JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone, I work early morning hours in the inner East-side industrial area, and after the second or third random drunk person somehow getting in and bothering us I started keeping one of my pistols at work with me. Now, I just assumed this is legal because I work here, and it seems like that would be the case but I'm not sure. My bosses are fine with it, but they don't know either. I am within the law on this one, right? Like most bars have a shotgun somewhere, I feel better with my pistol within arms reach here in the early AM.

That's exactly right, they're fine with me carrying but none of them are Oregonians or gun types, so they don't know the laws.

I took the time to find it though:

Note 2: The amendments to 166.250 by section 11a, chapter 826, Oregon Laws 2009, become operative January 2, 2012. See section 14, chapter 826, Oregon Laws 2009, as amended by section 23, chapter 826, Oregon Laws 2009. The text that is operative on and after January 2, 2012, is set forth for the user’s convenience.
166.250. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260, 166.270, 166.274, 166.291, 166.292 or 166.410 to 166.470, a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly:
(a) Carries any firearm concealed upon the person;
(b) Possesses a handgun that is concealed and readily accessible to the person within any vehicle; or
(c) Possesses a firearm and:
(A) Is under 18 years of age;
(B)(i) While a minor, was found to be within the jurisdiction of the juvenile court for having committed an act which, if committed by an adult, would constitute a felony or a misdemeanor involving violence, as defined in ORS 166.470; and
(ii) Was discharged from the jurisdiction of the juvenile court within four years prior to being charged under this section;
(C) Has been convicted of a felony;
(D) Was committed to the Oregon Health Authority under ORS 426.130;
(E) Was found to be mentally ill and subject to an order under ORS 426.130 that the person be prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm as a result of that mental illness; or
(F) Has been found guilty except for insanity under ORS 161.295 of a felony.
(2) This section does not prohibit:
(a) A minor, who is not otherwise prohibited under subsection (1)(c) of this section, from possessing a firearm:
(A) Other than a handgun, if the firearm was transferred to the minor by the minor’s parent or guardian or by another person with the consent of the minor’s parent or guardian; or
(B) Temporarily for hunting, target practice or any other lawful purpose; or
(b) Any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides in or is temporarily sojourning within this state, and who is not within the excepted classes prescribed by ORS 166.270 and subsection (1) of this section, from owning, possessing or keeping within the person’s place of residence or place of business any handgun, and no permit or license to purchase, own, possess or keep any such firearm at the person’s place of residence or place of business is required of any such citizen. As used in this subsection, “residence” includes a recreational vessel or recreational vehicle while used, for whatever period of time, as residential quarters.
(3) Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section.
(4)(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, a handgun is readily accessible within the meaning of this section if the handgun is within the passenger compartment of the vehicle.
(b) If a vehicle has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:
(A) The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and
(B) The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unlocks with a key.
(5) Unlawful possession of a firearm is a Class A misdemeanor.

Thanks for all your help though!

That's exactly right, they're fine with me carrying but none of them are Oregonians or gun types, so they don't know the laws.

I took the time to find it though:

Thanks for all your help though!

it's not YOUR place of business. The owners can carry but the employees have to have permission and a CC license.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
ACSWW member

Hey, this guy has permission of the owners, he looked up the law and it is clear that he is OK to have a gun there. So why is everyone telling him to get a CC and/or "you are not the OWNER of the business" ... ?

What a bunch of crap. If you are employed by the owner, and you have his permission to have a gun -- GO FOR IT!

Hey, this guy has permission of the owners, he looked up the law and it is clear that he is OK to have a gun there. So why is everyone telling him to get a CC and/or "you are not the OWNER of the business" ... ?

What a bunch of crap. If you are employed by the owner, and you have his permission to have a gun -- GO FOR IT!

Yeah, but with a CHL he can carry on his way to/from work too. Definitely worth the $ imo.

Why would anyone not want to have a concealed handgun license/permit? :confused:

1) Because you are then on "the list" (of people who are likely to own guns).
2) Because you have to pay $$$ for something that you might believe is your right.
3) Because you get fingerprinted (a form of search without a warrant).
4) Because "the list" might be made public (e.g. to newspapers)

etc......

You are worried about fingerprints? Watch out when renewing your drivers license. I just did that last week. For the picture, I was asked to remove my glasses. I thought that was wierd since I always wear them. Then they told me why. The new camera/computer at DMV is doing facial recognition. Yep, just like a fingerprint, but can you can be ID'd from any picture. With all the video cameras around today you can't hide. Welcome big brother.

At least when I renewed my CHL later in the week at the Washington county Sheriffs office they let me keep my glasses on. I asked, and no, they are not taking facial recognition pictures. At least not yet anyway.

You are worried about fingerprints? Watch out when renewing your drivers license. I just did that last week. For the picture, I was asked to remove my glasses. I thought that was wierd since I always wear them. Then they told me why. The new camera/computer at DMV is doing facial recognition. Yep, just like a fingerprint, but can you can be ID'd from any picture. With all the video cameras around today you can't hide. Welcome big brother.

At least when I renewed my CHL later in the week at the Washington county Sheriffs office they let me keep my glasses on. I asked, and no, they are not taking facial recognition pictures. At least not yet anyway.

Aha, now we all know how to foil their facial recognition software! Wear glasses and you will be INVISIBLE! Also, pic related.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top