JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I went to the gun show in Canby last weekend looking for a Springfield XD .40. I did a ton of research on it and was convinced that was what I was buying. However, when I got there I held the XD40 subcompact and loved the size and feel of it. On an impulse, I went ahead and bought the XD .40 SC. When I got home and read up on it, I learned the SC version of the .40 has a lot more "snap" to it. This being my first handgun, I think I would rather have the 9mm SC instead. Anyway, the .40 I bought is brand-new in box, never fired, never loaded, perfect condition. If I were to take it to a dealer for a trade, I'm assuming I couldn't just trade it straight-up for a 9mm in the exact same model. Would I get anywhere near the same value, or would it be better to just keep the .40? As you can probably tell from reading this I'm a complete newbie, so any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I guess it depends where you went. You'll still have to pay for another background check though.

See what you can get, if not see if somebody wants to trade on here.

Dealers have to pay the rent. They have to make a profit to keep the doors open. Remember, they can buy your gun wholesale, so why would they give you more than that for it even on a trade?

As Dyjital said, you can check with a few, but I'm betting that your best bet is to outright sell or trade the gun here. I wouldn't rule out a Glock 26 if that's what you get a chance to trade for. They are pretty popular too.

The problem is that even if you never put a round thru it, a dealer could not legally sell it as brand new. They might get very close to what they would for a new gun, but not quite. As Gunner said, you are better off looking for an outright sale or trade here.

I'd shoot it and see if I could learn to love it before I'd take a loss on it.REading others' opinions isn't really going to tell you anything.Stance,hold,and familiarity are what it takes to shoot it,not someone else's opinion of how 'snappy' it is.

You guy a firearm like that for up close and personal defense,not bullseye shooting,I'd think.Shoot it that way and see how it goes.

This being your first handgun, be sure to have someone show you how to hold it firmly and still accept the recoil. It might make all the difference in what you think of it. A lot of guys like that gun, and the Glock 27 which is somewhat similar.

I recently asked Keith at Keith's in Gresham the same question about the same gun, full-size though, and he said he would give $275 cash or the same for trade-in value. You're definitely better off going another route. I sold that same gun for $415 on here. Just my $.02

BuckWallace.

Congrats on your first handgun.

Here are my words of encouragement and advice.

The XD is a fine pistol with a good reputation. Don't feel too bad if it turns out it isn't the right pistol for you. There will be other people glad to take it off your hands for you for a fair price. Whatever dollars you lose in the transaction, if any, you can chalk up to experience.

If you decide not to keep the pistol, I strongly recommend selling it via a private transaction. If you sell it to a dealer they will likely give you 50-60% of what you can get for it in a private transaction. Private, INTRA-state transactions (meaning selling it to a resident of your state) is quite legal and done all the time. This very site has a Classifieds section where you can list and sell/trade your pistol. I've seen many people trade their pistol for the same type of pistol in a different caliber (e.g trade a 9mm Glock/XD for a 40 Glock/XD).

Now, whether you keep it or trade/sell the pistol can only be determined by you. If you are a new shooter, my first recommendation is to get some training on the fundamentals of shooting so you know what to look for in a pistol and how to figure out whether it is the right gun for you. Invest a small amount of money now and save money and frustration in the long run. I know of a NRA Basic Pistol class held montly in Canby that does an excellent job of teaching the fundamentals. The fees are $100. Once you have that under your belt, and shoot your gun, as well as several other guns if you choose to during the class, you'll be more informed and able to make an objective assessment of whether the pistol is a good match for you or not. Currently you are not able to make that informed assessment at this time, and no one else can do it for you. If you want more info on the class, ask me and I'll provide the info.

