JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just wanted to solicit some input and feedback from members about favorite cleaning products and methods. I'm an old dude, so
I've been using the old standard Hoppes #9 since forever ago. I've been noticing that it doesn't really work all that well on propellant
residue from the stuff I'm shooting, especially the Aguila .22lr, which leaves a silvery gunk that has to be scraped off with a dental spatula.
Has anyone found a better solvent that actually dissolves the leftovers from these newer powders?

It's a pretty fancy day if I use anything more than WD-40. Yep, I'm cheap and lazy but my guns always shoot.

Not the standard blue can but the new fancy version. I can't remember what it's called. Silver can I think.

Rim fire guns are especially filthy to clean up!

I have been using the new Breakthrough brand cleaner with excellent results on carbon and powder fouling.
It is a little pricey though....

I've been using Bore Tech Eliminator: Bore Tech Eliminator Bore Cleaner | The Best Gun Cleaning Solvent From Bore Tech

It is expensive but it doesn't take much. It is water based so after I'm done with the initial cleaning, I'll use Hoppes because it is solvent based and will help eliminate moisture residue. Then I use oil. Last a final rub down.

I found myself really having to work hard with Hoppes -- with the Bore Tech stuff I don't even use bore brushes anymore, just patches. Hopefully that pays off in barrel life.

EDIT: for the Bore Tech stuff you need aluminum jags -- it has a copper indicator that turns blue but brass has copper in it, so it is always blue with brass jags.

I've experimented with a variety of such as "Bore Blaster" which has high volume CO2 propulsing the alcohol mix & whatever else is in there, when I don't have time/inclination to really tear into the project. Often in 9mm or even the 22 autos, gets a good result with minimal effort. Watch out for some finish coatings as they may not survive the ordeal.

Recently what seems to be a new Hoppes product in a pressurized can, gives good results on the few times I've used it.
Ballistol is my long term favorite, yes there's newer & maybe better but I like it a lot.
I've got a random box full of 20+ year old magic miracle forumlas no longer on the market. I've gotten to the point where I'm tossing the ones not effective enough.

And 'cleaner' is different to me now days, than 'lubricant'. Every once in a while I'll submerge some errant assembly in a shallow pan of :)eek:WD40:confused:) as it does have beneficial results too.
This leaves out the various bore cleaners as I have considerably less issues with lead & alloy residue the past few decades.

Breakfree (CLP) for everyday cleaning because it's fast and simple.

WD40 when I get a gun wet or have to use odd chemical mixes (especially if there is water involved) for corrosive powder. Be sure you do a good deep cleaning every now and then as the WD40 can build up and get "gunky".

Eezox for long term storage - it's great at preventing corrosion. Sort of a CLP but it gets into every little hidden spot and doesn't go away.

Aeroshell Grease #6 for slow moving parts. This is the product that came with my Geissele triggers and it gives a very smooth feel. Lube all of the controls on an AR 15 with this stuff (safety, bolt release, sear, mag release) and it will feel like a more expensive gun. And it stays on forever.

One thing to remember is to remove all cleaner from your gun when you are done cleaning. This includes multi-purpose cleaner, rust preventative and lube. Especially use only oil on the outside for blued guns. A cleaner is too harsh on the blueing over time. I don't take chances and use Hoppes oil or something similar to keep my blued and plated guns rust free. Why leave a cleaner on your gun?

I have also been experimenting with Slip 2000 oil and grease. The grease solved my AMT Hardballer galling and assorted FTF and FTE problems. It is synthetic, but safe. It makes a great hand cream.:D

For me its a variety of cleaning products....

Hot water and soap...
Hoppe's #9 , lubricating oil , and Black Powder Solvent ...
CLP , both oil and spray...
A old can of GI Bore Cleaner that "followed me home" from my Army days....:D
If the bore is rough ...a Little bit of KROIL
If the bore has a lot of Cooper fouling...a Little bit of ammonia...Be sure to clean and dry the bore afterwards...
Andy

I rub them down with a paper towel and re lube with bearing grease. Unless they're old and/or shot corrosive ammo. Then it's Windex time

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top