JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was never much of a gum chewer. Once the initial burst of flavor was over, I wanted it gone. So it never developed into a habit.

Don't know about now, but when I was in the army decades ago, those in higher positions than myself had decided there were certain little civilian habits that were unsoldierly. One was chewing gum. It fell into the same category as having your hands in your pockets or leaving your pocket flaps unbuttoned. You didn't do it. Gum chewing wasn't a problem for me, I didn't do it anyway.

Fast forward to a number of years later. After I got home from my three years in the regular army, after a while I joined the Army National Guard. I was in for six years, on single year enlistments because at that time, they had the "Try One" program for prior service people. Then I got out for several years, and later rejoined the Guard on a three year enlistment. I reported for duty at my new unit on my first drill. The only person I knew in the outfit was the captain who had conned me into rejoining. So I was standing in ranks before morning formation, we hadn't yet been called to attention and were just talking to guys next to us. One guardsman offered me a stick of gum as a friendly gesture. I figured, "Why not take it as a new member trying to fit in." I stuck the gum in my mouth and started chewing. Directly, the platoon sergeant came along and called the formation to attention. I tried to move my mouth as little as possible with the gum thing. First words out of the platoon sergeant's mouth, "I've noticed some of you have been chewing gum. I don't want to see any more of this." Etc. etc. Looking right at me during the lecture. What a way to start off in a new outfit. And I wasn't even a gum chewer.

On any given hot summer day I sometimes feel like I have a wad of chewed bubblegum stuck to my leg.

i chewed gum to quit nicotine. regular gum, not nicotine gum. for me its cold turkey or nothin. only withdrawls i had was having trouble focusing at work for the first 3 days. now i dont chew gum that much anymore.

I was never much of a gum chewer. Once the initial burst of flavor was over, I wanted it gone. So it never developed into a habit.

Don't know about now, but when I was in the army decades ago, those in higher positions than myself had decided there were certain little civilian habits that were unsoldierly. One was chewing gum. It fell into the same category as having your hands in your pockets or leaving your pocket flaps unbuttoned. You didn't do it. Gum chewing wasn't a problem for me, I didn't do it anyway.

Fast forward to a number of years later. After I got home from my three years in the regular army, after a while I joined the Army National Guard. I was in for six years, on single year enlistments because at that time, they had the "Try One" program for prior service people. Then I got out for several years, and later rejoined the Guard on a three year enlistment. I reported for duty at my new unit on my first drill. The only person I knew in the outfit was the captain who had conned me into rejoining. So I was standing in ranks before morning formation, we hadn't yet been called to attention and were just talking to guys next to us. One guardsman offered me a stick of gum as a friendly gesture. I figured, "Why not take it as a new member trying to fit in." I stuck the gum in my mouth and started chewing. Directly, the platoon sergeant came along and called the formation to attention. I tried to move my mouth as little as possible with the gum thing. First words out of the platoon sergeant's mouth, "I've noticed some of you have been chewing gum. I don't want to see any more of this." Etc. etc. Looking right at me during the lecture. What a way to start off in a new outfit. And I wasn't even a gum chewer.
Can we say...Set up?:s0112:

In my opinion chewing gum and now that I am older, dipping while engaging in conversation with another person is disrespectful. But I am weird because I take my hat off indoors, I remove my hat when introduced to a lady, I stand when introduced to anybody.

I have also noticed that young people of both sexes who are firefighters with their hands in their pockets while in uniform, and being photographed that way too. Police officers not so much because that is drilled into you hard in training.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top