JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Slamming the slide forward with out a round is hard on the sear/ hammer engagement and really hard on a 1911 with a trigger job. It also is hard on the frame, slide, barrel and barrel link. When the 1911 strips a round from the magazine it slows the action down enough to prevent excessive force on those parts when the gun goes into battery.

Gun Mechanic

If you say so but I still have a hard time believing this is any harder on a gun than actually shooting it.

Slamming the slide forward with out a round is hard on the sear/ hammer engagement and really hard on a 1911 with a trigger job. It also is hard on the frame, slide, barrel and barrel link. When the 1911 strips a round from the magazine it slows the action down enough to prevent excessive force on those parts when the gun goes into battery.

However, I would opine that if this is so delicate, so finicky, so susceptible a pistol now
....and penalizes the owner for such an action (ooh ooh, I done dry fired it) , you should
never rely on your pistol as an everyday duty, self defense weapon.

You should realize that your combat proven 1911 is now such a princess that it should
be kept it out of untrained hands so that no harm comes to it. I'll leave it up to the
owner whether should slap your forehead for 'improving' this tried and true workhorse
into such a prima donna.

Probably would want a careful selection of diet, e.g. no +P either, so that the forces
generated doesn't upset the delicate internals.

Competition pistols, I can understand the fine tuning. Performing the mods and expecting
everyday stresses and rugged handling in the real world is silly.

Wow! Are you done ranting?
However, I would opine that if this is so delicate, so finicky, so susceptible a pistol now
....and penalizes the owner for such an action (ooh ooh, I done dry fired it) , you should
never rely on your pistol as an everyday duty, self defense weapon.

Who said anything about delicate, finicky, susceptible or penalizing?

You should realize that your combat proven 1911 is now such a princess that it should be kept it out of untrained hands so that no harm comes to it. I'll leave it up to the owner whether should slap your forehead for 'improving' this tried and true workhorse into such a prima donna.

My 1911 has been modified and I treat it like a work truck. I have one 1911 and it's my race gun, target gun and I trust it with my life. I have no problem letting anyone shoot it including my 11 year old daughter. What's with the slapping?

Probably would want a careful selection of diet, e.g. no +P either, so that the forces
generated doesn't upset the delicate internals.

Almost ANY gun shouldn't have +P's shot through it on a regular basis but yes, I've shot +P's through my 1911 without fail and without the worry of damaging my gun.

Competition pistols, I can understand the fine tuning. Performing the mods and expecting
everyday stresses and rugged handling in the real world is silly.

As stated above, my 1911 is my competition (race) gun and it gets everyday stresses and handling in the real world too.

nah, i typed that with a smile and tongue in cheek. it wasn't a rant at all.
reading it, however, it sounds much more personal. for that, i apologize. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top