JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I hated Guiness until I went to Dublin on a business trip and had it there. I would swear it is not the same beer! I think it must be the water.

When I worked for Intel and folks from the Ireland FAB would come over here they would drink Bud. When I asked them why they said it was because the Guiness over here was horrible. I have to agree with them.

I think it has something to do with the water over there. I believe the Guiness brewery and the city of Dublin get their water from the river Liffey. When I was there I noticed that all the restaurants served bottled water and not tap. I didn't understand why until I had a drink of tap water in my hotel room. It was horrible, but apparently it makes the beer taste good! :s0114:

I hated Guiness until I went to Dublin on a business trip and had it there. I would swear it is not the same beer! I think it must be the water.

When I worked for Intel and folks from the Ireland FAB would come over here they would drink Bud. When I asked them why they said it was because the Guiness over here was horrible. I have to agree with them.

I think it has something to do with the water over there. I believe the Guiness brewery and the city of Dublin get their water from the river Liffey. When I was there I noticed that all the restaurants served bottled water and not tap. I didn't understand why until I had a drink of tap water in my hotel room. It was horrible, but apparently it makes the beer taste good! :s0114:
To start off, I ADORE Guiness. But.. I will not drink Guiness from a bottle. Only from a can or from tap. The stuff in the bottles tastes like someone washed their dirty socks in the water before attempting to turn it into beer.

That being said... you all have lead me astray. Here I am sitting in my office here at the church at which I work and I'm thinking about nothing but the perfect head on a tall chilled glass of Guiness. Sinners :s0114:

Well. The bible never specifically referrs to "beer" but here there is a destinction made between "wine" and "strong drinks":
"Hannah was speaking in her heart; only her lips moved, and her voice was not heard. Therefore Eli took her to be a drunken woman. And Eli said to her, ‘How long will you go on being drunk? Put away your wine from you.' But Hannah answered, ‘No, my lord, I am a woman troubled in spirit. I have drunk neither wine nor strong drink, but I have been pouring out my soul before the Lord.' (1 Samuel 1:13-15)"

It's also referred to here: Isaiah 24:9 "No more do they drink wine with singing; strong drink is bitter to those who drink it." Isaiah 28:7

Now the process of distilling is somewhat of a recent invention. If you look at what they had available at the time(grapes and grain) that would lend credibility to the idea that they were referring to beer. Probably not the ice cold Nitro/CO2 bubbly deliciousness we enjoy, but more like a grainy cask condition room temperature low grade IPA :D

I will not drink Guiness. (it) tastes like someone washed their dirty socks in the water before attempting to turn it into beer.

When it's phrased like this, I can agree. But that's ok, there are many I like and that saves more Guiness for you guys!:s0114:

(Gawd I hate that stuff!)

When it's phrased like this, I can agree. But that's ok, there are many I like and that saves more Guiness for you guys!:s0114:

(Gawd I hate that stuff!)

Try this... Slam the first pint. Then, start with a fresh chilled glass every pint afterwards. Every pint will get better and better... I promise! Also, when I drink Guiness, I don't eat with it. It totally ruins the flavor.:D

I'm a bit of a "hop head" myself. I really enjoy Rogue 'Brutal Bitter' and IPA. Our local brew pub, Boundry Bay in Bellingham, still makes one of the best IPA's I've ever had. But when I have a mood for stout, nothing but a Guiness will do. I don't like it chilled though. "Cellar" temperature is perfect. Watching the pint 'set up' is half the fun.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top