JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got my CWP in the mail on Friday. Went out Saturday to buy a gun. About 4 others were there buying a gun so i had to wait my turn. When it was my turn i did paperwork and all then he did the check and it was delayed. How long does this take. Kinda frustrated:mad: that i have a CWP and still have to go threw a wait again, Doesn't make sence to me why a second background check is needed. I'm new so don't be to hard on me. :rolleyes:

Frustration: That feeling you get when you realize you have gun privileges, not rights.

I wish you didn't need your CWP.

I wish you didn't need a background check.

I wish we both had gun rights vs. privileges.

Welcome to the site.

:)

From your avatar I'd say you were subjected to the double secret beard background check.

After ~12 background checks, 14 finger printings, sheriff background check for CWP, another extra special background check for C&R FFL (and knowing that both the ATF and the county sheriff know I collect C&R guns so Im sure any visit to my house from them will be with a SWAT no knock surpise), you would think I could go at least a few guns without a background check but no....

CHP (In Oregon it's a Concealed Handgun Permit) is issued on a County level in the State you live in. NICS is "Federal" and doesn't give a hoot about your local level background checks.
I'm squeaky clean and yet got a delay several years ago. I'll never know why I was delayed. That isn't info that will ever be released.

All of this is a pain in the A$$.

Which state are you in? A "CWP" doesn't exist in either Oregon (CHL) or Washington (CPL) so it's hard to tell; both states use different background check systems as far as the dealer interface goes.

If you are in Oregon you need to call the challenge line at 503-373-1808. You'll have to leave a message and they'll call you back, oftentimes it's some bit of paperwork they might need that you can provide for them.

From your avatar I'd say you were subjected to the double secret beard background check.

I'm about 90% sure that Bolus is joking here, but I feel I should mention that there is no secret way for a dealer to cause a delay during a background check, other than maybe intentionally entering info wrong. Delays are a huge, giant pain in the bubblegum for dealers; I don't know any that would intentionally cause a delay.

I was told that sometimes the delay is caused by a slight difference in information such as your address, spelling of your name, etc. you would think that once you have your CHL it would be a no brainer! Thank God we have our government overseers to keep us on the level, what would we do without them?????:mad:

I've been lucky enough to have never been delayed on any firearm purchase usually it's a quick phone call and I'm out the door. From what I know of background checks they may either be back logged, usually not, or if you have any red flags, ie, moved a lot, moved state to state, or you share close info with someone that's been naughty.
Either way if you get denied or it takes longer than 24 hours I'd be calling the challenge line (never heard of that)
Maybe someone stole your identity and is doing dirty business with your info. Who knows.
I wouldn't get mad about the delay, but more so why it's delayed and what you need to do to fix it. So you can buy more!

Modeler, lots of folks in WA mispronounce CPL as "CWP" so he's probably a Washingtonian.

Cory, word is that there are several ways that you can get delayed. Someone with a name similar or identical to yours could live nearby and have a record. Less common scenarios seem to be identity theft or screwed up records. Once in a great while the system gets slowed way down and checks get backed up. I think it's even gone offline at least once. The only time I've ever had a delay was also the only time that I skipped the SSN field in the 4473. The delay was probably less than a minute while they dug a little deeper into their database.

CHP (In Oregon it's a Concealed Handgun Permit) is issued on a County level in the State you live in. NICS is "Federal" and doesn't give a hoot about your local level background checks.
I'm squeaky clean and yet got a delay several years ago. I'll never know why I was delayed. That isn't info that will ever be released.

All of this is a pain in the A$$.

Oregon is even more prone to delay IMO because we have set up OSP as the middle man in the background check process.

In most states dealers are allowed to directly call NICS, but here in Oregon we have to call OSP, who then checks with NICS. My suspicion is that staffing for background checks isn't high on the priority list.

E

If you've ever been investigated by FBI then it's possible you'll be delayed.

Possible reasons for this flag are: BG investigation for a security clearance, or someone with a similar name and ID indicators such as DOB as you had been involved in a crime, OR having been investigated and later cleared/not charged may still retain your FBI flag on there.

You can apply to BATFE for a unique PIN to speed things up if it keeps happening.

OK so i called where i am trying to buy. They said still on delay could take 1-2 weeks now. And was informed that i did not put my SSN down. Didnt even see where that section was, i would of put it down (dam :mad:). My older brother is a jack hole and he is always in trouble (dosnt help i am trying to buy a gun 10 blocks from where he lives). I am in WA and i see there is a way to call someone? Who? and i will get on the phone and politely say " GIVE ME MY GUN PUNK" :p. I guess im just one lucky guy so what can i do put wait. Thanks to everyone who committed. :)

model-atf-K375.jpg

What if i go to another store and buy there? Will that mess things up? Don't wanna look like a guy running around buying a crap load of guns.o_O Plus found a cheaper price hate when that happens.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top