JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a beautiful Browning Hi Power on GB. It was accurately described and the exterior was 95/98 percent. So far I'm happy. Tear down revealed that the gun was filthy and that it had the snot shot out of it. If I had asked to see the magazines, I would have seen that one magazine had seen enough use to wear the paint off and shine the steel. Lesson learned, ask to see the magazines. I'm still happy with the purchase as the price was right.

A dirty gun offered for sale , may not be a deal breaker for me...but it will cause me to take longer look at the gun.
Dirt and shooting debris can cover up wear and abuse.
( one can argue that lack of cleaning is abuse...:D )
Granted this can't be done with a online sale....

As a side note: A oily bore can make the bore appear in better condition....So be sure to really check out the "clean" guns as well.
Andy

The best deal I ever got on a rifle was one so dirty it would not function. Paid 25% of its value because it was "inoperable" (when it was really just filthy) and got to spend some really enjoyable time bringing it back to the gem it was.

Would be more concerned about the condition of the gun than the magazine. Rifling still strong? Crown good? Then its fine in my book if those conditions are met. As a general rule that is, some exceptions.

( one can argue that lack of cleaning is abuse...:D )
Who cleans their guns? Outside of a few thousand rounds interval that is. o_O:rolleyes:

appreciate the 'tip'......have to add here a 'gun SELLING tip'.....

years ago had a nearly new low round count Colt revolver of a somewhat rare-ish configuration. On line sale via FFLs of course.

Purchaser was happy with price/condition/etc. 3 months later emails a wah wah based on his bore-camera investigation of some minute finding in the rifling.

He had shot it with pleasing results, and had given a most professional and very deep cleaning to go into his 'special collection'. Beseeched me to take it back for less than he paid.

Finally agreed to his negotiations, based on inspection by my local FFL/'smith and determined it was 'better than new' in all observable ways. I kept if for a couple years and sold it for considerably more.

Never have had much trouble with those affected with a meticulous personality before or since.

Many moons ago I attended an Estate Sale Auction. While Dirt can be a major sign of a well worn Firearm in the case of my first Smith and Wesson, 6-1/2" Barreled, pre Model 29, it was more Sock Drawer lint than anything else. There were two Guns and close examination showed the longer Barreled gun to have been Drilled and Tapped, not a good thing. The prior owner had mounted a rifle scope and kept that one Cleaner. While it brought more money it had also more Issues. Lint can be your Friend!

I carried the 6-1/2" as a Duty Weapon:):):) and a Friend for several years. The 8-3/8" gun passed through a number of hands and through my shop once or twice before the Smith and Wesson folks took it out of service.

And, of course, if my purchase had been online I wouldn't have been able to "see" just how nice the 6-1/2" was. It's still with me and I'm hoping to be buried with it!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top