JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So...here's the deal. My mother-in-law is terrified of guns. After a couple of drinks a couple of weeks back, I get into it with her. I just couldn't hold back. She says she understands the second amendment, but people shouldn't be trusted with guns. WTF?! I had an epiphany...the people that hate guns the most have no clue why we carry. For example, she says, "well yes ARs should be illegal in California because otherwise criminals would get them easily..." She has nothing to say about the fact that the only people with ARs in CA are gangbangers and law enforcement. It was a conversation that blew my mind. How the hell are we supposed to approach these people? Educate these people? Granted, idiots make us look bad, but why the hell do the rest of us law abiding citizens suffer? I have no felonies and I follow the letter of the law for fear of the consequences if I don't. But, criminals don't. Why can't I have a 10.5in barrel on my AR to protect my house? Why can't I use an AOW on a criminal that kicks in my front door without the possibility of jailtime? Why are the law abiding citizens always the losers?

There are degrees of ignorance. Like i know many people in California with AR and they are neither gang related or LEO. Sometimes it isn't worth and tour not going to convince them, so pick you battles.:D

Sometimes you have to put it into terms they understand or can relate to. For example, I have a friend of a friend that is ravenously against any type of weapons ownership but is a hardcore blogger. I merely turned it into a first amendment issue. I asked her how she would like it if the government said she had to have a permit to own a computer, and you needed government permission to post online. Or you could only own so many types of mobile devices (Ipad, Iphone, Droid, etc.) She thought that was ludacris, but my point was made. Did I changer her mind? No. But at least I got her thinking.

Well the rise in crime lately will start changing peoples minds. i honestly believe for most people to change their ways it takes something dramatic like bein robbed or something like that. people carry mace, and what not but their is a range on those. plus ive seen people who have been stabbed maced tazed and what not and still able to fight. eventually people will realize that its the best way to protect your family. i personally feel its bs that we cant shoot someone in the back if they are in are home. if they break in then they see you with a firearm, and run they know if they come back to bring a weapon. i think it would be better to have the uperhand on the situation and shoot them so they dont have the second chance to come back with a weapon. anyhow now im just rambling

She might be a hater but that's the beauty of the 2nd Amendment. Your right to legally own and possess a firearm also grants her the right to not be a fan of them. I have this "conversation" with my liberal minded friends all the time and the truth is you'll never be able to convince them otherwise. I don't bother trying to explain the difference between myself and a pistol packing drug addled criminals when it comes to gun control anymore.

Throw this at her, not literally but in a manner of speaking http://utahshootingsports.com/lottrebuttal.pdf

""Analyzing county level data for the entire United States from 1977 to 2000, we find annual
reductions in murder rates between 1.5 and 2.3 percent for each additional year that a right-tocarry
law is in effect. For the first five years that such a law is in effect, the total benefit from
reduced crimes usually ranges between about $2 billion and $3 billion per year.""

As said above in a similar statement, tell when someone trys to do her harm to not call 911, because those people in blue uniforms carry those disgusting guns and support for one is support for all.

I got into a similar discussion with a person at work I use the above analogy, she still does not agree with me, but what can I say when shtf she will be sitting in her apartment all alone thinking about our conversation and wishing she would have used logic in her thought process.

I know it is your mother in-law so I willput it nicely, you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink

I have had this conversation many times as well and I always end it with telling them, "You can believe what you want to, but when some scumbag kicks in my door, I want to have something more to defend myself with than a phone to call the police."

Old but still relevant as ever:

If you have no capacity for violence then you are a healthy productive citizen: a sheep. If you have a capacity for violence and no empathy for your fellow citizens, then you have defined an aggressive sociopath--a wolf. But what if you have a capacity for violence, and a deep love for your fellow citizens? Then you are a sheepdog, a warrior, someone who is walking the hero’s path. Someone who can walk into the heart of darkness, into the universal human phobia, and walk out unscathed.

<broken link removed>

I have said if you make firearms illegal to own then only criminals will own them.Criminals will do the same crimes we just won't have a way to defend ourselves from their guns, and good people with firearms will be outlaws for keeping them.

Once all the legally owned guns are gone then the saturday night special from (insert foreign country) will be a high value criminal enterprise just like illegal drugs.

Look at automatic firearms we can't buy them legally but some how criminals still have and use them in crime.

Post a sign in your mother-in-laws front yard

I do not belive in owning firearms. If you break into my house I have ask gun owning neighbors NOT to interfere.

I agree with you. In fact, I think if someone breaks into her house she shouldn't be allowed to have the police come (at least with firearms) for the purpose of saving her. The police should defer that responsibility to the fire dept. Aren't women told to yell "Fire" in case of rape anyhow?

Seems to work well with watering flower hippies and other variants.
Man drops pants in protest as police water-cannon Belgium crowds - YouTube

Just remind her there are over 300 million firearms in private hands, and that's just what the FBI knows about..

So.. the question is, how come there isn't anarchy in the streets? Despite all these 'dangerous' guns.. life in America is safe, orderly, and enjoyable. Not so much in the Third World!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top