JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Won a bid on a Yugo M48. During check out Gunbroker is charging $50.00 tax? Not sure if that's coming from the seller or if its based on my WA address.

Question is.. Will I have to pay tax to the sellers state and WA? If the seller isnt charging sales tax and I already paid gunbroker tax automatically. Will my FFL still have to collect?

Last Edited:
Likely your Washington location. I'm in Oregon, so no sales tax. However, for some time now, when I sell on GB, they often tack on state sales tax based upon the buyer's location. The buyer pays it in the final price of the auction, GB collects it later from the seller.

Likely your Washington location. I'm in Oregon, so no sales tax. However, for some time now, when I sell on GB, they often tack on state sales tax based upon the buyer's location. The buyer pays it in the final price of the auction, GB collects it later from the seller.

Thanks for the reply. That is going to throw a major wrench in my WA FFL process. Usually he collects it himself on the paperwork and reports it. Hes old school. Gahhh.. Not sure why Gunbroker is getting involved with collecting tax as a middleman. Just creates another pain for the transfer process. Maybe its a non issue.

I bought a pistol last time and he looked at the paperwork and calculated tax himself.

Will - Just google: "wayfair decision" and "marketplace facilitator" for the whole story. Short version: you now have WA sales tax of approx. 10% automatically added to any gunbroker purchase (or auction win). Doesn't matter if seller is a business or private individual. Purchased product is new or previously owned. Firearm or non-firearm. Doesn't matter, you pay. Just like with ebay, midwayusa, amazon, you name it. Definitely takes some of the fun out of it.

Thanks for the reply. That is going to throw a major wrench in my WA FFL process. Usually he collects it himself on the paperwork and reports it. Hes old school. Gahhh.. Not sure why Gunbroker is getting involved with collecting tax as a middleman. Just creates another pain for the transfer process. Maybe its a non issue.

I bought a pistol last time and he looked at the paperwork and calculated tax himself.
As stated above, it's the Wayfair Decision and has finally filtered down to some of the lesser "facilitators" like GB. When I sell on GB, the invoice includes sales tax, if applicable. Which the buyer pays to me, and in turn, GB invoices to me and I must remit back to them.

KEEP ALL YOUR GUNBROKER INVOICES. These provide proof that tax has been pre-paid. Since you now pay the tax indirectly through GB, you no longer should be paying your retail FFL dealer. Your dealer should become, if he isn't already, aware of this through experience with multiple customers.

The requirement to collect state sales tax for some states introduces another little headache for sellers. Having to do with non-paying bidders. The process for recovering your GB fee resulting from a defaulting buyer is tedious to begin with. I've always gone to the trouble and went for recovery, even if the amount was something like $2.75. But now you have to think about any sales taxes that you are going to get dunned for by GB. For example, you sell one lot of bullets that goes for $200, a state that collects sales tax of 10%, you're out $20. To get it back, you must go through the GB fee credit process.

The requirement by Washington to pay this tax was always there. Compliance was passive. Not many buyers will step forward voluntarily and pay a tax that they can ignore without consequences. Now there is a legal mechanism to force compliance.

Last Edited:
These are probably the good ol days you'll talk about in 30 years. Taxes only go up

download (14).jpeg

Your FFL will look at the GB paperwork and see taxes were already collected. It should be a non issue unless your FFL tries to make it an issue.

Ebay is doing it in some cases also. Not sure how they handle it on the seller end but it was added to the payment I made at time of purchase.
It will no doubt effect sales .

Last Edited:
And government programs and bureaucracies very rarely (if ever) accomplish their intended purpose, and they seem never to go away.
Yep. Prohibition ended in 1933 and we still have the Oregon Liquor Control Commission (OLCC). Not sure what they do except tack $5 onto every fifth of booze.

Gunbroker btw, is one of the most poorly designed websites with the worst customer service of all time. I have succeed in selling things on Gunbroker in spite of Gunbroker, not because of Gunbroker.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top