JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nothing...

I have bout 3 rifles and one shotgun from Walmart (I figure its the same thing as Bi-Mart?), they are the same thing you find at any other store just cheaper and with less markup.

Actually I have to note I did buy 1 Remington 700 ADL, which was actually a discontinued gun so I could not get that from most gun shops.

But the others I bought were (2) 10/22s and a 870 shotgun, where were the same as else where but cheaper.

If they really are the same gun you could ask Philomath if they have any room to move on price. I wouldn't expect them to match Bi-Mart's price, but if they could even get a little closer, I would rather deal with a real gun shop. The small independent gun shops are becoming a vanishing breed and I like to support them when I can.

I saw the same large discrepancy with Bi-Mart Mossberg shotgun prices vs. the gunshows - almost a $100 difference. And the Bi-Mart folks are even nice and courteous :) if you like that old fashioned being treated like a customer thing. Some folks like that crusty I'm doing you a favor sales approach.

Getting off topic but please explain this if Walmart/BiMart get huge breaks in pricing because they buy in bulk whats Cabelas excuse? Cabelas prices are TERRIBLE and they sales numbers seem like they would be HUGE! Maybe they figure we are the biggest, if you want it come to us and we WILL have what your looking for but you WILL pay a premium??

Nothing...

I have bout 3 rifles and one shotgun from Walmart (I figure its the same thing as Bi-Mart?), they are the same thing you find at any other store just cheaper and with less markup.

Actually I have to note I did buy 1 Remington 700 ADL, which was actually a discontinued gun so I could not get that from most gun shops.

But the others I bought were (2) 10/22s and a 870 shotgun, where were the same as else where but cheaper.

I don't personaly put Walmart and Bi-Mart in the same basket. Bi-Mart is employee owned. That goes a long way in my book. I would much rather buy from Bi-Mart than Walmart. I say, get the good deals you can at Bi-Mart and then support your local dealers on the rest. Bi-Mart doesn't have all the goods your local gun shops have.

I got a 93R17 BTVS at BiMart last year for $299. I've asked BiMart employees and small gun shop employees about the lower prices and got the same answer. BiMart buys in bulk, therefore their cost is lower. When they have sales on certain guns (93R17 BTVS being one, 10/22's being another) they are actually selling at a LOSS, to get get customers in the door, counting on your return business or your buying other goods, as their way of making the loss back. The small gun shop I was talking to actually bought the 10/22's they had displayed FROM BiMart because it was cheaper than they could get them from their wholesaler.

It could be any number of things: maybe Cabela's has a national pricing policy, whereas Walmart allows it's department managers to purchase and price at their discretion, as long as it's profitable.

Cabela's also has more overhead. Compare a Cabela's store to a Bi-mart or Walmart. They have to pay for all that taxidermy somehow. Further, to pick one thing and say one store is more expensive than the other is a bit myopic.
Does either of the -marts ever run a sale? Sometimes Cabela's does.

I think if you were to choose 30 items available from each store and compare them, Cabela's might be cheaper.

Cabela's also doesn't sell groceries or beverages, which tend to have a healthy margin.

All in all, just remember that there is no single causality to anything.

Also, I don't shop for firearms at Cabela's. Heck, I don't even go in their store any more it's such a zoo.

I got mine from Bimart, they mounted and bore sighted the scope for free. You'll love the rifle.

They treat me very well in my local Bimart - know me by name and are always friendly even though I'm more of a browser than a shopper most of the time.

I can't say the same for most gun shops I've been to. The exception for me is the Baron's Den where I've always been treated very well.

I wouldn't feel too bad for the gun shops - they had a pretty good year last year!

Claypigeon: Good thing you brought up the Employee Owned portion of Bi-Mart. Because of that they can turn around and put profits into lowering costs for their members. That's one reason I'm glad that there are two Bi-Marts within 10 minutes of my house.

Cycle: valid point about the lost leader. you may come in and buy a gun for $30 off, then turn around and buy a scope, and ammo since you 'saved' money. They end up with more sales that way vs. if you had bought the gun at the 'regular price'.

I have been in the gun section of Bi-Mart locally and have dealt with 4 different people. 1/2 of them were actually helpful, the other two seemed more interested in something else. I guess some people forget who buys from the store that pays their wages.

Along the WalMart end: Wally World is such a bulk buyer they have been known to actually tell a company: "If you don't lower your price to xxxx I will buy from the other dealer for the same." They do so much volume that they can literally force a company to sell to them for almost no profit or go out of business.

I heard a rumor Ruger is going to stop selling Walmart the Mini14 because their prices are so insanely low compared to other dealers. They mini14 is about $300-$400 cheaper at Walmart compared to your average gun shop last time I checked.

I either read that on here or Ruger Forums I dont remember...

What's the price on a mini-14 at Walmart?

I can't remember an exact price but it was +-$20 compared to BiMart last time I checked, which was about $40 less than the only gun shop I saw one at.

I doubt Ruger would step on the toes of WalMart with such a move. If they were concerned about WalMart selling the guns for so much less than local stores they would give local stores a better price. I do know Ruger has one of the biggest discount programs for bulk orders.

I like BiMart. Been shopping there since I was a kid. I bought my first two guns from my local BiMart. I have no regrets about it. They are always courteous, and always at least attempt to be knowledgeable. That being said, I prefer to spend my money now at the local gunshops. I like to buy as local as possible. Therefore, I will spend an extra $30 to $50 (that's about the average difference I seem to pay) to support small gun shops.

And just a plug for Wes in Philomath. I bought my first two pistols from him when I was going to OSU. I took my first CCW class from him. He is always honest and straight forward. His prices are always reasonable based on what he gets things for. If he has any room to maneuver, he probably will. His store is worth supporting. If I still lived in the valley, he'd be the one getting my yearly gun budget...

+1 on all the Bimart love. Come to think of it I bought my very first gun ever from Bimart, a 12 Gauge Shotgun. They are usually very helpful, and the prices are nice. During all this primer shortage they have been the one place I could still find small pistol primers, sure I'm limited to only 4 per purchase but the few people that knew my face would always give me a few extra boxes per purchase...totally cool. Also they're based out of Eugene (right? :s0131:) so that makes them more local in my book.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top