JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Preparing for life with Donald Trump as president and Republican majorities in Congress, Michael Bloomberg's gun control group is threatening to spend more than $25 million in 2018 races.

Everytown for Gun Safety, founded and funded by the billionaire former New York City mayor, is hiring several new top staffers and turning much of its attention to state legislatures, while moving to a defensive posture in Washington as it tries to stop what's known as "concealed carry reciprocity" from becoming law. That will include starting to score congressional votes, like the National Rifle Association does, to guide spending decisions more directly.

That measure would effectively loosen gun laws significantly by holding gun owners to the laws of their own state when carrying their weapons in other states, no matter how different the laws are in, for example, Texas versus New York.

A bill to legalize concealed carry reciprocity was introduced last month with the strong support of the NRA, and Trump said during his campaign that he supported it.

Everytown is brandishing its significant spending in the 2016 New Hampshire Senate race that former Republican Sen. Kelly Ayotte lost narrowly — the group targeted her for voting against background checks in 2013 — as a warning to other senators up in 2018 and possibly 2020 as well.

Gun control group vows $25M to fight 'concealed carry'

Does this mean the laws of my state in which I reside supersedes laws of other states?
Like my concealed carry permit would work in any state and I might even be allowed to open carry?
Granted local law would have final say as to the open carry, but it has me curious. It would suck to be from California or New York, but you're fine anywhere if your state allows CCW's or open carry?

I get it, they're spending to vote in dissent of this law.

He can certainly spend all the $$ he wants, but I think the voters of America made it clear in November 2016 - they wanted a different direction. He couldn't get it done, at least on a big level, when Obama was in office, I think he'll suffer even more losses now. Many folks who voted for Trump, but were uncertain of how he would perform are now becoming real believers in his message. Yes, some still hate him and always will, but he seems to be winning over more than he's losing.

Bloomberg's money is going to probably gain some ground in certain states - obviously buying legislators in Oregon works well, but in the end, the voters have shown that, across the country, most aren't interested in more gun control, and many have said, enough, we're done with gun control - their votes have solidified that. Bloomberg actually said a few years ago that he is, effectively, buying his spot in heaven by doing this. I have a sneaking suspicion he's not going to get the room he thought he reserved :rolleyes:

... I don't know about all that jazz...
I can't say I agree with you on that.
Especially with the records he's been breaking recently. Tho maybe his approval rating went up since the missile strike. Not that it really matters if he is liked or not, so long as he gets good things done.

I can agree with declassifying silencers and reciprocity of CCW's tho.
TBH I am a supporter of background checks. I think those against them are afraid they won't meet the standards, or are just whiners. Won't get many fans with that attitude, but I believe it helps if only a little. I would like them to be free tho, a curtousy as it is required by law. I also think Bloomberg's money would be better spent on BGC's and real issues, like healthcare and clean energy. My two cents

I don't want national reciprocity if it means my state , Washington has to meet the requirements of other states in order for it to be nationally recognized. We have shall issue with no class or test. Not too many other states have that.

Good point, but I gathered that a CC permit from any state would be recognized in every other state. Was I wrong?

To be honest I don't know why this legislation is needed. There are already compacts between the states for reciprocity. I can't imagine that the feds will be telling California, New Jersey or New York to allow visitors to concealed carry while its own citizens cannot.

Well I heard that I need to get a Utah license to get more than like 13 or 16 states to recognize my Oregon CC permit... Washington is not one of those states, ironically. I see that as a problem, as I spent a lot of time growing up north of Spokane and have family there but I live in Portland... so yeah, if Washington and Idaho recognize Oregon CC's I wouldn't care as much.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top