JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I thought I would let everyone know how impressed I am with the gun trust that Sporting Systems in Vancouver has. If any of you don't have a trust set up I highly suggest that you take the time to check them out.

The Trust is $200 dollars and you go home with everything that you need. Everything is laid out very clean in a three ring binder. As the Trust trustee you are the only one to get finger printed for any NFA item that is put into the trust. You don't have to go through all the hassle's to get everyone printed.

You can add or remove any gun from the trust at any time on your own. Helps you track your pistols, long guns, ammo and NFA items. This is by far the best Trust that I found for the money. I love the fact that they are a local company and not a big chain store or corporation. They care about you and your experience and the staff is hands down the most friendly I have come across.

If you guys have any questions let me know I will do my best to answer them. I know that @etrain16 is going to get his trust set up there very soon as well.

So, only the named Trustee ever submits BGC and 4473?
When a new gun is added, does the Trustee do another BGC/4473 each time?

Nope you do the BGC like you normally would take your pistol or long gun home and you put the firearm into the trust. If you sell it then you do the transfer like normal and then just note it in the trust that it sold and on what day.

Sporting Systems is my favorite shop in Vancouver to transfer to WA residents. They're dog friendly, and it's like Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory of premium guns.

I'll be getting mine set up with Sporting Systems very soon - got to do it before I officially purchase the Sparrow. So glad to finally get one going. Really appreciate all the info you've provided on this @SKrueger

I want to ask this again as a point of clarification since it's a bit confusing - see if you know the answer @SKrueger

So if I get the trust, and then buy a suppressor, I have to submit photos, prints and an ATF form for each person on the trust, correct?

But as the named trustee on the trust, I also have the ability to add and remove people at will, even temporarily, yes?

So, to save extra paperwork, and money, couldn't I just take anyone else off the trust when I file the paperwork for a new NFA item, submit only as the sole trustee, then just add them back on later? Saving time and $$ in the process?

Just thinking it through and wondering if this is allowable.

Would there be an advantage to this with non-NFA items? I'm thinking what if they ban ARs, but grandfather them to their current owners and prohibit any kind of transfers? Like, when you die it gets turned in for destruction. Seems to me that if it was in a trust, the trust would never die and the AR could be used/possessed by any trustee. Is that the kind of thing we're talking about? I'd go for it in a split second if that's the case.

I want to ask this again as a point of clarification since it's a bit confusing - see if you know the answer @SKrueger

So if I get the trust, and then buy a suppressor, I have to submit photos, prints and an ATF form for each person on the trust, correct?

But as the named trustee on the trust, I also have the ability to add and remove people at will, even temporarily, yes?

So, to save extra paperwork, and money, couldn't I just take anyone else off the trust when I file the paperwork for a new NFA item, submit only as the sole trustee, then just add them back on later? Saving time and $$ in the process?

Just thinking it through and wondering if this is allowable.

No you are the only one that gets finger printed and photo graphed for a NFA item. It doesn't matter who is in your trust. All laws have to be followed so if you were to say let me use your suppressor then you would have to put me into your trust. There is paper work in the binder that I got to fill out and sign for both parties involved to do something like that.

Would there be an advantage to this with non-NFA items? I'm thinking what if they ban ARs, but grandfather them to their current owners and prohibit any kind of transfers? Like, when you die it gets turned in for destruction. Seems to me that if it was in a trust, the trust would never die and the AR could be used/possessed by any trustee. Is that the kind of thing we're talking about? I'd go for it in a split second if that's the case.

Yes! If Washington ban's AR's I can put my daughter who lives in AZ on the trust and leave all my AR's with her since they are leagal in AZ. That is the short version Zig;)

Yes! If Washington ban's AR's I can put my daughter who lives in AZ on the trust and leave all my AR's with her since they are leagal in AZ. That is the short version Zig;)
What if two people on the trust are in the same state? If the trust is the legal owner it seems to me that a surviving trust member would simply "inherit" the ARs.

What if two people on the trust are in the same state? If the trust is the legal owner it seems to me that a surviving trust member would simply "inherit" the ARs.

Yes that is true. In my case my wife is the first in line then my daughter and so on. But if Washington makes AR's illegal then I can fill out a addendum and drive them to Arizona in my daughters care and still be legal. The beauty of this all is I can do it myself I don't need to go in and have an attorney do these things for me.

If it is just you and one other person and you both live in Oregon then you can appoint someone who lives in Washington to be a holder of certain items if they become illegal in Oregon. With out changing who would inherit your guns if something god for bid happened to you.

Hope that makes sense.

Yes that is true. In my case my wife is the first in line then my daughter and so on. But if Washington makes AR's illegal then I can fill out a addendum and drive them to Arizona in my daughters care and still be legal. The beauty of this all is I can do it myself I don't need to go in and have an attorney do these things for me.

If it is just you and one other person and you both live in Oregon then you can appoint someone who lives in Washington to be a holder of certain items if they become illegal in Oregon. With out changing who would inherit your guns if something god for bid happened to you.

Hope that makes sense.
I was looking at a specific scenario. Manufacture, import and transfers of ARs are illegal. ARs are not illegal to own in Oregon if you possessed one already when the ban took effect. They cannot be transferred to anyone, ever. And when you die they are surrendered to the government. This is a VERY likely scenario that I have seen suggested from credible sources. It would seem that if the trust was the owner in this scenario, since it would never die, the guns would remain in the trust, even if one of the trust members dies. Correct?

I was looking at a specific scenario. Manufacture, import and transfers of ARs are illegal. ARs are not illegal to own in Oregon if you possessed one already when the ban took effect. They cannot be transferred to anyone, ever. And when you die they are surrendered to the government. This is a VERY likely scenario that I have seen suggested from credible sources. It would seem that if the trust was the owner in this scenario, since it would never die, the guns would remain in the trust, even if one of the trust members dies. Correct?

Yes!

Any way to do business with them long distance? I'm in Eugene. It's not a short drive, and would being an Oregon resident make for complications?

Any way to do business with them long distance? I'm in Eugene. It's not a short drive, and would being an Oregon resident make for complications?

Nope @etrain16 lives in Oregon and is going to use them. As for the long distance I am not sure. I would call and talk to Heidi or Dan they are the owners. I am sure that they could email you the application and you could pay for it with a credit card over the phone. As for signing the trust and getting it set up I am guessing that you would need to be face to face so Heidi can notorize everything to make it legal.

OK, I will contact them when I get a chance. Thanks for the info. I think I would put at least all of my semi-auto firearms into the trust.

I used "Gun Trust Guru" online service last night for only $99.95 and it only took me 15 minutes.
Printed it out and it's ready for my HK MP5 SBR clone form 1.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top