Sporting Systems
Gun Deals
J&B Firearm Sales
Advertise on Northwest Firearms
Buster Beaver Cerakote
Oregon Arms & Ammunition
Defensive Arts
Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Gum chewing

gmerkt

Reactions
I was never much of a gum chewer. Once the initial burst of flavor was over, I wanted it gone. So it never developed into a habit.

Don't know about now, but when I was in the army decades ago, those in higher positions than myself had decided there were certain little civilian habits that were unsoldierly. One was chewing gum. It fell into the same category as having your hands in your pockets or leaving your pocket flaps unbuttoned. You didn't do it. Gum chewing wasn't a problem for me, I didn't do it anyway.

Fast forward to a number of years later. After I got home from my three years in the regular army, after a while I joined the Army National Guard. I was in for six years, on single year enlistments because at that time, they had the "Try One" program for prior service people. Then I got out for several years, and later rejoined the Guard on a three year enlistment. I reported for duty at my new unit on my first drill. The only person I knew in the outfit was the captain who had conned me into rejoining. So I was standing in ranks before morning formation, we hadn't yet been called to attention and were just talking to guys next to us. One guardsman offered me a stick of gum as a friendly gesture. I figured, "Why not take it as a new member trying to fit in." I stuck the gum in my mouth and started chewing. Directly, the platoon sergeant came along and called the formation to attention. I tried to move my mouth as little as possible with the gum thing. First words out of the platoon sergeant's mouth, "I've noticed some of you have been chewing gum. I don't want to see any more of this." Etc. etc. Looking right at me during the lecture. What a way to start off in a new outfit. And I wasn't even a gum chewer.

v0lcom13sn0w

Reactions
i chewed gum to quit nicotine. regular gum, not nicotine gum. for me its cold turkey or nothin. only withdrawls i had was having trouble focusing at work for the first 3 days. now i dont chew gum that much anymore.

GWS

Reactions
  • Howdy Y'all
  • Woke Up Like This
I was never much of a gum chewer. Once the initial burst of flavor was over, I wanted it gone. So it never developed into a habit.

Don't know about now, but when I was in the army decades ago, those in higher positions than myself had decided there were certain little civilian habits that were unsoldierly. One was chewing gum. It fell into the same category as having your hands in your pockets or leaving your pocket flaps unbuttoned. You didn't do it. Gum chewing wasn't a problem for me, I didn't do it anyway.

Fast forward to a number of years later. After I got home from my three years in the regular army, after a while I joined the Army National Guard. I was in for six years, on single year enlistments because at that time, they had the "Try One" program for prior service people. Then I got out for several years, and later rejoined the Guard on a three year enlistment. I reported for duty at my new unit on my first drill. The only person I knew in the outfit was the captain who had conned me into rejoining. So I was standing in ranks before morning formation, we hadn't yet been called to attention and were just talking to guys next to us. One guardsman offered me a stick of gum as a friendly gesture. I figured, "Why not take it as a new member trying to fit in." I stuck the gum in my mouth and started chewing. Directly, the platoon sergeant came along and called the formation to attention. I tried to move my mouth as little as possible with the gum thing. First words out of the platoon sergeant's mouth, "I've noticed some of you have been chewing gum. I don't want to see any more of this." Etc. etc. Looking right at me during the lecture. What a way to start off in a new outfit. And I wasn't even a gum chewer.
Can we say...Set up?:s0112:

Reactions
In my opinion chewing gum and now that I am older, dipping while engaging in conversation with another person is disrespectful. But I am weird because I take my hat off indoors, I remove my hat when introduced to a lady, I stand when introduced to anybody.

I have also noticed that young people of both sexes who are firefighters with their hands in their pockets while in uniform, and being photographed that way too. Police officers not so much because that is drilled into you hard in training.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Wolf Creek Rd Public Shooting Lanes Cleanup!
North Fork Wolf Creek Rd public shooting lanes
N Fork Wolf Creek Rd, Oregon 97144, USA
ARPC Speed Steel
ARPC (Albany Rifle & Pistol Club)
29999 Saddle Butte Rd, Shedd, OR 97377, USA
NRA Pistol marksmanship Simulator Training
Defensive Arts Center
4620 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy C2, Portland, OR 97221, USA
.22 Rimfire Challenge
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun - Pistol April 4th
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA

LATEST REVIEWS

• Gun & Boot & Gear - Astoria
    5.00 star(s)
    Good bunch of guys! Always treated me well, and in some cases better then expected. Highly recommend swinging by and talking with Andrew about any...
    • jblake00
  • Supporting Vendor Oregon Rifleworks
    5.00 star(s)
    Seen it from the highway a few times, so made the effort to go in yesterday lunchtime- What an awesome store ! Big, bight, well laid out, with a...
    • asiparks
  • Centerfire Gunworks
    1.00 star(s)
    This shop is an extortion racket. It’s the only one in town and charges like a monopoly. He can’t fulfill commitments and he won’t provide estimates.
    • Emm
  • Supporting Vendor Oregon Rifleworks
    5.00 star(s)
    I'd be a lot happier if they were closer to the Couve but they are definitely worth the drive Friendly staff and very competitive prices on ammo...
    • GWS
  • Tri-County Gun Club
    5.00 star(s)
    Tricounty Gun Club is an excellent place to practice, train, and compete with multiple shooting disciplines. Members have card key access to...
    • Whisky Tahoe

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS

Staff online