JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
By work, keeping creeps who attack women and children off the streets, then yes. It works. Does it ruin the criminals lives? Probably. The first priority goes to the tax paying innocent citizen.
Not exactly what we were discussing, but I agree that many sex criminals are not ever to be trusted and are better off either in jail or castrated.

Murder clearance rates are 54%, and that is the best clearance rate of any class of US crime. The clearance rate includes arrests, not just convictions. So I think it is fair to say that about half of murders and the vast majority of all crimes go unsolved in any way.
I am friends with an ex-detective. His insights into policing and the criminal justice system are enlightening. Your statistic of murder clearance rates is factual, but misleading. From his experience, most murders are solved by the police, but the bar to successful prosecution (or plea bargain) is so high, only about half are followed up on to the step of arrest.

To move to another part of the topic:

The solution to crime (and several other problems) is a population with good moral character. Moral people make decisions based on moral principals, not selfishness, greed, anger, bigotry, etc..

Morals are not a result of religion, but religions recognize, respect, and promote morals. If you look at the world's religions, most share certain moral principals.

It is interesting that our popular media dislikes religions that promote morals. Unsurprising, but interesting.

The solution to crime (and several other problems) is a population with good moral character. Moral people make decisions based on moral principals, not selfishness, greed, anger, bigotry, etc..

Morals are not a result of religion, but religions recognize, respect, and promote morals. If you look at the world's religions, most share certain moral principals.
Religion doesn't cause crime, but there is no relationship between the number of people that consider themselves religious and crime. In fact, it seems to work the opposite way, with low religion states like Vermont and New Hampshire having the lowest crime rates and Alabama and Louisiana having some of the highest.

Non-religious people seem to choose to be law abiding without the imposition of a religious moral structure. The most peaceful countries on earth are largely secular - like northern Europe.

1831909-Dennis-Hopper-Quote-You-re-like-a-turd-that-won-t-flush.jpg

Religion doesn't cause crime, but there is no relationship between the number of people that consider themselves religious and crime. In fact, it seems to work the opposite way, with low religion states like Vermont and New Hampshire having the lowest crime rates and Alabama and Louisiana having some of the highest.

Non-religious people seem to choose to be law abiding without the imposition of a religious moral structure. The most peaceful countries on earth are largely secular - like northern Europe.
Religion is the foundation of all moral values. No religion, no basis for moral values. The Bible even refers to the Ten Commandments as "the Law."

Murder clearance rates are 54%, and that is the best clearance rate of any class of US crime. The clearance rate includes arrests, not just convictions. So I think it is fair to say that about half of murders and the vast majority of all crimes go unsolved in any way.
I'm not sure where you are getting your statistics, but I believe that they are either weighted or inaccurate. It's important to recognize that most criminals are fools and are easily caught. Clearly, not all perpetrators are arrested, but the majority are. Hence your lament about prison populations. You can't have it both ways. The system either works or it doesn't, so which is it?

I'm not sure where you are getting your statistics, but I believe that they are either weighted or inaccurate. It's important to recognize that most criminals are fools and are easily caught. Clearly, not all perpetrators are arrested, but the majority are. Hence your lament about prison populations. You can't have it both ways. The system either works or it doesn't, so which is it?
Standard Issue crimhumper-advocacy-group talking points. Stop feeding the troll, everybody, flag his posts and put him on Ignore Lists and eventually he'll get bored and go away.

Standard Issue crimhumper-advocacy-group talking points. Stop feeding the troll, everybody, flag his posts and put him on Ignore Lists and eventually he'll get bored and go away.
This must be that guy I added to my ignore list recently. I see the responses but not his posts (thank goodness!). Can't remember the name, RX-something maybe.

As I expected, you ignored my very clear point that morality is separate and distinct from religion.

I, too, graduated from a prestigious university. It was filled with argumentative sorts that use the same techniques as you. They all seemed to embrace the current common cause of the day, and were encouraged by the professors, who praised them for being "intelligent" and "articulate."

Fast forward many decades, and at a recent Class Reunion, the same people were acting the same, and caught up in the current common causes, to the point of fanaticism.

You are welcome to continue to argue with everyone, but you are the first person I have ever put on my "ignore" list.

It has always been a historically liberal idea. Open a history book and read about the decline of education in America as liberals touted it to be the "great equalizer".
Decline? Do you think that there was always education in the US? The US created public education in the first place, and that started in the North and took until 1870 to become the norm in all states.

Religion is the foundation of all moral values. No religion, no basis for moral values. The Bible even refers to the Ten Commandments as "the Law."
And yet many people who don't practice religion behave in a lawful, ethical and kind manner.

In 2020, there were a little over 24,576 homicides in the US and 12,440 homicide arrests. Where are you getting your information?

The reason the prisons are full is because of the length of sentences and the number of minor crimes that receive prison sentences, not because there are an amazing number of crimes solved.

Looks like Troll just bulk-deleted all his posts. Bet his next move is to go crying to his JBGC buddies about how we "treated him unfairly" and need to be Paid A Visit... @Moderators I'd humbly suggest being on high alert for retaliatory troll activity from those pinheads.

There are a couple combative leftists on this forum that I haven't put on my small ignore list. For one, I've mostly stopped participating in political threads, but they also occasionally post intelligent, insightful things that I can agree with, from a different perspective than the usual posts here.

Then in the very next post they're back to self-righteous, condescending, partisan, "progressive" babble, meant to teach us ignorant knuckle-draggers a thing or two, and I loose interest.

It's sad really. I see the occasional good post, but I stop myself from "liking" it because of the attitude or combativeness of the poster. I guess that's why we can't have realistic, respectful political discussion. We have an echo chamber here (like any place) but when someone comes along with a different perspective and maybe some good points, they've also brought the biases, condescension, and "common knowledge" of their own left-wing echo chambers with them, and it just doesn't work out.

Last Edited:
Gun control is bad. Fine. So cities come up with other things to curb crime, and those are bad, too.

Are we then back to mass incarceration and draconian sentences? They don't do anything to curb crime, but always so popular among people who don't want to do anything else.
Please tell me more about how putting people in prison for a long time for violent crime, doesn't in fact help reduce violent crime.

Logically, that person is no longer in public committing violent crimes during the time they are in prison.

There are a couple combative leftists on this forum that I haven't put on my small ignore list. For one, I've mostly stopped participating in political threads, but they also occasionally post intelligent, insightful things that I can agree with, from a different perspective than the usual posts here.

Then in the very next post they're back to self-righteous, condescending, partisan, "progressive" babble, meant to teach us ignorant knuckle-draggers a thing or two, and I loose interest.

It's sad really. I see the occasional good post, but I stop myself from "liking" it because of the attitude or combativeness of the poster. I guess that's why we can't have realistic, respectful political discussion. We have an echo chamber here (like any place) but when someone comes along with a different perspective and maybe some good points, they've also brought the biases, condescension, and "common knowledge" of their own left-wing echo chambers with them, and it just doesn't work out.
You might find your tone less than polite as well when you are constantly, constantly attacked.

Please tell me more about how putting people in prison for a long time for violent crime, doesn't in fact help reduce violent crime.

Logically, that person is no longer in public committing violent crimes during the time they are in prison.
I didn't say any such thing. Quote it.

But I would suggest that putting someone in prison for a non-violent crime along with violent criminal mentors, then releasing them to a world where they can't get a job is a good way of producing new violent criminals.

I didn't say any such thing. Quote it.

But I would suggest that putting someone in prison for a non-violent crime along with violent criminal mentors, then releasing them to a world where they can't get a job is a good way of producing new violent criminals.
You seem to say a lot that you never said. This isn't the first time I've heard that from you.

Here's your quote:

"Are we then back to mass incarceration and draconian sentences? They don't do anything to curb crime, but always so popular among people who don't want to do anything else."

Edit: "non-violent" crime often still needs some type of penalty as a deterrent, otherwise there is none. You can't fine someone who is dirt poor, hence, "time."

You seem to say a lot that you never said. This isn't the first time I've heard that from you.

Here's your quote:

"Are we then back to mass incarceration and draconian sentences? They don't do anything to curb crime, but always so popular among people who don't want to do anything else."

Edit: "non-violent" crime often still needs some type of penalty as a deterrent, otherwise there is none. You can't fine someone who is dirt poor, hence, "time."
And I stand by my quote, because the statistics of crime vs. sentencing do not support the assertion that longer sentences deter people from committing crimes or change the overall number of crimes committed.

What seems to be puzzling you is that the people that are caught and jailed for life don't make enough of a dent in the total criminal activity to matter. That's because there are always new violent criminals (previous non-violent offenders or not), and the massive number of violent criminals that have never been caught.

Only half of murderers are arrested, and that's the best clearance rate. All other felony crimes have much lower clearance rates.

And I stand by my quote, because the statistics of crime vs. sentencing do not support the assertion that longer sentences deter people from committing crimes or change the overall number of crimes committed.

What seems to be puzzling you is that the people that are caught and jailed for life don't make enough of a dent in the total criminal activity to matter. That's because there are always new violent criminals (previous non-violent offenders or not), and the massive number of violent criminals that have never been caught.

Only half of murderers are arrested, and that's the best clearance rate. All other felony crimes have much lower clearance rates.
I agree, locking people up for a long time isn't the effective deterrent it needs to be. Feet first through a chipper shredder, televised, would work a lot better and save the tax payers a ton of money!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top