JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I usually use the 'when seconds count, the police are only minutes away' line. Also, ask why many people have fire-extinguishers in their house if all they have to do is call 911 when a fire starts? If that doesn't resonate, there's always the wisdom of the Clash, in Guns of Brixton (a song about a historical SHTF situation): "When they kick out your front door
How you gonna come? With your hands on your head Or on the trigger of your gun?"

Here's what I don't understand from people who are SO anti-gun it's almost a phobia.. (not the ones who've had traumatic experiences in their youth etc though, but the ones that are just so brainwashed that all guns are evil etc..)

e.g. On the much discussed prepper show on NatGeo there was this family back in 'ultra-conservative' new england... (that alone made me laugh.. to me back east is super liberal.. so they must be extreme-hippies or something).. they were all anti-gun this, anti-gun that etc etc.. 'gun' was like a dirty word to them and you could just see the disgust in their eye for even mentioning it...

Then later on their hippie son is asked what he would do to defend themselves if people with bad intentions show up etc.. his answer: "Gain their trust, see if they're useful and if not slit their throats when they sleep..." yeah..... oooookay so it's not even the 'killing' part that they're afraid of or can't stand that.. no, they're FINE with that.. but the inanimate piece of metal is EVIL (though another piece of metal like a knife is apparently A-OK to murder people with)... Seriously, What the *beep*!?! I can't even begin to understand how people like this think or function...

You simply cannot use logic with a person that is emotionally wrapped around a subject. Have you ever heard of anyone that got into a charged discussion who changed their mind about religon, abortion or politics as a result of the discussion?

Here's what I don't understand from people who are SO anti-gun it's almost a phobia.. (not the ones who've had traumatic experiences in their youth etc though, but the ones that are just so brainwashed that all guns are evil etc..)

e.g. On the much discussed prepper show on NatGeo there was this family back in 'ultra-conservative' new england... (that alone made me laugh.. to me back east is super liberal.. so they must be extreme-hippies or something).. they were all anti-gun this, anti-gun that etc etc.. 'gun' was like a dirty word to them and you could just see the disgust in their eye for even mentioning it...

Then later on their hippie son is asked what he would do to defend themselves if people with bad intentions show up etc.. his answer: "Gain their trust, see if they're useful and if not slit their throats when they sleep..." yeah..... oooookay so it's not even the 'killing' part that they're afraid of or can't stand that.. no, they're FINE with that.. but the inanimate piece of metal is EVIL (though another piece of metal like a knife is apparently A-OK to murder people with)... Seriously, What the *beep*!?! I can't even begin to understand how people like this think or function...

I have tried to use logical rational thinking with kinds of people when they were in a thinking mode, and their brain seems to just shut off, like you would expect out of someone who has been drugged. I have given up on trying to use logic with those people, I just ignore them and if they ask me for my help on something, I just say sorry I do not believe in that so I cannot assist you in it. Must of those kinds of people know not to bother me, I have told them in a nice way, you are not going to help me when I need, so do not bother asking me when you need it.

Look at the worst anti gun cities and states. New York, Chicago, Detroit, California, (anywhere). They didn't get the way they are because of intelligent people in their government.

The PPL in power were more inteligent than the PPL that put them there, they just happened to be crypto-communists sworn to destroy america as well as nefarious sociopaths

I learned me a new word, I feels smart now. Just kidding, I never heard that word before, but it explains them.

Well here is how I see it, you married her daughter not her, if she does like the way you live thats her problem, she either figure a way to deal with it or go away.

Yeah I am for real, that is the way it is here, this is our home and we decide how things are done and my other 1/2 supports me on this 100%, family don't like they do not have visit, When I go to some people homes out of respect to them I lock pistol in a lock box in my truck. Others told me not to worry about it. I have certain people they may carry in my home, others I just do not invite here, I am not a social lite and do not want others in my home checking out what I have.

Found a cool pic yesterday on Facebook:

gunowners.jpg

My father told me something when I was young that sticks with me today... An armed society is a polite society. How many criminals would break into someones house if they KNEW the people inside owned and would use their guns? Not a whole lot I would think.

My step mother hates guns and she stated once (again) while we were talking about a family trip that she would not use a gun for protection (she had spent 2 terms in the army in the 70s so she knows how to use a gun, she just doesn't like them) and my father said that it doesnt matter if she doesnt like guns, he will do everything in his power to protect his family and he expects her to do the same if push comes to shove.

Guns are a little like a religion in the fact that you don't have to agree with me, but I'll be damed if you try to take away my rights.

I am not a social lite and do not want others in my home checking out what I have.

I am much the same way. Most all of the people that I've known who I would consider to be "highly social", are the ones who have experienced having their homes burglarized at one time or another. People talk too much. The less they know about you, the less they can say to others.

why the hell do the rest of us law abiding citizens suffer? Why are the law abiding citizens always the losers?

A lot of people who are afraid, can't, or don't want to do something...... want others to to feel the same way.

I don't think there is anything you can do to change their mind. Except lead by example.

Roxy, ask your mother if she would use a firearm to protect her child.

Oh I guarantee she would do what she had to do to protect her children.

There's a huge diffrence between what people want to do and what people are willing to do. I hope that the only thing I (or my husband) ever shoot at is a target, but that might not be my choice to make. We will protect our family, and we do have the choice and the right to do so.

Okay, I'm done with the dramatics ;)

I tell my friends and family who dont like guns this, would you rather be in a room where only the criminal has a gun or in a room where everyone has a gun? Guns are like a fire extinguisher, whether or not you ever use a gun in the house, at least you have it.

So...here's the deal. My mother-in-law is terrified of guns.

That should tell you something right there, on how to proceed. She is terrified. So how does one help her to remove that fear. BTW rational arguments do not work. Terrified is beyond rationality. Maybe is it best that she does not own one. There are people who should not own guns.

It takes time to deal with the fear. She would have to be comfortable in all the situation. She may always be terrified and well, that is that. I would leave well enough alone. My mother in-law is terrified of guns too. She is not anti gun. Took me about 20 years to get her to that point.

Take your time, don't push your point and let her make up her own mind. The anti-gun people have done a really good job at scaring the heck out of people. It is the fear that needs to be dealt with and it is a hard nut to crack.

I know what I am about to say might have some controversial background, but thats not what I am focusing on. Has anyone Seen J. Edgar? Remember the scene where Edgar goes on his first raid and since the bureau of investigation agents couldn't carry firearms he provided firearms for his agents so the could better defend themselves. Now Imagine, what would have happened if he hadn't issued out firearms as gifts to his men? They could have been killed or caused a police officer to loose their life because they would be unarmed and in the way if a firefight broke out. It may not change a liberals (ugh) mind but it's a good point.

And here's a little tid bit from my experience. I have a liberal cousin and we get into it sometimes both presenting great facts but unchanged in our beliefs. And I am sad to say that this Cousin of mine also participated in Occupy Portland (What a bunch of dumb S#!ts) this also seemed to set her beliefs in stone a little more. But as many have said "You may lead your Jack A$$ to water but you CAN'T make them drink it, even if you put a loaded .45 to their head. You will never get your desired result. You must let them find their way and if they die in the process, it was just plain and simple natural selection. They were not fit enough to survive their fate." I realize that this might seem slightly cold hearted but if you showed them the water and they would not drink it, it is no longer your problem, because you have done all that you can, it is now their problem to deal and live with.

"You may lead your Jack A$$ to water but you CAN'T make them drink it, even if you put a loaded .45 to their head. You will never get your desired result. You must let them find their way and if they die in the process, it was just plain and simple natural selection. The were not fit enough to survive their fate."

Well said.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top