JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Post #38
Skin in the game

The amount of "skin in the game" varies. Is there really a need to remind you that some take more than they contribute to this society?

Aloha, Mark

I'm all for bringing back chain gangs and prison farms. I see it as a self supporting solution. Which reminds me, I need to watch "Cool Hand Luke" tonight. And with that, I'm out.

Post #38
Skin in the game

The amount of "skin in the game" varies. Is there really a need to remind you that some take more than they contribute to this society?

Aloha, Mark
That wasn't the point. The point is that there is no such thing as being uninvolved and 'not a victim' of crime. You are either going to be impacted directly by crime, indirectly by rising costs associated with crime and incarceration, or by costs associated with prevention. You don't get to choose to not be impacted by crime, just how you're impacted.

Found this article on the shooting. No reporting that the police were asked for help and refused!

My guess is the reporter got her info from the police and the police elected to keep out the fact that they were asked for help before the shooting and refused, leaving the citizen no choice but to try to get it his car back on his own.

I hope the facts come out.

Right, they have nowhere else to go. Why is that? How about Federal supported red lining? Will anyone be punished for those policies? Will anyone be compensated because black GI's were denied GI bill support after WWII to go to college or buy a house?

Would you, as someone with a stake in our society, agree to a tax increase to try and level a past monetary inequality that lead to increased crime in your area? Why or why not?
Obviously we cannot solve all of the issues of the past. I wasn't alive then and neither were you (probably). Redlining was eventually outlawed and yes blacks were not treated fairly, but passing out money is not going to begin to rectify everything. Want to improve things for inner city folk? Improve the education system. Kick out the troublemakers, support those who walk to school with their books, improve the school meal system, get parents who cannot read well to learn so. Not in high school? No government money. Got money for drugs? You smoke? You don't need more $$. Encourage people to do better, to want to succede.
But you know, ALL OF THIS goes for everyone white, black, Asian, or Hispanic too.
No to more tax increases. Spend the money we have better.

My basic question to everyone is that if you want more government spending......then what of yours are you willing to trade in for it? Governments waste too much money now.
Equality does not mean having the same things as others, it means having the same opportunities as others.
It begins with education

I'm out. Other things to do. I wish you luck and happiness

Want to improve things for inner city folk? Improve the education system.
Education systems are paid for by local property taxes. Low property values = low education funding. Are you going to pay for the sins of the past by having your property taxes used to bolster low income education funding? Or is that an "issue of the past" that isn't your and my fault?

What would happen if the living ancestors all us vets previously denied college benefits were to receive them today? No government program, just a direct GI bill type funding of their educations? Would that be unfair to anyone?

Gun control is bad. Fine. So cities come up with other things to curb crime, and those are bad, too.

Are we then back to mass incarceration and draconian sentences? They don't do anything to curb crime, but always so popular among people who don't want to do anything else.
It is my opinion that justice that is meted out through our judicial system is an individual matter and not a blanket effort to incarcerate any particular group of people other than those that break the law. The sentences do make a difference in that they take that particular offender off the streets for a period of time and thus justice is carried out. If it appears to you that our criminal justice system doesn't seem to curb crime, I submit to you that new criminals are born every day and each criminal will eventually be caught and be punished. It's all just a matter of time and resources. In the interim, good men will continue to defend themselves and the innocent by all legal means.

Post #43
The Point.

And my point is/was.......

".....with Liberty and Justice for all."

So.....the Politicians (and in this particular case, the Police) have decided that it's easier to Punish the Law Abiding rather than the Criminal(s)?

Hummmm.....just like with Gun Control Laws. Yup......a "Great Strategy".

Aloha, Mark

It is my opinion that justice that is meted out through our judicial system is an individual matter and not a blanket effort to incarcerate any particular group of people other than those that break the law. The sentences do make a difference in that they take that particular offender off the streets for a period of time and thus justice is carried out. If it appears to you that our criminal justice system doesn't seem to curb crime, I submit to you that new criminals are born every day and each criminal will eventually be caught and be punished. It's all just a matter of time and resources. In the interim, good men will continue to defend themselves and the innocent by all legal means.
It is a fact that recidivism rates by those that go to prison are 2 out of 3 get re-arrested and 50% go back to prison.

Murders are only solved 50% of the time.

So it doesn't appear to work very well if you can't catch half of the worst criminals and half of the ones you do catch commit crime again.

Education systems are paid for by local property taxes. Low property values = low education funding. Are you going to pay for the sins of the past by having your property taxes used to bolster low income education funding? Or is that an "issue of the past" that isn't your and my fault?

