JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
:)

This has been a fun thread. PP- I can relate. My wife is the same way. My advice is this: If he's adamant about keeping the .38, let him. If you offer to pick up the Glock for him, and he hesitates even for a minute, buy it.

What are we in junior high? The question is whether or not a 9mm compact is preferable to a 5 shot revolver, the rest of the opinions on here are just alienating a member of this board and one who tends to be pretty helpful. Save it.

Bottom line, all other "factors" aside, is the one who needs to make the decision about which one to carry and use (if necessary, and hopefully never) is the one who will have to take it out and USE it, after putting up with having it along until then.

It is admirable your working with him to expose him to other options, and to get comfortable with other options. BUT-- since HE is the one to deal with it, HE is the one needs to make the decision. Give him plenty of time, plenty of hands on experience with both... and maybe even a few other options as well. (a pistol range that rents stuff, of drag some of your own handguns out to a field and have at it).

His being totally comfortable with the piece in carrying it, storing it, drawing it, and actually firing it under the stress of a situation are all key to his safety "out there". All that into the bargain, I'd advise, recommend, help train, give options, help him explore those options.... but NEVER make the decision for him. Any firearm will become an extension of the user when needed.... and when being carried. Some things just don't FIT some people, either in size or style or mode of use. I can't hold Glocks.. no matter how much others recommend or praise them, if someone would GIVE me one I'd list it on Gunbroker tomorrow. And use the money to buy something I CAN hold and be comfortable with. (on the other hand, some of what I like and am comfortable with does NOT suit those same people pushing Glocks on me....).

His safety is at least in part dependent upon his total comfort with whatever he is using.
Now, I'd also run him through Speedloader drills with the J, just so he KNOWS, firsthand, what it takes to get off the same number of shots as the Glock. Let that be part of his comfort zone......

I'd never let anyone else decide FOR me what kind of shoes I wear, what car I have to drive.. or what gun I carry for personal protection. Far too personal, far to individual.

Yeah, that grip is generally a self correcting problem!! I would go with some of the others and let him decide. Once he's trained up he can decide which one he is more comfortable with.

What are we in junior high? The question is whether or not a 9mm compact is preferable to a 5 shot revolver, the rest of the opinions on here are just alienating a member of this board and one who tends to be pretty helpful. Save it.

Whoa there! No one was trying to alienate PB here whatsoever. If you re-read how that all developed, you'll see that it was just a question of the OP, and a little misunderstanding. I had no idea we couldnt make light of a funny misunderstanding, without being accused of being "juvenile". No controversy here, move along....

I vote for the model 60. when a person of limited experience with firearms is in the most stressed out situation they might ever encounter, to actually have to shoot another human being,I feel the revolver is a more instinctive tool to use. & god forbid the gun doesn't go BANG. Just pull the trigger again, & again, & again. not so simple with the semi auto. just my $.02

funnily enough my wife's first gun was an S&W 36 5 shot 38, which she loved for its size and simplicity. I shared your concern over it not having what i considered sufficient firepower, so i tried to steer her towards a G26 too. Whilst i sold her on the idea that the higher bullet count and bigger bang were pluses, she just could not get comfortable with the Glock, so she kept the S&W.
Then about a year ago she tried a colleagues S&W M&P 9mm compact and fell in love with it, purely because it fit her hand much better than the G26.

So, your arguments in favor of size and capacity are well founded, but maybe the Glock is just not the right platform to take advantage of them ?

We have a nice ol Colt .380 (Model 1908) Great gun. Never failed to feed or fire. But, My wife is not "in to" guns and even after a bunch of time spent with her and that gun, I felt that she would be less intimidated by a good ol' revolver. Once I pointed out the 642 (.38 Special) with the Crimson Trace grips, SHE bought it for herself! She understands, no safety, no mag, no "racking" the slide, no drill to make it safe. She loves the simplicity of the revolver.

pull, point, squeeze, BOOM!

Whoops, didn't I just jump to a different thread? :D

Who wants to be the recipient of a .38 and a 9mm to describe the difference to us? I'm cool with her packin the .38 and I sometimes pack it myself.

...the conversation leading up to this decision went something like this...

"This gun shoots nice."
"Would you like to get one of these for you?
"No, there is no need to spend the money. The gun I have is fine."
"Are you sure?"
"Yeah, I really like this one but we have a lot of expenses right now."
"We can afford one gun if you want it. We are not that broke."
"I will let you decide. If you think it is a better gun..."

See what I am dealing with. :)

wow playboy you really have some issues. If only that could be the conversation with my wife.
Mine usually ends with "why do you need another gun!!! the one you have is just fine!!!"

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads