JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OLYMPIA – Gun control advocates in Washington believe they have the best opportunity yet to get tough restrictions on how some semiautomatic firearms are bought, sold and kept in homes.

Sporting orange scarves to show solidarity for stronger gun safety, they gathered with Gov. Jay Inslee, other statewide officials and sympathetic lawmakers shortly before Thursday's hearing on two bills they say balance rights with responsibilities on guns.

Past gun control or gun safety measures have stalled in the House and been ignored in the Senate, but have succeeded at the ballot box. Last November, voters in 48 of the state's 49 legislative districts approved an initiative that allows a court to remove guns from people judged an extreme threat to themselves or other people. Now the Legislature could be asked to vote on several new proposals.

Gun control advocates in Washington see their best chance yet for tougher laws

The other would require people who own, buy or sell a semiautomatic "assault weapon" or a high-volume magazine to obtain a yearly license. It would also require anyone buying such a weapon to be 21, wait three days and undergo a background check by law enforcement. Currently such weapons can be purchased by someone who is 18, with no waiting period and with a background check by a gun dealer.

A yearly license? This isn't a bill intended for public safety – it's a revenue bill.

A yearly license? This isn't a bill intended for public safety – it's a revenue bill.
But read how they word that.
"......wait 3 days and undergo a background check by law enforcement .."
Then they say
"....with no waiting period and a background check by a gun dealer"
??????W.T.F?????
So they want folks to think the gun shops do there own background check,not have the FBI do it?
Kaaa Ryst. They come up with some good plays on words don't they?
@sigmadog is that the actual wording? If so they are playing hard ball

@sigmadog is that the actual wording? If so they are playing hard ball

It was quoted from the news story, which I assume quoted it directly from the bill.

All I know for sure is that Idaho and Arizona are looking better and better for my retirement. I'm a lifelong WA resident, but I hate the direction the Cali transplants are taking it.

If memory serves, for non-CPL's there's still a waiting period, isn't there?

There's a counterpoint: "Gun-shop 4473s go through NICS, which is run by the FBI. Who has access to more inestigative resources, small local-yokel agencies or the frickin' FEDERAL Bureau of Investigation?"

I know if I won the lottery, first thing I'd do as the new "breadwinner" of the family would be to tell the two Evil Old Pains "if you two want my help with being the manual labor to run your house like Alfred the F***ing Butler, we're moving to Texas."

Been considering a move from Colorado to a less repressive state, tho considering my age such a move will be a LOT of work... I had been thinking about eastern Washington or perhaps Idaho but this board has convinced me that Washington is off the list. The Dem-controlled Colorado legislature and governor have passed anti-gun laws that I never believed could be passed in Colorado.. as soon as the Dems took control of the legislature they lost NO time passing bans of magazines over 15 rounds and private-party sales of any firearm.. all must go thru an FFL. So much for a "Gun Show loophole", altho gun-show purchases had to go thru an ffl anyway prior to passage. (I will never vote for any Democrat again). Several legislators responsible for this lost their seats and Dems are reluctant to claim their party affiliation, but they still control the governor and legislature. Attempts to roll back these onerous laws have failed.
When I moved here in 1973 this State was a rock-hard Republican bastion, but that has changed as the :eek:Californicators moved here in droves and changed the demographics.... ::::heavy sigh:::: Best wishes in your battle to remain a Free State!

Think I'm moving to idaho too. Liberals in Washington are multiplying like Tribbles! I'm more of a libertarian myself. I believe all guns, mag capacities, etc. should be legal.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top