Good luck and let me know if I can help.

i suggest you call the dealer you got it from and advise him of the sitch

and ask if you can exchange it for a 9mm never know he might. taking it to another gun store will only get 50% of value.

if he says no or i can only give you a % off for a trade then

i suggest you shoot it and see what you think

if you like it keep it if not put it up on the boards for trade for the one you want.

or sell it you can probably get 90-100% of your money back selling it on the boards if its in new condition unless you over paid.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. This is my first handgun, but I neglected to say I've been around guns for a while. I've never shot a .40, but have shot a 9mm (Glock 17), and plenty of shotguns. That's pretty much what I assumed about dealers not giving top dollar and I totally understand (I've watched plenty of Pawn Stars). The gun is going to be mainly a defensive gun, with a little range shooting, so I'm just gonna man up and learn to get comfortable with it. Anyway, this has been a good experience, so thanks again for all the input!

Try it before you buy it? Clackamas Sheriff's Public Safety Training Center and indoor range has most common service pistols for Rent, just have to bring a working handgun in with you (bring a friend if you dont have one). I know they have an XD or two.

It's not that bad!!!

Recoil never killed anyone!

Learn the ZEN of pulling the trigger ON target (Bullseye) and letting the gun 'snap' ;DONE.
40S&W is a great round; to avoid the 'Magnum' recoil stay in the 40's
'wheelhouse' of 165gr or 155gr.
You should be able to shoot 200 at one range session.
Stay with it; and learn to "like" that power of your round. Good Luck

Last Edited:
..."The gun is going to be mainly a defensive gun, with a little range shooting...["QUOTE]

This comment is not meant to be offensive, but I hope it provides insight.

You just said you don't plan on shooting this gun much, but will rely upon it to save your life or the lives of others you care about. You just said that even though you won't be familiar with the trigger, the sights or the manual of arms...you will use this gun when the chips are down and crap is hitting the fan.

Obama ran on the platform of Hope. We who have made the choice to be reponsible for our own protection owe it to ourselves to do better than that.

Training beats hoping. If you decide you don't like the gun or don't shoot it well, what is the point of keeping it? get rid of it and buy something you'll shoot, and shoot, and shoot, and shoot.

..."The gun is going to be mainly a defensive gun, with a little range shooting...["QUOTE]

This comment is not meant to be offensive, but I hope it provides insight.

You just said you don't plan on shooting this gun much, but will rely upon it to save your life or the lives of others you care about. You just said that even though you won't be familiar with the trigger, the sights or the manual of arms...you will use this gun when the chips are down and crap is hitting the fan.

Obama ran on the platform of Hope. We who have made the choice to be reponsible for our own protection owe it to ourselves to do better than that.

Training beats hoping. If you decide you don't like the gun or don't shoot it well, what is the point of keeping it? get rid of it and buy something you'll shoot, and shoot, and shoot, and shoot.

I KNEW someone would respond with something like this when I wrote that! I thought of changing the wording, but didn't. I absolutely plan on becoming extremely familiar with my firearm. I'm extremely anal about being safe with anything I own, and completely understand that knowing a firearm like the back of my hand is essential in being safe with it. What I meant was, if I plan on going out to shoot through a few hundred rounds, I'll probably just use my buddies' guns or maybe buy a gun better suited for target shooting. I do plan on shooting enough with my .40 SC to become very comfortable with it, so if I do have to use it for its inteded use, I'll know what I'm doing. Just thought I'd clear that up.

I think you should go to the range at the clackamas county sheriff's station and shoot a bunch of guns (they have XDs, Glocks, Sigs, 1911s, etc.) and see what you like, then make a decision about what gun you want to settle for. Until then, it's just speculation.

carry guns was a KelTec P-11, then I put the .40 cal conversion on it, then got the .357 SIG barrel for that. Once you learn to shot that combo there is almost nothing that doesn't feel tame!

Take what you have and shoot it some or rent one of the same model to try. Don't like it still? Sell it here and buy what you like.

Before you send it down the road shoot it. I have a Beretta 9000s in 40 Cal, to me it has more of a bounce than snap. I also have a Makarov in 9x18, much smaller round, 21 pound spring and that one has "Snap". Try it out and you may be pleasantly surprised, recoil varies make to make with a lot of variables beside caliber.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top