and "better" choices in a pistol or cartridge...Yes for some folks..."
Andy

The .38 Super is a fine cartridge...I like it as well and have shot a friends 1911A1 from 1938 in it...
But I'll stick to my .45 acp in my series 70 Colt.
As I said :
"Are there newer and "better" choices in a pistol or cartridge...Yes for some folks..."
Andy

Cannot agree more Andy ... gesh what is this world coming to, I am agreeing with and not picking on my Northern Brother from another Mother. I carried a 1911 as a duty weapon for just short of 20 years (went back to my military training from the 686 I first used). Except mine was not then, and is not now a Colt.

The only two weapons I tote around daily are a 686 snubbie and a 1911. When I was my agencies Range Master it was comical, and also a PITA trying to get the tactical tupperware shooters to like the 1911 when the agency went to them. The two least intelligent things I heard during those times were "I might not be able to get the safety disengaged in a stressful situation" and "If I put my trigger finger that high on the frame I may not be able to find it if I need it".

Of course there were the comical questions as well. If we had an already certified new hire I needed to take 'em out and get them qualified. I would always start by having them toss a couple magazines of ammo down range just to get an idea where there shooting was. Had one Officer, one of the best at his profession I have ever seen and who I consider my best friend to this day stop before sending the first rounds downrange and ask me "where should I put my feet". Knowing he was asking if I wanted him to fire from a certain shooting position. I just looked at him and said "on the ground". We both had and still to this day had a good laugh over that one. I did go on to explain that we do shoot from a 'stance' when qualifying but the qualification course is not training, it puts a check mark in my log book. The rest of the time we are in a dynamic environment and movement is a large part of it.

Have a good day my Brother up North,
Les

There it goes again, watching Philly mayor talk about "high powered weapons". Are there low powered one's as well?
The use of absolutes in discussion simply aggravates the conversations.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top