Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Guinness

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by tallshipsgo, Feb 17, 2010.

1. tallshipsgo

tallshipsgo Springfield OR Well-Known Member

Ah, Guinness. I'll be enjoying several this evening. I suggest anyone reading this go and do the same. :D

Sláinte mhaith!

2. Starship

Starship NE Portland Active Member

Dang, now you've done it.

A little Black&Tan sounds quite the thing....

3. tallshipsgo

Oooo...a black and tan. Fantastic idea! I'll have a B&T and a Guinness. Thanks Starship! :D

4. magnum

magnum Springfield American....'nuff said

Yep, allready had me one.:D I may not have many left soon.:(:D:D

5. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Sorry, there is no room in my Spaten Optimator mug for a guinness!

6. tallshipsgo

Sie trinken Deutsch bier! PROST! All are welcome here! :)

(I used to speak German a tad better than I do now so forgive any syntax/diction errors there!).

7. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I hated Guiness until I went to Dublin on a business trip and had it there. I would swear it is not the same beer! I think it must be the water.

When I worked for Intel and folks from the Ireland FAB would come over here they would drink Bud. When I asked them why they said it was because the Guiness over here was horrible. I have to agree with them.

I think it has something to do with the water over there. I believe the Guiness brewery and the city of Dublin get their water from the river Liffey. When I was there I noticed that all the restaurants served bottled water and not tap. I didn't understand why until I had a drink of tap water in my hotel room. It was horrible, but apparently it makes the beer taste good! :laugh:

8. Sawdust

Sawdust Bull Mountain(Tigard), OR Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

But sucking it through a strawberry licorice straw doesn't sound very manly. :p :D

9. billc

billc Albany Member

Funny! I spent 2 weeks in Dublin and drank nothing but bud. It was the only beer that was cold at the hotel pub!

10. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Must have Smithwicks...

11. ajf1

ajf1 beaverton Member

Guinness appears to be brewed to each counties taste. The taste can be quite different from county to county. I am fond of the guinness in germany.

12. pirateer2007

pirateer2007 Spokane Wa Member

To start off, I ADORE Guiness. But.. I will not drink Guiness from a bottle. Only from a can or from tap. The stuff in the bottles tastes like someone washed their dirty socks in the water before attempting to turn it into beer.

That being said... you all have lead me astray. Here I am sitting in my office here at the church at which I work and I'm thinking about nothing but the perfect head on a tall chilled glass of Guiness. Sinners :laugh:

13. MountainBear

Unless my memory fails me, wasn't there beer in the Bible? I maintain that good beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

14. tallshipsgo

I disagree! He gave us not just one but two things to remind us of that: beer and bacon. :D

15. pirateer2007

Well. The bible never specifically referrs to "beer" but here there is a destinction made between "wine" and "strong drinks":
    “Hannah was speaking in her heart; only her lips moved, and her voice was not heard. Therefore Eli took her to be a drunken woman. And Eli said to her, ‘How long will you go on being drunk? Put away your wine from you.’ But Hannah answered, ‘No, my lord, I am a woman troubled in spirit. I have drunk neither wine nor strong drink, but I have been pouring out my soul before the Lord.’ (1 Samuel 1:13-15)”

It's also referred to here: Isaiah 24:9 “No more do they drink wine with singing; strong drink is bitter to those who drink it.” Isaiah 28:7

Now the process of distilling is somewhat of a recent invention. If you look at what they had available at the time(grapes and grain) that would lend credibility to the idea that they were referring to beer. Probably not the ice cold Nitro/CO2 bubbly deliciousness we enjoy, but more like a grainy cask condition room temperature low grade IPA :D

16. MountainBear

IPA? Blahhh...

Well it's no Smithwicks, but its Friday night, so a trip to the Deschutes Brewery is definitely in order.

Mmmm, pub bitter...:beer:

17. FlyGuy

FlyGuy Portland, OR Member

18. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

When it's phrased like this, I can agree. But that's ok, there are many I like and that saves more Guiness for you guys!:laugh:

(Gawd I hate that stuff!)

19. pirateer2007

Try this... Slam the first pint. Then, start with a fresh chilled glass every pint afterwards. Every pint will get better and better... I promise! Also, when I drink Guiness, I don't eat with it. It totally ruins the flavor.:D

20. TheDogFather

TheDogFather Bellingham, WA Member

I'm a bit of a "hop head" myself. I really enjoy Rogue 'Brutal Bitter' and IPA. Our local brew pub, Boundry Bay in Bellingham, still makes one of the best IPA's I've ever had. But when I have a mood for stout, nothing but a Guiness will do. I don't like it chilled though. "Cellar" temperature is perfect. Watching the pint 'set up' is half the fun.