JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Gun-control group putting ads on Metro Transit buses | Politics Northwest | Seattle Times

A state gun-control group is putting advertisements inside and outside of dozens of King County Metro Transit buses, urging residents to "think twice about having a gun in your home."

But the ads, paid for by Washington Ceasefire, were rejected by transit agencies in Snohomish and Pierce counties, said the group's board president, Ralph Fascitelli.

In addition to the "think twice" message, most of the ads include a statistical claim such as that a homeowner with a gun is 22 times more likely to kill a friend or family member than an intruder.

Fascitelli said the statistics are from the book "Private Gun, Public Health" by Dr. David Hemenway of the Harvard School of Public Health.

The ad buy includes 53 exterior ads and 130 interior ads, according to the King County Department of Transportation. They recently went up and will be in place until at least June 2.

Jeff Switzer, a spokesman for the department, said the ads are in compliance with its ad policy, which prohibits political campaign speech and several other categories of advertising.

Any suggestions for "non-political campaign speech" pro-2a signs to put on these busses?

How is that not a political campaign speech? I would love to see a pro 2A bus ad but I'd imagine most folks who use mass transit aren't pro freedom or could care less.

It's not political in the sense it's urging people not to have guns in their houses. It has no political agenda for change in the government.

Make a good cause to have guns in peoples houses. Perhaps cite average police response time and say something witty in regards to "5 minutes is a long time when all a criminal needs is one pull of a trigger. Armed citizens are safe citizens"

Send messages to the group. Say things like "the more I think about it the more I KNOW I need to get a gun for the house". Let them know it is working ;)

Meh, most patrons of public transit can barely read (if at all) anyways. If you DO get some ad space, be sure to use no more than two-syllable words, and include biki-clad women. It will get (and keep) their attention long enough to sound out them big two-syllable words.

Not all, Stomper, but I definitely get your point. A Medical Center that I worked for a few years pretty much forced the majority of the staff to use public transportation. It wasn't that they couldn't provide parking more economically than the Tri-Met passes they gave us, it was because it was a "green" policy.

I envision a poster showing a mom huddled protecting her children against an armed intruder. At the top, let's use their caption "Think Twice", at the bottom "When seconds count the Police are only minutes away". If the bus route is near Stomper, the mom is allowed to wear a bikini :D

Well, you couldn't buy an ad on a metro bus promoting gun ownership.....

UPDATE: Double standard at work on anti-gun Metro bus ads?

Washington Ceasefire’s second annual effort to push personal disarmament by running advertisements on transit buses in King and Snohomish counties has hit a snag, according to Sunday’s edition of the Seattle Times, and Monday morning, the issue was raising eyebrows and questions of balance.

<broken link removed>

Realty Check Warning, Folks!

The anti gun forces are growing fast, and so is their money. The number of insane people commiting insane acts with guns is growing too, and the news distorts every story (I heard one a few weeks ago where they made of point of saying that a pistol used in a shooting was 'semi auto'). The pro gun forces are losing ground on this issue, and the NRA has made a death grip on a no compromise position. The NRA is a penny ante' lobbying group by DC standards anyway (they spend about 2 million a year while the financial industry is good for at least 50 times that even on a year when they are faceing no limiting legislation). Even AARP spends lots more than the NRA. We have a 2nd amendment with the term milita in it, and militas were replaced by a more than well funded full time military, and a national guard to boot. We have a position of sticking to our rights that makes us seem like we support the worst sorts of criminal behavior, while they have crying mothers holding dead children. In short, we are going to lose, and the only way to hang on to our rights for a while longer is to compromise.

I suggest we consider giving them universal background checks if they are fast and free. That just might buy us another decade.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top