Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Gun gifts

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by SG85, Dec 2, 2012.

1. SG85

SG85 503 Member

If I give a gun as a gift to a family member in WA state and I bought it and live in OR is there anything I need to do? Paperwork?

2. kenboy

kenboy salem, oregon GOD BLESS AMERICA Bronze Supporter

adoption papers filled out and headed your way......

3. Boomerang

Boomerang Portland area Active Member

I don't see how a gift is any different than a FTF private party sale.

4. PuddleMonkey

PuddleMonkey Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I'm accepting guns as gifts this year.

5. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Which makes it illegal as FTF private party sales across state lines are illegal.

6. Boomerang

Boomerang Portland area Active Member

That would be my understanding, unless something has changed that I'm not aware of.

7. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

2. May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State?
    Under Federal law, an unlicensed individual is prohibited from transferring a firearm to an individual who does not reside in the State where the transferee resides. Generally, for a person to lawfully transfer a firearm to an unlicensed person who resides out of State, the firearm must be shipped to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) within the recipient’s State of residence. He or she may then receive the firearm from the FFL upon completion of an ATF Form 4473 and a NICS background check. More information can be obtained on the ATF website at ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons. The GCA provides an exception from this prohibition for temporary loans or rentals of firearms for lawful sporting purposes. Thus, for example, a friend visiting you may borrow a firearm from you to go hunting. Another exception is provided for transfers of firearms to nonresidents to carry out a lawful bequest or acquisition by intestate succession. This exception would authorize the transfer of a firearm to a nonresident who inherits a firearm under the will of a decedent. See 18 U.S.C. 922(a)(5).

8. SG85

SG85 503 Member

Thanks for the quick feedback, annoying as it may be. Could the recipient go and do the ffl stuff themselves or do I need to be present to sign off too?

9. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Just have them set up with an FFL that recieves from private parties. You can ship a long gun yourself to that dealer and then they would do the paperwork like normal for their state.

10. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

If you sent, or personally delivered the firearm to a FFL, the recipient could go pick it up on their own. You could prepay the FFL fee and tax if you were feeling generous.

11. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

You can personally present the firearm to the FFL in WA, or you can mail to them if it is a rifle. OR, if the recipient is visiting you in OR, and the firearm is a rifle or shotgun, you can take it to an FFL in OR and transfer it.

If the firearm is a pistol the transfer must be in the recipient's state of residence. You can present it to the WA FFL yourself, or you can use a common carrier to ship it to the FFL.

Be aware...some FFL have personal policies that they will not accept a firearm from a private individual that does not reside in their state. This is a private policy of some FFLs, not a law or regulation, so be sure, if you ship the firearm, that the receiving FFL will accept from a private party.

It is perfectly legal to give a firearm as a gift.

ShootFirst and (deleted member) like this.
  12. SG85

SG85 503 Member

Thanks for the help guys. Seems like a bit of hassle but it is what it is.