JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Loaded gun checked on plane headed from Los Angeles to Portland

Airport security officials at Los Angeles International Airport failed to detect a loaded handgun that was in the checked bag of a passenger headed for Portland on Sunday.

"Our ground crews were loading bags into the aircraft on Flight 563 that was scheduled to depart at 8:30 a.m. Pacific time from L.A. to Portland," Alaska Airlines spokeswoman Bobbie Egan said. "A firearm fell out of a passenger's checked bag and onto a loading belt. Our employees contacted law enforcement who confiscated the firearm and removed the passenger from the plane for questioning."

The passenger did not declare the firearm to the airline, which is a federal requirement, Egan said. Nor was the firearm properly stowed. According to the Transportation Security Administration's website, checked firearms must be carried in a hard-sided, locked container and meet other requirements.

Violations can result in criminal prosecution and civil penalties of up to $10,000 per violation, according to TSA.

The owner of the gun was questioned at the LAPD's Pacific station and released and allowed to board a later flight to Portland, according to a law enforcement source quoted by the Los Angeles Times. The gun was turned over to Los Angeles police.

The Times said its sources declined to speak for attribution because they were not authorized to speak for their departments.

TSA spokeswoman Lorie Dankers said the TSA had screened the bag for explosives and there were none.

"It's the airline and passenger's responsibility to ensure that firearms are transported correctly," she said. Dankers noted that since the firearm was in a checked bag, the passenger would not have had access to it on the flight.

Egan said the responsibility for revealing the firearm is the passenger's. "The airlines' sole responsibility is to make sure the passenger knows the rules, and that is prompted on our check-in," she said.

According to the Times, the traveler told authorities that he had flown out of Portland with the same bag, with the gun inside, three days earlier. It was not immediately clear whether he had notified the airline about the gun when he flew out of Portland.

Marshall McClain, president of the union representing Los Angeles Airport Police, said the incident showed that the Transportation Security Administration had not focused on its core mission, to thoroughly screen passengers, while expending too much effort on duties that police perform.

"TSA must do their primary mission and do it well," McClain said. "Local law enforcement needs to know that TSA is doing their part and not continuously trying to duplicate the law enforcement side of the airport screening program while their primary mission suffers."

Oregonian reporter Sally Ho and the Los Angeles Times contributed to this report.

--Rachel Stark

Loaded gun checked on plane headed from Los Angeles to Portland | OregonLive.com

* What is this knucklehead doing carrying a loaded handgun in Lost Angels? I am surprised they let him go!!
* How come this firearm went thru PDX undetected? Aren't they supposed to cross check?
* Thankfully, there was no mention the passenger is a CHL holder
* Is this topic still not covered in CHL training class? I took it twice (OR & UT), and it wasn't. I think it should.

I'm surprised they didn't wait for the passenger to retrieve the bag so they could be charged for a crime under CA law.

Probably the attendants were going through the bags looking for cameras and other stuff to steal and found the gun. By saying it "fell out" they could avoid telling that they had opened and gone through it.

Hey, it's Kali after all. I say it again. Can't believe they let him go, which somehow reinforces there is something iffy about the whole thing. There is no way you can walk in and out of a Kali airport carrying a loaded firearm in your baggage and be kosher. Anyone familiar with Kali laws pitch in, please.

This whole situation is a bit odd. Last I heard, this person remained nameless. This would imply that this person has some political pull, or it sounds that way to me. If this was just Joe Smuck, they would have posted his/her face all over the place, his/her name would be known and he/she would be spending the night in the local jail, waiting for some federal charges. Some just ain't right in the state of California.

Is this topic still not covered in CHL training class? I took it twice (OR & UT), and it wasn't. I think it should.

It should be. That guy is an idiot. There is no sticky for this, so here's a quick rundown since I fly with firearms quite a bit.

Most carriers use the TSA standard for acceptable cases with firearms and only allow 11lbs (5kg) of ammo (international standard). I usually fly AK air and they allow up 50lbs on domestic flights. Here are links to most major carriers and their policies. Double check everything before you fly.

When checking in tell the person at the check in counter you have a firearm to declare. You sign a slip stating it is unloaded, place it inside the case, lock it up and you're on your way. DO NOT USE TSA LOCKS ON THE CASE! ONLY YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO ACCESS THE FIREARM! THIS IS ONE OF THE STIPULATIONS OF FLYING WITH FIREARMS!

Sorry for the rant. Just trying to disseminate correct information.

TSA: Traveling with Special Items

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

Southwest Special Luggage

Dangerous Goods restrictions at delta.com

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

US Airways | US Airways Special items

This whole situation is a bit odd. Last I heard, this person remained nameless. This would imply that this person has some political pull, or it sounds that way to me. If this was just Joe Smuck, they would have posted his/her face all over the place, his/her name would be known and he/she would be spending the night in the local jail, waiting for some federal charges. Some just ain't right in the state of California.

This wasn't your average passenger coming or going from a California airport with a loaded weapon.
Air marshal and that was his secondary weapon?
Trying to catch some baggage people stealing?

So the guy didn't properly check his firearm and got caught....damn the system? Lets not make excuses for stupidity. If my idiot brother can figure out how to get an AR from Coos Bay to Virginia on commercial airlines, ANYONE can.

Just makes you wonder how many things get through that aren't detected. They didn't notice it until it "fell out" of an unzipped compartment on a duffel bag?

Rhys_Gibson.orig.jpg

I saw an article a few years ago from a professional photographer who always packs a starter pistol (glorified cap gun used at races,) in with his camera gear.
His reasoning?
1. The TSA considers them "firearms", and thus you have to declare them.
2. In no state in the union are they considered "firearms" for the purpose of legality of ownership - aka, they're legal to own.
3. You are then allowed to lock the case with your own lock the TSA can't open.
4. Anecdotally, do you think the TSA will allow a suitcase with a "CHECKED FIREARM" tag to disappear?

It really does sound like a good idea. Instead of packing just the gun for the sake of the gun, pack your other valuables with it, to keep them better locked up!

Wow, it seems that as strict as airports have been, they would catch EVERYthing, especially a loaded handgun. Just last week, I was in Hawaii and I used my summer biking bag to store my carry on. In my biking bag, I keep several tools in there but I removed all of them (so I thought) and replaced them with extra necessities for the trip. When I landed in Hawaii, I started unpacking my stuff and as I unpacked my biking bag (carry on), I was shocked to find that I had forgot to remove my craftsman folding knife. Knives are definitely not allowed on planes for obvious reasons and with the hard time I got from the TSA's, you would have thought they would have caught that in my baggage. On the bright side, there's $15 I didn't have to throw away.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top