JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This story is from May. Sorry if it's already been posted. I didn't see it if it was.

Thursday, 03 May 2012 13:49

Gun carrying man ends stabbing spree at Salt Lake grocery store

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) - A citizen with a gun stopped a knife wielding man as he began stabbing people Thursday evening at the downtown Salt Lake City Smith's store.

Police say the suspect purchased a knife inside the store and then turned it into a weapon. Smith's employee Dorothy Espinoza says, "He pulled it out and stood outside the Smiths in the foyer. And just started stabbing people and yelling you killed my people. You killed my people."

Espinoza says, the knife wielding man seriously injured two people. "There is blood all over. One got stabbed in the stomach and got stabbed in the head and held his hands and got stabbed all over the arms."

Then, before the suspect could find another victim - a citizen with a gun stopped the madness. "A guy pulled gun on him and told him to drop his weapon or he would shoot him. So, he dropped his weapon and the people from Smith's grabbed him."

By the time officers arrived the suspect had been subdued by employees and shoppers. Police had high praise for gun carrying man who ended the hysteria. Lt. Brian Purvis said, "This was a volatile situation that could have gotten worse. We can only assume from what we saw it could have gotten worse. He was definitely in the right place at the right time."

Dozens of other shoppers, who too could have become victims, are also thankful for the gun carrying man. And many, like Danylle Julian, are still in shock from the experience. "Scary actually. Really scary. Five minutes before I walk out to my car. It could have been me."

Police say right now they have no idea what caused the suspect to go on the dangerous rampage.

So far, police have not released the names of the suspect, the victims or the man who pulled the gun.

Read more at: <broken link removed>

It amazes me that after countless stories like this, there are still people that think firearms should be banned.

They think they're just isolated instances, not frequent enough to justify the hundreds of thousands of illegal uses of guns in the US every year.

Fact of the matter is, they are, of course "isolated" instances, and they don't even begin to add up to the number of illegal uses of guns in the US every year. The problem with using this fact as a rational, of course, is that you can't stop the illegal uses- just the legal ones.

They think they're just isolated instances, not frequent enough to justify the hundreds of thousands of illegal uses of guns in the US every year.

Fact of the matter is, they are, of course "isolated" instances, and they don't even begin to add up to the number of illegal uses of guns in the US every year. The problem with using this fact as a rational, of course, is that you can't stop the illegal uses- just the legal ones.

No... no... no...

The number of ILLEGAL uses don't begin to add up to the number of LEGAL SELF-DEFENSE uses of privately owned guns:

Gun Self Defense Counter Web Widget

" for every criminal homicide with a firearm there were more than two lives saved by a defensive gun use."

Blood Dancing (and Lies) at PolicyMic.com | The Truth About GunsThe Truth About Guns

That's data from the CDC and the Clinton Administrations Justice Department. As well as additional independent studies done, and then the numbers rounded DOWN.

It's very telling that the states with the least gun laws are the states that have the lowest crime rates, and the ones with the most gun restrictions are the ones with the highest crime rates.

Switzerland REQUIRES it's citizens to keep guns and they're murder rate is near zero.

It amazes me that after countless stories like this, there are still people that think firearms should be banned.

In over forty years of concealed carry only once did I consider using my side arm. A drug induced man with a knife speaking in tongues was going to stab me with a big shinny knife. My spouse stepped forward and interrupted the indecent. A female companion of the perpetrator noticed besides me, attached to my wife was a hands on S&W tied to her belt. Now not so concealed! His girl friend became so concerned at this time she gave him a big hug and pulled him back shouting she has a gun. Had he taken one step toward my wife I would have shot his liver out, five times.

That's the stupidest thing I've seen in at least 2 weeks. Do you have any idea what much crime is committed with guns in this country?

The big problem I have is that we have one study, in 1995. That study, while conducted in a manner that some renowned people have declared is "good", is one study that makes *MANY* statistical assumptions. (They admit in their own study "...results pertaining to the details of DGU incidents are based on 213 or fewer sample cases, and readers should treat these results with appropriate caution." Plus, they "...over sampled in the south and west regions, where previous surveys have indicated gun ownership is higher.[45] We also over sampled within contacted households for males, who are more likely to own guns and to be victims of crimes in which victims might use guns defensively.[46] Data were later weighted to adjust for over sampling."

Weighting to adjust for over sampling is an imprecise science. While it may give them a higher number of individual defensive gun use incidents to interview, it *DOES* skew the overall statistics. They do not note HOW they adjusted it later. (I would argue that this 'over sampling' should have been a *separate* survey. They combined both a raw "how many defensive gun uses per year are there" with a "what are the details of individual defensive gun uses" survey. They should have been separate.)

Yes, defensive gun use happens. Yes, when it happens it is generally good as it generally saves someone from being a victim. But I *SINCERELY* doubt it happens as often as this counter suggests. Finally, how many instances were there of *IMPROPER* defensive gun use that were never reported to police, but that respondents considered defensive? (Improperly brandishing, for example.)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top