JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Your friend has good taste. Although NWFA has welcomed many new members from outside the NW, if you want top dollar, you will need to expand your offering to a much bigger audience. No offense to my brothers here. There is a small but strong following for these pre-Mark V Weatherbys but you need to get national exposure and target Weatherby forums etc.
And you will have to do some involved work with quality pictures, details and be prepared to ship. You might consider a FFL appraiser and seller such as Jack the Dog. He will collect his fees but he will do all the work. FFL legal transfers etc.
If you just want to move them locally then expect a small response and lot less $$.
I grew up with Weatherby's...Mr Weatherby was about 60 years ahead of todays' long range fixation.
GLWS

I agree. It seems that beautiful custom woodwork like this isn't appreciated near as much now as it once was, but there's still decent demand for it if you expose it to a wider market. I don't know anything about Jack the Dog, but I have a feeling that for fine pieces like these a good middleman would likely earn his money. Those stocks are literally works of art. :)

Now, for that little S&W model 31, I'm pretty sure you (the OP) could sell it quickly and easily to someone who would pay a good price and give it a good home, so long as you were willing to cross the border to do the transfer at the Oregon FFL of your choice... :)

I would take them to a reputable, knowledgeable FFL and have them list them on Gunbroker. They would get their cut but these would reach an audience thousands of times larger than here. Plus the dealer could deal with all the transactions, shipping, etc. As mentioned above they are a little dated and niche at this point but having bidders and collectors in all 47 states determine the value would probably be the best move.

As a kid I always wanted a 340 Wby Mag, but I'm all grown up now, and I doubt I would bring myself to give what that beaut is worth. Still, nice to see.
I dunno... Weatherby is still selling the 150gn version of it, is showing a standard three week lead time, and at only $6.50/round it seems a bit of a bargain.

To the OP; I don't collect those shotguns and don't pretend to know anything about them (just in case you were waiting).:(;)

I'll venture a guess off the top of my head that the FN marked A5 is pre-war 1930s vintage, and the Browning marked A5 is post-war 1940s. The Matt Eastman book states that FN produced 2.7 million Auto-5s, with production ending in 1975 when Miroku in Japan began building them for Browning. So they're certainly not rare. I remember a time when you couldn't walk into ANY pawn shop and not see five of them. Add in the fact: 1. most people don't understand or want to mess with the arcane and mysterious friction ring setup 2. No ventilated rib 3. fixed choke (usually FULL) 4. barrels not compatible with steel shot... the list goes on. Cool shotguns, without question. But definitely a tough sell. And the few people that actually want one are usually looking for a late production Japanese gun with invector choke tubes and vented rib. And even THOSE don't bring what they used to ten years ago anymore, unless it's a 20 gauge.
Anyway, really cool old shotguns built to a very high standard, but as was stated earlier, basically only appeal to eccentric old guys!

Who is a local to NW Oregon dealer that will run a firearm through Gunbroker? Jack the Dog uses Gun auction and it seems there isn't as much activity as Gunbroker. Shipping and receiving money is a pain for a non FFL holder.

Who is a local to NW Oregon dealer that will run a firearm through Gunbroker? Jack the Dog uses Gun auction and it seems there isn't as much activity as Gunbroker. Shipping and receiving money is a pain for a non FFL holder.
@LuckySG maybe Jeremy can help you out.
There is also MartinArms in Vernonia, good guys, call and ask.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top