JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
<broken link removed> by Danny Westneat in Seattle Times - thoughts? Any common ground here? (not that he likely represents true goals of typical Seattle Pols, but who knows)

Gun guy packs heat in message

Danny Westneat
Seattle Times staff columnist

I'm not sure what people in Rainier Valley were expecting to hear from the Seattle mayor's gun adviser, Mark Pursley. But it probably wasn't this:

That he, Pursley, owns two guns, a Glock 9-millimeter and a pump-action shotgun.

That he's a member of the National Rifle Association.

And that he believes there's no way to stop Americans from continuing to buy guns so powerful and destructive, they could potentially bring down a jet from a mile and a half away.

"I'm not here to take away people's guns," Pursley, 48, told the Rainier Valley Rotary Club on Tuesday, in a talk on "Reducing Gun Violence in Rainier Valley." "The Second Amendment means what it says — we have the right as Americans to bear arms."

This is former Mayor Greg Nickels' gun guy? The one Nickels hired so Seattle could be a leader on gun issues at a time the federal and state governments seem paralyzed?

Yes, it is. And as Pursley goes around the state he finds himself criticized or prejudged almost everywhere he goes.

Some in the Rainier Valley audience came at him from the left.

"How could he be in charge of Seattle's gun-prevention programs?" wondered Peter Masundire, a Democratic activist in South Seattle. "He basically gives an NRA presentation."

Others come from the right. When he visits Eastern Washington, Pursley says the initial reaction is: "You're here to push your liberal Seattle agenda on us, aren't you?"

Dave Workman, editor of Gun Week magazine in Bellevue, even ridicules Pursley's title, which is "Gun Violence Prevention Coordinator" for Seattle's Office of Intergovernmental Relations.

"There is no such thing as 'gun violence,' " Workman wrote about Pursley's efforts. "There is just violence. The term 'gun violence' is an inflammatory invention of the anti-gun lobby and its media cheerleaders who merely want to demonize guns and associate them with 'violence.' "

Pursley says somewhere in this heat is what he's after. The center.

"How about we put aside all the Second Amendment arguments and set this goal — that criminals, the mentally ill and kids should have no access to guns," he says. "That's the debate we should be having."

Pursley isn't a lifelong gun advocate. He bought his first one in the 1990s, when he was director of the Boys & Girls Club in White Center. There were so many shootings he worried about his safety, until a local deputy advised him to buy a shotgun.

"I don't hunt," he says. "The only reason I own firearms is for personal protection."

Pursley says he's in the NRA because "they believe in the same fundamental right I believe in."

He thinks most gun-control measures won't do much good — including, surprisingly, the one pushed by his former boss, Nickels, and endorsed by his new boss, Mayor Mike McGinn. The one banning guns from city parks.

On the other hand, he says it's frustrating there's no way even to compile much data about guns. That's because the gun lobby has pushed to bar government from having databases about the sale or location of guns.

Pursley also tells about a police chief who moved here recently from out of state who said he was "astonished" at this state's lax gun laws.

"You can carry a shotgun over your shoulder down the streets of Seattle, no permit needed," Pursley said. "I'm not arguing that the rules are perfect as they are."

This guy is well to the right of me. As I've said in the past, I think there's a right to own guns but they should be regulated at least as rigorously as cars, with mandatory training, licenses and registration.

But when Pursley talks about what he thinks we should do — get far tougher on any gun-related crime, such as juveniles caught with a handgun, and much more aggressive about tracking guns, collecting information on them and confiscating them from people with violent tendencies or mental instability — I say: Why not? Can't we at least start with that?

"I don't know, I dislike politics intensely," Pursley says. Adding that he doesn't speak for Seattle — that's the job of the mayor and City Council.

He thinks that when he was hired nobody knew he was an NRA member. Now that we know, this guy probably won't last long down at City Hall.

But I like that he isn't liked by either side. Guns have long been the deadest of dead-end debates. The extremes have it in a stranglehold.

Maybe his course — up the middle — would actually lead somewhere.

Sounds like a lefty trying to portray another lefty as middle ground. Not even a centrist would want to give up privacy for a false sense of security by having a registration database. It doesn't fool me.

Both seem to think we need more laws though the specifics mentioned are already covered by law; mentally ill & violent criminals cannot own guns. Of course what they really want isn't that those convicted or committed can't own guns. They want their inside bureaucrats to get to decide who is or isn't violent or mentally ill.

Juveniles should not be denied access to firearms. Irresponsible juveniles should not be allowed irresponsible access to firearms. There are already plenty of laws on the books that disallow criminal behavior with firearms and negligently allowing someone access. There is a difference and if you let the anti-gun movement have their way it will be illegal to take a minor shooting.

Firearm safety training should be mandatory by at least middle school. Children should not be taught that guns are bad but that the irresponsible or criminal handling of them is.

Just pre-posturing, likely for an upcoming campaign for office. The guy talks out both sides of his mouth.

This sounds about right. We are going to see a LOT of left wing folks trying to make other left wing folks seem not so left wing for the upcoming house cleaning parties... err... elections. The steady blue states like Washington and Oregon probably don't really need to do this but they will.

He thinks most gun-control measures won't do much good &#8212; including, surprisingly, the one pushed by his former boss, Nickels, and endorsed by his new boss, Mayor Mike McGinn. The one banning guns from city parks.

The new Mayor of Seattle endorses the illegal ban on legal guns?

Does McDonald's know he calls himself Mayor McGinn? ;)

And that he believes there's no way to stop Americans from continuing to buy guns so powerful and destructive, they could potentially bring down a jet from a mile and a half away.

My guns must all be broken, cause they can't do anything remotely like this.

But when Pursley talks about what he thinks we should do — get far tougher on any gun-related crime, such as juveniles caught with a handgun,

"and much more aggressive about tracking guns"

, collecting information on them and confiscating them from people with violent tendencies or mental instability — I say: Why not? Can't we at least start with that?

That statement in quotes is the dead give away. All they need is a foot in the door like any other progam and then it all goes down hill from there.

I don't know why all these guys seem to think that legislation and rules are going to curb violence in America. On one hand they are willing to teach children how to put on a condom to curb pregnancy or disease, yet in the other they are not willing to teach safe gun handling in schools to curb shooting accidents.

I say bringing back shooting and hunting education in schools will do more to curb accidental shootings, which are the only gun-related violent acts that we will ever be able to control with any process, as long as the criminal mind exists.

kinda off topic .. but only thing thats gonna stop violence is some moral fiber this country does not have ... with that then they might understand shootin people is BAD. Not that i think everyone one get it theres bad in every culture .. but enough rambling... Don

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top