JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I would like to know how many people carry insurance on collections?

I'm trying to compare rates from various companies.

I'm finding that a lot of them either won't talk or don't have exact rates.

I'm finding that 2% of value seems about right annually.
Which means $10000 value of firearms would cost $200 a year.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Morpheus

Be aware that some large carriers don't insure firearms , and I've been told that some will use the fact that there are firearms on the premises to cancel or refuse to renew your homeowners policy . best to cold call an agent and ask about their company's policy on guns before you contact your personal agent . That being said , your standard home coverage will only cover a small percentage of the value of your collection if you have a problem .

Seabee Patriot: Yes, most policies (if they cover firearms at all) have caps on them. Usually in the 5K range. Unless you get a separate rider on them.

This I know, I'm just trying to find out what is reasonable for the cost of that rider.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions,
Morpheus

Our agent is an gun owner...Farmers Insurance.
He helped us get a rider for...hmmm...about $10.00 a month that covers both guns AND reloaded ammo.
I can check on the details if anyone is interested; Pt. Angeles area of WA.

Just be sure that your insurance is enough to cover all of them. Some insurance companies only cover up to $1,000 and you need another policy for what is above that.

Since I'm not an agent and my wife is, I checked with her on the details with Safeco Insurance. Here is what she said:
Most insurance companies have limits on gun coverage from $1000-$5000 (not per gun, total for all guns). No matter how much coverage you have for personal property, the limit applies. Safeco Insurance, however, does not have that limitation on guns. They will pay out up to your full personal property limit for guns (after deductible). The best part is there is no extra charge for this! They are the only insurance company that I know of that does this.

Since I'm not an agent and my wife is, I checked with her on the details with Safeco Insurance. Here is what she said:
Most insurance companies have limits on gun coverage from $1000-$5000 (not per gun, total for all guns). No matter how much coverage you have for personal property, the limit applies. Safeco Insurance, however, does not have that limitation on guns. They will pay out up to your full personal property limit for guns (after deductible). The best part is there is no extra charge for this! They are the only insurance company that I know of that does this.

That's good to know since I already use them. Is there a form you have to fill out or is it just automatic?

We have ours scheduled (rider) on our homeowner's insurance. Country will cover up to $1000/firearm unscheduled, but then there's the deductible, which applies to each. Instead, we scheduled them, the deductible on scheduled items is $100 and they'll replace exactly what is listed for the value listed. I did need to give the insurance co a list of make/model/value. And the one that's had a bunch of custom-smith-work needed an appraisal to validate the value I gave it.

Without scheduling, many are worth less than the regular deductible, but now that they're scheduled, only one is worth less than $100.

I've got a renters policy with State Farm. When I was getting it, I asked specifically about firearms, because at the time it was the only thing I owned with any substantial worth. When I talked to my agent, we agreed upon a value they were to be insured for and he presented me with a premium. Which I still pay to this day. He didn't even bat an eye when I asked, didn't have to look anything up and according to him it's pretty common.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top