Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Gun ban in time for Folklife Festival?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Sun195, May 3, 2009.

1. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

Original article here:

2. Sun195

These two parts caught my eye:

How do they intend to do this?

This from a City that's looking at significant budget cuts. What would be a better investment? Spending money on a lawsuit (that they'll probably lose) or spending money to put more cops on the street (either new positions or through overtime)?

3. twoclones

twoclones Tri-Cities, WA Well-Known Member

Mayor Nickels is a prime example of criminals ignoring the law.

4. fingolfen

fingolfen Oregon Member

Logic don't enter into it... they've got a "cause"...

5. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

If you make the parks a gun free zone, than all the bad guys will know that and take advantage of the unarmed park lovers......Instead of gun free zone signs, why not signs that say, unarmed citizens, criminals welcome...... :laugh:

6. RainbowBob

RainbowBob North Seattle Member

This quote REALLY got in my head:

The politicians actually think it's THEIR property to with as they like. They also think they have the right to waste our tax money in the middle of a budget deficit to defend agaisnt a law suit they can't win - all for the purpose of making political hay with liberal voters.

Their hubris arrogance are seemingly limitless!

7. techieguy

techieguy Well-Known Member

I'm confused... How do the politicians own the property? Didn't the taxpayer pay for that city park... and the blood sucking ticks think they own it!

8. wakejoe

wakejoe Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

So we all get Washingon CPL's (Is that what they're called?) and Conceal Carry during the festival. Put them in bulky holsters and print like a newspaper.

May as well make them earn their paychecks... :)

9. Mutoman

Mutoman North Bend Active Member

Sounds like an overreaction waiting to happen; I cannot imagine security personnel not getting excited while dealing with an individual with a gun.

Politicians seem to overlook the possibility of causing harm by not allowing citizens to defend themselves. One life saved may be ten lives lost.

10. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Northwest Folklife Festival

Now this sounds like a great time! A modern, big city version of the Oregon 'Country Fair' I presume?

11. Sun195

Win or lose, they still win on this one. Either they win and set case law in favor of their regulations or they lose and "they fought the good fight" in the eyes of their constituents.

Bingo - but with street gangs & 35% less patchouli oil :laugh:

12. rdb241

rdb241 Puyallup Washington Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Yah...it is like a big urban fair but to compare it to your's or any county fair? There is many more nut cases, freaks and oddities there. They all want to hug like a bunch of flower children. But if you can put up with the sights. There is some real good music and some really good food! :thumbup:

13. Intervention

Intervention NW Member

I thought it was already against the law to carry at outdoor music festivals in Washington. :confused:

RCW 70.108.150
    Firearms -- Penalty.

It shall be unlawful for any person, except law enforcement officers, to carry, transport or convey, or to have in his possession or under his control any firearm while on the site of an outdoor music festival.

Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars and not more than two hundred dollars or by imprisonment in the county jail for not less than ten days and not more than ninety days or by both such fine and imprisonment.

14. beararms5000

beararms5000 Seattle Member

That's a good point on RCW 70.108.150; how come that hasn't been referenced before in relation to the Folk Life shooting and subsequent anti-gun talk? Does Folk Life not count under RCW 70.108.150? What about bumbershoot for that matter?

And has there been word on how they're going to try to enforce this anyway? Are we gearing up for airport-style "take off your shoes and belt and walk through the metal detector" nonsense or is this all just talk?

15. Sun195

Under RCW 70.108.020, "Outdoor Music Festival" is defined as such:

I guess that one could argue Folklife has a lot of different activities besides music. In addition, many of the Folklife venues are indoors. Bumbershoot might fall within this definition better.

16. Leif Runenritzer

Leif Runenritzer Kernilyis Active Member

Honest question, how would one know if this saved any lives?

Well said.

17. beararms5000

beararms5000 Seattle Member

A couple other items don't line up for Folk Life or Bumbershoot to be "Outdoor Music Festivals" under that definition. Both have permanently established places of assembly (isn't that all of Seattle Center?) as well as a stadium and several auditoriums. Both would also strike me as government sponsored fairs held on regularly established fairgrounds (again, sounds like Seattle Center).

What I'm now trying to figure out though, is that even if these events don't exactly qualify under the letter of the law, what's really covered by this statute? I guess something like Woodstock? Is anyone aware of court rulings on this question?

18. DeLorean

DeLorean Washington/Oregon Member

My girl and I like to go to Folklife just to make fun of the hippies. It's actually quite amusing.