JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Again it boils down to availability and I would question how well .38acp would run in .38 Super 1911.

All of my life I have scoped out the ammo shelves at any store that has them. I don't ever remember seeing a box of 38ACP anywhere but in someone's collection! When I first started really getting involved with reloading I realized what I'd not been seeing. Even in the late 80's it was almost unknown. Heck, the Super has always been scarce, too.
My brother in law surprised me once with a partial box of 38 Super. He'd been shooting them in his 38 Special and didn't like the fireball or the way the extractor wouldn't always clear an empty. That's when I explained the difference between the 38s. Told him that's an interesting way to shoot 357's out of his 38!

The myth of the tactical reload as an essential skill for the semi-auto concealed carry folks. The point was driven home by the guy standing next to me at the outdoor range yesterday when he starting juggling his magazines as he attempted a tactical reload and had lost his grip on one of the mags. Had he been involved in a life or death situation, he would have found himself in a grave situation.

The tactical reload seems to be a solution looking for a problem. The speed reload, emergency reload, and retention reload are more KISS friendly and don't complicate the task like the tactical reload. KISS - Keep It Simple Shooter.

If your criteria for "this will get you kilt in da streetz" is that someone screws it up at the range, possibly before they've mastered it, then no technique is safe. If we're keeping it super simple or using Occams Razor - the man probably hadn't practiced enough.

OK - I'll bite. I am also too lazy to look it up while I should be working.

What is this "Tactical Reload"?
A 'tactical reload" is what is commonly referred to , when you exchange a magazine that has been partially shot , for new one...
Or when you fire a shotgun with a tube magazine , then reload after , say two shots...
I just call it reloading...but then I ain't "tactical" either...LOL
Andy

All of my life I have scoped out the ammo shelves at any store that has them. I don't ever remember seeing a box of 38ACP anywhere but in someone's collection! When I first started really getting involved with reloading I realized what I'd not been seeing. Even in the late 80's it was almost unknown. Heck, the Super has always been scarce, too.
My brother in law surprised me once with a partial box of 38 Super. He'd been shooting them in his 38 Special and didn't like the fireball or the way the extractor wouldn't always clear an empty. That's when I explained the difference between the 38s. Told him that's an interesting way to shoot 357's out of his 38!

It used to be somewhat uncommon to see 38 ACP before a few companies like SIG , Beretta, Taurus and a slew of recalibered Makarovs flooded the country. I see 38 ACP everywhere I buy ammo.

In further regards to the idea of a "tactical reload"...

While in various firefights ...I have done both...shot my magazine dry , then reloaded or shot the magazine partially , then reloaded a full one.
It my experience , it all depends on the situation , which is better to do...and best not to get ' hung up " with the idea the one method is always better than another....
Andy

Tactical reload: when your trigger finger seizure has overwhelmed your ability to count that high.
( Don't you just giggle when you hear about a police shooting where there were 48 rounds fired, 3 cats, one Volvo, and a barn were destroyed completely missing the bad guy AT POINT BLANK RANGE. California cops, go figure)

some exaggeration, but true

Last Edited:
Tactical reload is a reload technique used when rounds are still in the magazine and a round in the chamber, the shooter secures a spare magazine with the off-hand, brings it to the weapon, releases the magazine in the weapon into the off-hand where it is held while the replacement magazine is placed into the magazine well. The partially spent magazine is then secured for later use.

The SR, ER, and RR all rely on a simple task of removing one magazine and then taking another magazine in the off-hand and insert that magazine into the mag well of the firearm. Other than gun games or combat, I see no need for a potential juggling act during a critical situation.

Last Edited:
Another myth: Universal Background Checks. What's that? To see if I have a criminal record on Mars? I can still feel the 'probing' from my last purchase. Not sure how much 'deeper' their inquiry of my history they can go?

ostrich.jpg

Another myth: Universal Background Checks. What's that? To see if I have a criminal record on Mars? I can still feel the 'probing' from my last purchase. Not sure how much 'deeper' their inquiry of my history they can go?

View attachment 610447

UBC's exist only to provide full traceability of firearms .

Don't bother bringing up the fact that most mass shootings were carried out using guns that had been legally purchased with a UBC for the assailant..

Being a devils advocate here... In the end I think we could potentially be looking at full NFA style registration i.e. tax stamps, full registration etc for pistols, semi autos etc.. While that might be a PITA for what is now title 1 stuff it could have the opposite effect for real NFA stuff. Wait times could drop down to a week or less if the full infrastructure for a robust form 4 system is put in place.

UBC's exist only to provide full traceability of firearms .

Don't bother bringing up the fact that most mass shootings were carried out using guns that had been legally purchased with a UBC for the assailant..

Being a devils advocate here... In the end I think we could potentially be looking at full NFA style registration i.e. tax stamps, full registration etc for pistols, semi autos etc.. While that might be a PITA for what is now title 1 stuff it could have the opposite effect for real NFA stuff. Wait times could drop down to a week or less if the full infrastructure for a robust form 4 system is put in place.
Except it's the government... so it'll probably just take longer for everything.
15 month waits on you single shot .22lr...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top