JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hi i just got a taurus p92 and all the blueing is worn off the slide and i was wondering what woulld be a good product to use or a good place to go local to get it done. i would like to get a nice flat/satin black finish on it. i am also looking for a good gunsmith if any one has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated
thanks chris

Does Guncoat NW do Cerakote or something similar? In looking at their website I understood that they apply is "Duracote" which is similar to "Cerakote". I dont want to pass along bad info so if I am misinformed please let me know. If they do Cerakote I am excited, since they are located about 5 miles from me.

I've had bad results with duracoat. The paint seems to flake/chip/scratch way too easily.

I will do cerakote from now on. It's proven to be incredibly tough on the two guns I had coated.

I only have a few poorly framed and lit cell phone pics, but I'll post them up anyway.

It withstood re-installing the heat shield. That was a big surprise for me. That shield is a tight fit and I had to slide it down the barrel, grinding the whole way. To my surprise there was not a single scratch.

imag0020xz.jpg

imag0033u.jpg

well thats what i was looking for cerakote it is and i know what you mean about the heat sheild i have installed one before. does any one know what the avarage price for a pistol just one color is ?

Duracoat gets a bad rep because amateurs apply it incorrectly and then whine about it. Sorry, it's a fact. I have a hunk of steel in my shop with Duracoat on one side and Ceracoat on the other and most people don't know which is which after scratching both. They are both good products.

I just duracoated a Glock frame and it seems to be holding up well. from what I understand, ceracoat needs to be baked in the oven. Polymer frames will melt out of shape even at 250 degrees... I know, I had a Glock that I heated up with some leather building a holster for it and it mis-shaped the mag well so bad I had to beat it into submission. I know that it was 250 as I had a thermometer in with it. Any input?

There are two different types of Cerakote. The H series is the standard finish they use for firearms. It includes a hardener and is baked on. The other type is C series, which doesn't have to be baked on, so it is used for heat sensitive parts. But the trade-off to no heat is less durability than H-series. I still like the product. It's what I have many of the custom guns I build coated with. It's what Nosler coats their rifles with (take that for what its worth, I suppose).
I don't do the coatings myself, but I do offer the service out of my shop in Sweet Home. I take them to a professional every few weeks. He has a full professional set-up with paint booths and commercial ovens, and has been spraying for years. He's who I have do my personal guns, again, for what that's worth.

I have little experience with duracote or KG or any of the other spray-on products. I'm sure properly applied they will function as advertised. Getting them properly applied always seems to be the struggle. And their reputations suffer accordingly. Cerakote is almost always applied by a factory trained person, or at least a factory trained shop. That probably helps with things.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top