Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

gun at work

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by FriendOfEvanWilliams, Oct 16, 2010.

1. FriendOfEvanWilliams

FriendOfEvanWilliams Juneau, Alaska Member

Hey everyone, I work early morning hours in the inner East-side industrial area, and after the second or third random drunk person somehow getting in and bothering us I started keeping one of my pistols at work with me. Now, I just assumed this is legal because I work here, and it seems like that would be the case but I'm not sure. My bosses are fine with it, but they don't know either. I am within the law on this one, right? Like most bars have a shotgun somewhere, I feel better with my pistol within arms reach here in the early AM.

2. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Tigard Oregon Well-Known Member

Private property with the owners permission should be OK. To be extra safe, I recommend you secure a CHL if you do not have one.

3. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

if the owners are ok with it, then you are fine. Private property is the owners rules, not the states. No CHL needed.

4. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

your bosses be "fine with it" if they don't know?

If you haven't asked then there is no way of knowing if you'll be fired or not is there?

Deen
    NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
    WAC member
    ACSWW member

5. deen_ad

give the cite that says this. State law DOES apply on private property.

Deen
    NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
    WAC member
    ACSWW member

6. LCspeedsteel

LCspeedsteel hillsboro Member

he means they are fine with him carrying... but they don't know the state laws concerning it either

7. FriendOfEvanWilliams

FriendOfEvanWilliams Juneau, Alaska Member

That's exactly right, they're fine with me carrying but none of them are Oregonians or gun types, so they don't know the laws.

I took the time to find it though:

Thanks for all your help though!

8. deen_ad

it's not YOUR place of business. The owners can carry but the employees have to have permission and a CC license.

Deen
    NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
    WAC member
    ACSWW member

9. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

Just get a concealed carry permit and then you don't have to worry about if it is legal or not. :)

10. pchewn

pchewn Beaverton Oregon USA Well-Known Member

Hey, this guy has permission of the owners, he looked up the law and it is clear that he is OK to have a gun there. So why is everyone telling him to get a CC and/or "you are not the OWNER of the business" ... ?

What a bunch of crap. If you are employed by the owner, and you have his permission to have a gun -- GO FOR IT!

11. spengo

Yeah, but with a CHL he can carry on his way to/from work too. Definitely worth the $ imo.

12. Hawaiian

Why would anyone not want to have a concealed handgun license/permit? :confused:

13. pchewn

pchewn Beaverton Oregon USA Well-Known Member

1) Because you are then on "the list" (of people who are likely to own guns).
    2) Because you have to pay $$$ for something that you might believe is your right.
    3) Because you get fingerprinted (a form of search without a warrant).
    4) Because "the list" might be made public (e.g. to newspapers)

etc......

14. Hawaiian

You are worried about fingerprints? Watch out when renewing your drivers license. I just did that last week. For the picture, I was asked to remove my glasses. I thought that was wierd since I always wear them. Then they told me why. The new camera/computer at DMV is doing facial recognition. Yep, just like a fingerprint, but can you can be ID'd from any picture. With all the video cameras around today you can't hide. Welcome big brother.

At least when I renewed my CHL later in the week at the Washington county Sheriffs office they let me keep my glasses on. I asked, and no, they are not taking facial recognition pictures. At least not yet anyway.

15. spengo

Aha, now we all know how to foil their facial recognition software! Wear glasses and you will be INVISIBLE! Also, pic related.
    fuzzyglasses.jpg