JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This year I have been given a special elk hunt. I have always been a do-it-yourself type of hunter. The gift getter has gone through an outfitter to get me a guided hunt. This is something that I could not afford (and even if I could my wife would probably kill me) so it will be a one time deal. There are two things that I see this costing me, and I would like to get all y'all's opinion them.

1) How much $ should I tip (a) my guide and (b) the cook?

2) How much $ should I expect to spend if I have a full head mount?

I'd budget $1000 for the taxidermy. You can usually find in anywhere from 700 - 1000 but prices are always rising. The Tanning prices are out of control anymore. As for tipping, forget etiquette, tip what you feel it's worth. If your guides take you out for the hunt of a lifetime and you pass up bulls to find a bigger, tip them great, if not I wouldn't stress out about it. Tipping has got out of control anymore, even a maid wants a tip these days...

...As for tipping, forget etiquette, tip what you feel it's worth. If your guides take you out for the hunt of a lifetime and you pass up bulls to find a bigger, tip them great, if not I wouldn't stress out about it. Tipping has got out of control anymore, even a maid wants a tip these days...

I get that. I just do not want to be cheap about it (Though I am usually very cheap). The person that gifted me this hunt, is close to me as well as the guides. I do not want to spread any bad mojo.

Wait.. what? I've never used a guide before, they get tipped on top of getting paid for their service?

It's amazing how many "professions" get tipped nowadays. My wife does hair at a high end salon where she charges a small fortune, and she still gets tipped on top of it. Needless to say, my wallets not complaining about it...:s0155:

I'd have a hard time tipping a guide and a cook myself, but if I felt like they went above and beyond to make it a great experience I'd probably tip 10% and let them split it however they want.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top