What would happen if the living ancestors all us vets previously denied college benefits were to receive them today? No government program, just a direct GI bill type funding of their educations? Would that be unfair to anyone?
Your assertion that schools are funded by local property taxes is only partly accurate. The federal gov't. funds schools and a whole host of other educationally related subjects. Schools in America have failed because of poor quality of teachers, political agendas and social reforms being foisted onto the citizenry, teachers unions, lack of intact families and no dads in the home. The school systems are little more than facilities to indoctrinate children and sexualize them for exploitation by teachers, administrators and others.

Post #43
The Point.

And my point is/was.......

".....with Liberty and Justice for all."

So.....the Politicians (and in this particular case, the Police) have decided that it's easier to Punish the Law Abiding rather than the Criminal(s)?

Hummmm.....just like with Gun Control Laws. Yup......a "Great Strategy".

Aloha, Mark
If you see all forms of regulation as "punishment", then yes, the food truck vendors are being punished by having to move their trucks. You could also say that they are being punished by having to meet board of health guidelines, paying for licenses and taxes, and the fact that some of their potential clientele are scared to go to their locations due to the violence.

Everything has a cost, justice included.

Your assertion that schools are funded by local property taxes is only partly accurate. The federal gov't. funds schools and a whole host of other educationally related subjects. Schools in America have failed because of poor quality of teachers, political agendas and social reforms being foisted onto the citizenry, teachers unions, lack of intact families and no dads in the home. The school systems are little more than facilities to indoctrinate children and sexualize them for exploitation by teachers, administrators and others.
Public schools in America vary widely in the quality of their output. Having gone to a top US university, I can tell you that most of my friends had very good public school educations that equipped them to get into a competitive college and get good grades. None of them went to inner city schools.

Post #53

YES.... there are times when some amount of regulations, rules, and laws are necessary.

You'll get no argument from me on THAT point. Though.......since the post and thread is supposed to be Firearms related......I'll conclude by saying........

Unconstitutional is Unconstitutional.

Aloha, Mark

PS.........

"Therefore render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's."
Matthew 22:21

It is a fact that recidivism rates by those that go to prison are 2 out of 3 get re-arrested and 50% go back to prison.

Murders are only solved 50% of the time.

So it doesn't appear to work very well if you can't catch half of the worst criminals and half of the ones you do catch commit crime again.
The dynamics of recidivism are complex and deal with IQ's, education, family and friends as well as social systems and values. Most criminals are exceeding low functioning. Murders are solved by police at an extremely high rate. It is the convictions that are lacking because of our "social justice" system. I was kind of famous for arresting three generations of the same family for property crimes over the span of my rather short career as a cop. Why would a grandfather, his son and then his grandson participate in criminal activity when other opportunities abound?

Public schools in America vary widely in the quality of their output. Having gone to a top US university, I can tell you that most of my friends had very good public school educations that equipped them to get into a competitive college and get good grades. None of them went to inner city schools.
Good for you! However, it is imprudent (in my opinion) to judge or evaluate our system of public education simply by the measure of one's own experience. Better to examine the entire social and economic structure of this nation and then consider the imperial evidence before coming to a conclusion. The inner city of most American cities is a dumping ground for minorities and other disenfranchised people. It should come as no surprise that inner city schools don't draw the brightest and best teachers or students. The entire system has failure programmed into it. Thus, there is always a place for tax dollars to be sent in order to provide a consistent base for liberal voters.

Murders are solved by police at an extremely high rate. It is the convictions that are lacking because of our "social justice" system.
Murder clearance rates are 54%, and that is the best clearance rate of any class of US crime. The clearance rate includes arrests, not just convictions. So I think it is fair to say that about half of murders and the vast majority of all crimes go unsolved in any way.

Good for you! However, it is imprudent (in my opinion) to judge or evaluate our system of public education simply by the measure of one's own experience. Better to examine the entire social and economic structure of this nation and then consider the imperial evidence before coming to a conclusion. The inner city of most American cities is a dumping ground for minorities and other disenfranchised people. It should come as no surprise that inner city schools don't draw the brightest and best teachers or students. The entire system has failure programmed into it. Thus, there is always a place for tax dollars to be sent in order to provide a consistent base for liberal voters.
Why would making education equally funded be a liberal idea?

You guys are against everything except longer prison sentences because there is a myth that deterrence actually works.
By work, keeping creeps who attack women and children off the streets, then yes. It works. Does it ruin the criminals lives? Probably. The first priority goes to the tax paying innocent citizen.

After some decades of examples of a stacked system, racism and other biases, criminals continue to criminal and can't catch a clue. Long stays in prisons hurt the individual? Don't go to prison.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads