JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I looked at this NRA and Collect Insure had the best prices. I went with Collect Insure and have been happy with their level of service...but note that I've never had a claim (knock on wood). I've also heard good things about Eastern Insurance but have no direct experience with them.

Do note that your home owners policy likely covers a couple grand in firearms and your regular NRA membership (if you are one) includes a couple grand. So don't forget to factor that in when you're trying to figure out how much coverage you need.

Also accessories aren't a problem with Collect Insure but I don't know about ammo. You'll have to ask. But one of the strong points about Collect Insure is that they don't require serial numbers and such. At least under $5K. At $5K one of the two companies required a serial number but I can't remember if it was the NRA or Collect Insure as I am not fortunate enough to own a gun over $5K. I call that "life goals". :D

But you're going to want to make sure you have serial numbers and photos on hand anyway in case you ever do need to file a claim.

I'm with Collect Insure also and they do insure ammo. I told them I'd have to adjust my policy at least weekly if I went that route. All of the reviews I've read said that there is absolutely no problems making a claim but as mentioned be sure to have serial #s and photos available. I have 2 hard copies and 2 on flash drives.

Coincidentally I have an appointment with my home owners insurance on Thursday to go over options for a rydeto cover my silver and firearms. Do you think it would be beneficial to print some literature from the NRA insurance etc and negotiate?

It worth reminding folks that at least once a year you should sit down and go through all your insurance policies and adjust the coverage where needed...especially on a gun policy if you're like most of us where you've bought and/or sold a few guns during the year.

I tend to keep my home owners policy as a buffer. Once a year I'll sit down to up my coverage based on what I currently have. And I figure the $2K on my homeowner policy will cover any new purchases throughout the year.

Also, if you've never sat down and made a list of everything you own, it's astounding how much all the holsters, optics, cases, tools, belts, pouches, vests, and other various accessories, adds up.

Lastly, you really should have these and other important records digitized and stored either in the cloud somewhere or on a thumb drive that sits in a safety deposit box or at some other location. Things like wills, trusts, deeds, insurance papers, resumes, references, key contacts, important photos, lists of assets, receipts, etc.

Imagine if your house burned down and you lost everything and had to start over in another town. Could you easily get your hands on all of the information that you would need to do that? If the answer to that question is "no," you've got some work to do. :)

I have the NRA insurance plan and they do cover optics but I don't believe they cover ammunition. I wanted more insurance since the basic policy was not enough to cover all of my guns.

Does NRA membership cover CC legal fees and the like or is it just home storage?
I tried looking on the NRA website but couldn't find much detail about what being a member does other than getting news and magazines sent and a member card.

If being an NRA member means i'd have protection from courts and the like along with legal fees and some sort of CC insurance i'd be interested. Thanks for all the details for those who know or can help guide a new person to this decision.

Does NRA membership cover CC legal fees and the like or is it just home storage?
I tried looking on the NRA website but couldn't find much detail about what being a member does other than getting news and magazines sent and a member card.

If being an NRA member means i'd have protection from courts and the like along with legal fees and some sort of CC insurance i'd be interested. Thanks for all the details for those who know or can help guide a new person to this decision.

NRA offers separate policies. One is for insurance against theft, etc., and the NRA provides you approx $2K of this type of insurance with each membership...but you do have to activate that portion of your membership.

And then there is NRA Carry Guard Ins., which is essentially legal defense insurance. It covers legal expenses but not liability if your sued in, say, a civil court and either lose or settle. Note that my understanding of Carry Guard is that it is a reimbursement type policy. It will front a bit of money to get your legal defense going but I believe you will have to front the rest of it and then they will reimburse you IF you are found innocent. You really want to read the fine print carefully to understand exactly what you are and are not getting. There are other providers out there that have better policies IMO.

My brother In laws a state farm guy. He's been trying to sell me insurance on my firearms. At $5 a month it's a no brainer, until he said he needed serial numbers and no guns left without said info would be covered.

I'm not too keen on the idea, am I being paranoid?

Is this info typically needed for such insurance?

My brother In laws a state farm guy. He's been trying to sell me insurance on my firearms. At $5 a month it's a no brainer, until he said he needed serial numbers and no guns left without said info would be covered.

I'm not too keen on the idea, am I being paranoid?

Is this info typically needed for such insurance?
I got the same request from my state farm agent when I inquired about insuring my firearms, along with photos. Trouble is, some of mine are increasing in value, so I don't know if they'd be able to provide that kind of coverage.

HeyJoe - Tell them you have ser #s recorded, and you can provide if/when there is a claim.

Until then they're private.

If he won't deal - someone else can provide you with a policy. No offense intended to your b.i.l.

Nate

HeyJoe - Tell them you have ser #s recorded, and you can provide if/when there is a claim.

Until then they're private.

If he won't deal - someone else can provide you with a policy. No offense intended to your b.i.l.

Nate
I went for it but only included funs that were acquired through a dealer.

For five bucks a month, if it helps the clan, I'm okay with it.

Worst case scenario I'll pull the plug on the plan after one year. Meantime I'll investigate plans that allow some semblance of privacy.

I do, in fact keep thorough records of all firearms bought and sold- a must for us living in the few "free" states left in the union.

Thanks for the response, friend!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads