JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lol just ask Dustin or Chris from Top Shot.
I have sure seen examples of both extremes in the military! And I loved it when fellow military cops realized that the "old" 40 year old guys from motor pool (diesel mechanics) could outshoot them on the rifle range. Often times it was because they supplemented the military's limited ammo budget-based annual range day with range time on their own dime.

The myth I saw quite often was that a pistol lanyard prevented anyone from shooting you with your own pistol. I asked them exactly how the lanyard prevents the gun from being pointed back towards them, or simply unclipped while they are unconscious or restrained, and they would always stare at me. A lot of tacticool-aid drinking in the military ranks especially by the green troops. A lot of really smart wise people too though.

I may have missed it, but there's the prevailing myth that racking a pump shotgun, or basically cycling the action on any gun, will cause an intruder to need new clean pants while they set world land speed records away from you.

In reality, it 1) gives away your position, and 2) possibly ejects a live round that could have been somewhat more useful going out the barrel instead of the ejection port.

Did you flip him off as the cop was driving away?
Tempting believe me! I really did want other shooters to learn that what we had was NOT illegal to own though. Several times one who at first thought we were criminals would listen. Couple were even brave enough to ask to try. Every one was shocked that the Suppressors a couple had did not of course sound anything like the ones on TV. I would explain the ones they were seeing us use were what they really sounded like, not what holly wood had been telling them. I am sure many headed out to one of the shops we had that sold the stuff to actually ask.
At the time there was two shops (that I knew of) that sold the stuff and did the transfers. Neither one of them had ANY advertising in the store mentioning this at all. If you asked they were all over helping but even the shops did not seem to want to make it known for some reason. Can't remember if I asked them at the time. Would guess they did not want to have to deal with the same ignorance I was seeing.
On a side note I did once run into another shooter there who had a Mac but the .380 version he had just gotten. He was saying he enjoyed it but was highly annoyed at the dealer that it took 90 days for him to get the paper work back and done so he could have the gun. Wouldn't we all love to see NFA stuff come back to us in 90 days now? :confused:

I may have missed it, but there's the prevailing myth that racking a pump shotgun, or basically cycling the action on any gun, will cause an intruder to need new clean pants while they set world land speed records away from you.

In reality, it 1) gives away your position, and 2) possibly ejects a live round that could have been somewhat more useful going out the barrel instead of the ejection port.

This is a WELL over used myth to be sure. I do know of a couple times it worked though. One was me when Father and I had a place together. 2 story, my room was in basement. I come home, power is out in our place, pitch black. I go down to basement, looking for light. Father is supposed to be at work. I hear front door open, and foot steps across the floor. I pick up shorty 12, am standing across room from stairs. When I hear door to stairs open at top of stairs, which I can't see from where I am, I rack round. Immediately hear Dad yelling to me it's him. Turns out power was out at work too, he had run home to get a couple lights, did not think to call out to me when he walked in. :eek::eek:
He told that story laughing now and then for many years after that. At the time I was not doing it to scare off the intruder. I fully planed to call out to whoever was above that if they tried to come down the stairs I would take their legs out before they got down. Dad just started yelling it was him as soon as he heard me. Did have my heart pumping a little:D

Ugh, that one is really bad. I remember Jon Stewart going on a rant monologue on The Daily Show about that and how the law must change! Um, Jon, the law already doesn't allow that.

That reminds me of one of the times I was picking up an NFA item. It was the Serbu Super Shorty, which is registered as an AOW. One of the old duffers that hung out all day long at the FFL/SOT saw it, came over and said "That ain't legal! That's a sawed-off shotgun!" I replied simply, "It is legal". Not believing me, he repeated himself more loudly. The shop owner, in an annoyed tone, said "It is legal, he's paid the tax. He's also buying a silencer." Old fart puffed and went back to his chair.

