Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Gun issue represents tough politics for Obama

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by civilian75, Nov 26, 2011.

1. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

This is hardly "news", but thought about sharing anyways. An abridged version of this aritcle was published on the Oregonian yesterday.

Gun issue represents tough politics for Obama | oregonlive.com

2. Bacchus

Bacchus The Republic Active Member

Until and unless he is reelected. Then it becomes tough politics for us.

mjbskwim, Grunwald, Abiqua and 3 others like this.
  3. CharonPDX

CharonPDX Portland, OR Active Member

Why do people insist that "he hasn't done anything anti-gun, therefore he must be anti-gun" is a valid argument? He has an *F* from the Brady Campaign. People for whom gun control is a positive thing can't stand him. If he wants their vote, he would need to do something BEFORE the election. He won't, because he knows it's an issue he CAN'T deal with.

Even if he wins, he won't do anything, because he knows it would destroy moderate support for Democratic congressmen.

SonicBlue03 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Sling Blade

Sling Blade Yamhill County Well-Known Member

I sincerely doubt it, as he'll have way more on his hands than he knows what to do with and gun control is a totally losing bet for him or anyone.

CharonPDX and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Both Eyes Open

Both Eyes Open Hood Canal Active Member

I can't say that I am impressed with the current GOP options but the fact that Obama has been as silent as he has on gun control issues really peeves me!!! It would be nice to know where our politicians stand on such important issues! (from their mouths)

6. pogi

pogi Gresham, OR Active Member

Gun control is quitely being worked behind the scenes. The Zero has already put two anti-2A judges on the Supreme Court and if he gets a second term, that number could go up. Fast & Furious/Gunwalker was an attempt to put lawful US gunowners on the hot seat. They all like the UN small arms treaty...

He sure as **** is going to make a run but it will most likely be in a second term.

7. Both Eyes Open

Both Eyes Open Hood Canal Active Member

So who from the GOP would you recoment????????

8. rufus

rufus State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

Of course he is silent. Why even bring it up when you have your Justice Department doing your dirty work for you? Duh!

9. swoop

swoop Milwaukie, Oregon Well-Known Member

If you want to know where obama stands on gun control, check out his voting record while he was in the senate.

Grunwald, Jamie6.5, xm193 and 3 others like this.
  10. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I see the press once again protecting their Wonder Boy from the ire of gun control advocates, excusing his current behavior, reassuring them things will change on his 2nd term, while he is preparing the stage for his GC agenda offensive.

11. Kevatc

Kevatc Oregon Well-Known Member

Agree with both.

Serious question: There is no need for more gun laws but I am wondering if enforcing existing law stringently would've prevented a Cho or Loughner? Would application of existing law or even new law have been able to prevent these types of individuals from perpetrating crimes like they did?

12. iusmc2002

iusmc2002 Colville, WA Active Member

No. So lets ban all guns? Is that your point? Since their weapons were purchased legally.....

13. SonicBlue03

SonicBlue03 Snohomish Well-Known Member

The Mayans being right about the world ending next year has a higher probability of occurring than the President taking away firearms.

Kevatc and (deleted member) like this.
  14. locobob

locobob Beaverton, Oregon Well-Known Member

Obama is a political realist, not an idealist, that should be painfully obvious by now. Honestly I don't think we have all that much to worry about unless some dramatic incident causes large scale public outcry - in which case he will likely feel compelled to at least pay lip service to gun control. I think Romney would likely do the same, I don't trust him one bit.

15. rufus

rufus State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

So it's okay with you if Obama does it, but not Romney? :huh:

16. locobob

No idea where you are coming from on this....apparently you are reading things that aren't there. I don't care for politicians with flexible principles period.

17. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Ron Paul

18. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

You mean like "Gun Walker"? That wasn't lip service it was a planned underhanded attack by the Obama administration on our gun rights by creating a problem that would require "fixing", the fix would have been to take more rights from gun owners.

Any gun owner that would vote for this clown a second time is not a critical thinker but a partisan dupe.

chris61182, Buddhalux, swoop and 7 others like this.
  19. locobob

#1 I didn't vote for him.
    #2 I think its a little premature to implicate Obama in the "gunwalker" fiasco or to proclaim it a part of some vast conspiracy. The BATF has been out of control for years, even under Republican administrations.
    #3 I do find Ron Paul to be one of, or perhaps even the most sincere of the candidates. I just think he goes a little too far with pushing individualism as the answer to everything, there are many things I think are most efficiently accomplished collectively.

soberups, Riot, CharonPDX and 7 others like this.
  20. Kevatc

Kevatc Oregon Well-Known Member

No, that wasn't my point. Are you being obtuse on purpose? How could I be a gun owner and want to ban them???? That absolutely makes no sense.

Yes, the guns that they bought were done legally. The point of my question was just as I asked it before: would enforcement of existing law or changes in law to help keep guns out of he hands of individuals who showed serious mental health issues? I don't know and that's why I asked the question. Aside from trying to address that issue I see no reason for any more gun laws/restrictions.