JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A-5s 12g 2-3/4 , and a full 12, the older looking one has the serial 257635

20210224_105153.jpg 20210224_105202.jpg 20210224_105215.jpg 20210224_105222.jpg 20210224_105232.jpg 20210224_105317.jpg 20210224_105333.jpg 20210224_105322.jpg 20210224_105354.jpg 20210224_105413.jpg

Last Edited:
is that the one with the newer stock?
Pretty cool S&W Model 31. Not sure what the extra barrel is about. ???
I am not sure if the extra barrel goes with the model 31 ... the other revolver is a long barrel 38 spl and the extra barrel is also a 38spl so might go with that one. It does look bulged at the end not sure if that's normal or not .

I am not sure if the extra barrel goes with the model 31 ... the other revolver is a long barrel 38 spl and the extra barrel is also a 38spl so might go with that one. It does look bulged at the end not sure if that's normal or not .

I would bet it goes with the other .38 spl revolver. Won't do any good with the Model 31.

Ha! I looked again at the pic. You can see the bulge. It's basically scrap metal with that bulge.

-E-

I would bet it goes with the other .38 spl revolver. Won't do any good with the Model 31.

Ha! I looked again at the pic. You can see the bulge. It's basically scrap metal with that bulge.

-E-
I was thinking that too, but I haven't looked at the bore to see if it was damaged or something else.

Your .340:
The L61R is a Sako action that was pretty widely sold from the end of the 60s through the 80s. I don't know what year, but they quit selling them as bare actions and only as a complete rifle in their Finnbear series. As complete rifles from Sako they retail between $750 and $1K. The Murray's Gun Shop is also a clue for the age; they opened in '71 as a full service shop, but changed to mostly stock-work by the early 80s (they are still in business, and it wouldn't hurt to reach out and see if they have a record of the SN#; 541-340-9814). I pulled some comps from gunbroker and Barnett's, and I think the not very popular .340wby hurts the value. Unless it is a Fisher or an Askins build, I would hold it to that $800 range.

Just my opinion, and no, I'm not trying to buy it.

Hope it helps

Those appear to be some high quality custom hunting rifles with some nice wood and high end actions. In todays market you are looking at $2k give or take just for material, not including labor. The sad news is you would be lucky to get that for one of them and it would take a long time to get that. My suggestion would be to start high and welcome offers. They are custom one offs so you won't be finding comparables in the market, and having the original owners name engraved on it won't help either.

Your .340:
The L61R is a Sako action that was pretty widely sold from the end of the 60s through the 80s. I don't know what year, but they quit selling them as bare actions and only as a complete rifle in their Finnbear series. As complete rifles from Sako they retail between $750 and $1K. The Murray's Gun Shop is also a clue for the age; they opened in '71 as a full service shop, but changed to mostly stock-work by the early 80s (they are still in business, and it wouldn't hurt to reach out and see if they have a record of the SN#; 541-340-9814). I pulled some comps from gunbroker and Barnett's, and I think the not very popular .340wby hurts the value. Unless it is a Fisher or an Askins build, I would hold it to that $800 range.

Just my opinion, and no, I'm not trying to buy it.

Hope it helps
Thank you! I appreciate the info.

Your 7mmMag:
As I'm sure you know, the action is a post-war Mauser commercial action, probably FN with the Belgian stamps, but you'd have to look below the woodline to be sure. Springfield sporters used to sell very reasonable (and good quality) 7mmRM barrels specifically in that 27" range (most companies were selling them in 24"), and they were customized by a number of shops (I built one myself, a field piece, not fancy like yours, but if you want to reach out and touch someone...). Purely a guess, of course, I don't know them personally, but it certainly looks like early work of the current owner of Murray's, Randy Murray. I'll bet he'd recognize it (whether it was his or his father's). He publishes email as [email protected]. Same bits of comparison as before (so not exactly exhaustive, just trying to help if reasonable), I see nicely done ones in 7mmRM going around $900-1100, and that's where I'd put yours. Especially if it is some of Randy's early work, and if it were me, I'd reach out. Maybe he'd pay a premium to have it back forty years later? Of course, if it was a John Warren and had just a little more engraving, I'd be calling Hallowell's.

Hope it helps,

Last Edited:
And your M70:
The serial number dates it to March or April of 1972, so no pre-64 cache, but solid rifles nonetheless. The main change from '64 to '71 was in the extractor design and it didn't work as well as the earlier one with many cartridges, but the larger banded cartridges (like 7mmRM) were a perfect match for the new design. In '72, and yours may be one of the first built, they changed the stock design to the one you have and quit building (until recently) the lower grade wood, so yours is a 'Standard Grade' at the time of purchase, but under the current management is being sold as 'Safari Grade', and if you decide to list it I would point that out to prospective buyers as the current Safari Grade is significantly more expensive than the current Standard Grade. The machine turning on the bolt was original--I talk to a lot of people that wonder if it was 'custom'. There were two versions of the knurling on the bolt handle and I can't see enough of yours to tell which it is. The most common has a single line that circles the handle, but some came out with the entire lower hemisphere knurled. I have no clue what the difference was at the factory, but the 'half ball' knurling is somewhat rare and seems to add a few $$ to selling prices. Another little oddball to look for is the material for the trigger guard. Most Standard Grade M70s of the time were aluminum, and steel ones were only for guns that were going to be engraved in that area, but every now and again, I see one with a smooth steel trigger guard. I don't know that it affects the value, but a fun bit to check out so you are knowledgeable as a seller. Again only my opinion, but I'd put a price on it between $675 and $850.

Best of luck to you

Your friend has good taste. Although NWFA has welcomed many new members from outside the NW, if you want top dollar, you will need to expand your offering to a much bigger audience. No offense to my brothers here. There is a small but strong following for these pre-Mark V Weatherbys but you need to get national exposure and target Weatherby forums etc.
And you will have to do some involved work with quality pictures, details and be prepared to ship. You might consider a FFL appraiser and seller such as Jack the Dog. He will collect his fees but he will do all the work. FFL legal transfers etc.
If you just want to move them locally then expect a small response and lot less $$.
I grew up with Weatherby's...Mr Weatherby was about 60 years ahead of todays' long range fixation.
GLWS

Hi all I have been asked to sell some guns from an estate (family friend) They are mostly hunting riffles and a couple Browning A-5 auto shotguns. The riffles 3-7mm and one 340weatherby mag, all but one 7mm is a custom build by Murrays Gun shop in Gresham. They have Belgium actions and Redfield scopes. I also have a 32 and 38spl revolver. Can anyone give me estimates so I can post these to the classifieds. Thanks all !

View attachment 832234 View attachment 832236

Murray really loved maple.
Any of you guys ever shoot in the tunnel under his shop?
Best,
Gary

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top