Damn sounds like one of the first times I tried to fly with a gun after 9/11. I get to check in, say I need to check a gun. MORON at desk loud enough for many to hear says, "You can't check a gun in on a plane". I was trying to keep my cool as many were now staring. Said needed to see his manager. I stepped out of line to wait. He a few times make a point of pointing and telling other employee's "he's trying to take a gun on the plane". Of course every time he did a few more people looked at me like a zoo exhibit. When someone with a brain showed up they took care of me as moron stood there watching with his mouth open in disbelief. I was proud of myself that I just smiled and went on my way even though I was so damn mad inside at the jerk.
After that if we were visiting people I would send a couple guns ahead of us to be there when we got there. Since I was paying for that I would also send other stuff I did not want one of the employee's to steal. Told Wife it was worth the cost to me to not deal with the possible idiots. It is supposed to be easy, normally is, but now and then you get some jerk who knows nothing and thinks they are an expert. :mad:

What if the wind kicks up after you pull the trigger? Wouldn't you then be relying on the accuracy of the round? ;)
That's still precision. The way the bullet was machined is to a certain precision.

You judging the wind and making adjustments, is the accuracy part.

The myth lives on with you...

When I was a kid went into a LGS on Willamette St in Eugene WITH my dad.
Behind the gun counter was a AR15 I had read about(Vietnam going on 1966)
Asked if we could see it old guy behind the gun counter picks it up, opens the action and trips the bolt release, then tells my dad and me no!
"All this gun is good for is killing people, don't know why we have them in here to sell"

We left then I asked my dad if we could go across the street to the Surplus store, in there was a barrel of 1917 bolt action rifles(I think 1917s) stuck barrel down in a barrel Your Choice $19.95.

That's still precision. The way the bullet was machined is to a certain precision.

You judging the wind and making adjustments, is the accuracy part.

The myth lives on with you...
The wind happened after the shot was fired in my last post. The shooter has ZERO control over that, it's just the bullet and atmosphere.

Magazine-Clip.jpg

When I was a kid went into a LGS on Willamette St in Eugene WITH my dad.
Behind the gun counter was a AR15 I had read about(Vietnam going on 1966)
Asked if we could see it old guy behind the gun counter picks it up, opens the action and trips the bolt release, then tells my dad and me no!
"All this gun is good for is killing people, don't know why we have them in here to sell"

Was he name Elmer? Great white hunter of wascally wabbits.

Just heard a bunch this weekend at rendezvous...

Flintlocks won't work in the rain...

Muskets aren't accurate...

Round ball isn't effective on game...

You can't hit nothin' past 100 yards with those old black powder guns...

The round ball will just roll out the barrel...

Those old "Kentucky Rifles" won our Revolution...

Black powder substitutes are less corrosive than black power...

Andy

Will Hayden is in jail and his business partner had to close the business and start over under a new name.

Meaux Guns and Aklys Defense, based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
IIRC Hayden did not have an FFL when the show was filmed. His partner did, and there was a reason. :rolleyes: He always struck me as a wanna be. Just something about him that wasn't right.

Accuracy is how close the measured value is to the actual value. In shooting, how close you came to the point of aim.

Precision is the spread of successive measured values. In shooting, how big is your group.

The shooter, gun, ammo, sights and environment can impact both depending on how you set up your test. But you can't be accurate without being precise.

I happened to be practicing moving and shooting today.

I happen to load my gun, and NOT charge it, because I was by myself and walking a lot between my bench and my targets, so I thought I would charge it when I was ready to shoot.

Here's the thing. I ALWAYS carry chambered. So, at some point, I must have charged it out of reflex before approaching my position. Must have, because when I draw and racked the slide, Freedom Seed #1 harmlessly ejected out the port.

Made a mental note: You perform like you practice. This is not Jazz. Stick to the chart.

Narking myself off here keeps me humble and honest. Thx.

"a .38 snub is all a little lady needs and could handle"
Suppressors/Silencers are inaudible
"Stopping power"
1911/45AARP is better because...
Bought and sold a few .38 snubbys, never satisfied with the accuracy. It's just the nature of them. Past about 15 feet I couldn't hit squat reliably.A very difficult gun to get proficient with, at least for me.
best silencer is a sofa pillow. point blank.
the reason I like the 45acp so much is the psychological factor. The big noise, and the "I'm so screwed " look on some ones face when they stare down at that huge hole in the end of the barrel.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top