JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Gun cleaning rods vs cleaning cables/cords/snakes?

• Cleaning Rods

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • Cleaning Cables

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Both

Votes: 29 53.7%

• Total voters
Haha, you're on a roll :)

I like the cables for the annoying/tight stuff, but as i said in your other thread, paying what seems like a lot of money for a decent CF ball bearing cleaning rod was actually my best buy in cleaning gear.

Snake types are by far easiest. And they do a decent job.
I like to go the old fashioned route once in a while though cause it makes me feel better.

Snakes for pistols and revolvers, rod for rifles. Sometimes its hard to get the light metal tip on the snake to drop through a long barrel so mainly I stick to rods for rifles.

For bench rest shooting and the accuracy you would expect, a good rod is an essential element to your shooting regime! A bore snake was made for mil spec arms to replace rods that can get lost, bent, or broken! They do a decent job for what they are intended for, but do not truly clean as well as a dedicated high quality rod set up!

i learned with rods but now prefer snakes and brushes. if you clean every time or every other time then it doesnt get that dirty. i put +20k rounds thru my mossberg 535 without failure and only cleaned it 4 times in 9 years. still runnin.

@Joe Link

Walmart sells a large Winchester kit for very a reasonable price and it has covered everything from tiny .22 revolvers and simi autos to SKS's and shotguns of different calibers.

I added a rod guide for my bolt action .308. And grab a large bag of large patches (they can be cut down), some cleaning solution (I like Rem Oil because it's in an spray can) and some oil (I'm a hoppe's guy).

That's my entire kit and it was cheaper then buying each thing individually and covers everything I can think of ... It doesn't have a 10ga brush if you have one :p.

One thing I might add is a one piece fiberglass rod for my rifles.

Also, IMO and everyone has one it seems, I would only use a snake for a quick field cleaning - they are gimmicky to me (and yes, I do own one for .22 cal's and don't use it).

I'm not sayin the snake is no good.......From WW-1 to present, you pissed on a boot lace with a few nots tied in it and yanked it through the bore! worked out just fine then, and most of the good solvents have ammonia (just like urine) as the active ingredient! A good rod set is used to keep a fine and probably expensive gun working as good as it can be made to work! Use what ever you can get your hands on! A clean gun is a happy gun!

More damage can be done with a rod used incorrectly then a snake type tool. But if you use a bore guide, a one piece rod and proper technique a rod is the only way to clean a firearm.

Bore snake type devices are good for field cleaning, but do a really poor job of getting a bore clean. (Use a bore scope and you will see.) If you don't clean a snake often, meaning every time you use them, you are dragging abrasive crap through your bore every time you make a pass with it. Would you use a dirty patch or brush over and over again?

Also, IMO and everyone has one it seems, I would only use a snake for a quick field cleaning - they are gimmicky to me (and yes, I do own one for .22 cal's and don't use it).
I agree I would only use a snake for quick field cleaning... I don't think they are a gimmik though I thought snakes or flexible rods were made specifically for field use?
few years ago I slipped hunting on a steep hillside and my muzzle took a good core sample of dirt. had nothing to clean it with. sucked.... sat down emptied the rifle and blew the dirt out like a straw it mostly worked but had to finish the hunt wondering what would happen if I took a shot. I carry one of those flexible rod compact kits now they are light enough.

I don't worry too much about a rod hurting the barrel. It holds up pretty well to having oversized chucks of copper flying through it at 3000 fps. I use a Klean Bore coated rod with guide on rifles .

I don't worry too much about a rod hurting the barrel. It holds up pretty well to having oversized chucks of copper flying through it at 3000 fps. I use a Klean Bore coated rod with guide on rifles .
I do, it depends on the quality of the rod especially if its not a 1 piece rod and the segments have a burr or step in them. Most of the damage is at the crown on entry a guide helps mitigate that.

Because of the reasons mentioned, and because it makes all the difference in actual ease of use, i use the carbon fibre one piece rods with ball bearings, finally got rid of the multi lengths i though were fine that come in call the cheap kits :)

(i'd no idea that they were supposed to rotate with the rifling)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top