JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was given a gift card to Sports Authority. That is the reason I'm looking there for this rifle.

I've never been hunting but plan to try it with this rifle. I'm going to get a 30-06.

I need help from you experienced people out there about which rifle to go with.

Savage Axis OR Ruger American?

Axis does come with a scope.

Any thoughts would be great. Thanks NWF!

Of those two, I would take the Ruger over the Savage solely based on the reviews I've read. Other advice I would give would be to buy a higher quality used rifle. Hunting rifles in 06 and other good calibers sell in the $400 range on this website all the time. I bought a stainless Remington model 700 .30-06 for $450 about six months ago. Much better rifle than either of the two you mentioned.

I've shot a Savage Axis and it felt like there was sand in the action. Accuracy was marginal even with reloads.

Granted you have a gift card, but I would use it for something else like ammo, shoes or a coat.

Both rifles are good. I think the Ruger is a little better.(looking) But you have to figure out weather you want to spend the difference. As for the scope on the Axis, I'll bet you would be changing that after awhile for something better. The 3006 is a good Cal. for anything you would want to shoot.

Both are great, but I'd go with the Ruger. Don't let anyone talk you out of the 30-06. It's a great and versatile round that's been going strong for over a hundred years.

the included scope with the savage is servicible but borderline junk. you'll swap it out as soon as you are able. at least you can reuse the scope mounts and rings, which is worth the difference in price alone.

that said, the axis is a fine rifle. with savage your money goes into the stuff that actually matters for accuracy, not anything that doesn't.

i'd spend a bit more and get a savage 11 XP, it is capable of well under 1moa.

Sorry Savage haters... I shot this 4 round group at 100 yards on Saturday with my 30-06 Axis using 180 grain Barnes TTSX that I loaded leaning on the tailgate of my truck. I bought my son an Axis in 243 and it is just as accurate. Pretty awesome for a $240 rifle.

sorry forgot pics, that's better.

WP_000976.jpg

Last Edited:
From what I've been told from guys that actually have handled them, the Axis feels cheap. Teh bolt travel is rough and that seems to follow thru with the rest of the gun. I'm not surpeised that it shoots well. Savage always does well in that arena. I've only handled one American, but what I noticed matched what others have said. Good fitting, smooth working gun.

I'm not one to be in the market for a new gun in this price range, but I'd probably pick the American. FYI, unlike the other bolt action Rugers, you need bases and rings before mounting the scope. That extra step may be a deal breaker for you.

with savage you're not paying money for stuff that doesn't matter for accuracy. it's like a subaru. you're paying for what's under the hood, not good looks.

if you want good looks go for the ruger.

me? i bought a savage.

10fcpk-223.jpg

My Ruger American is far more accurate then I am once I found the ammo it likes. Just went through the same thing last year and to me the American felt much better as far as quality then anything else including the Axis series.

I've owned/own many Ruger bolt actions, but recently been downgrading my hunting rifles to accomodated rough rides and abuse on ATV's. Going to stainless steel, synthetic stocked entry level rifles, my first purchase was a used Weatherby Vanguard 223. Works well for it's intended pupose and is fairly accurate for yotes.
Second purchase was a new Savage Axis in 25/06 on GB.COM. Like the Vanguard I put a Leupold 3X9 VX2 on it (which costs more than the rifles), shot it and found the trigger to be horrible and unmanageable. A $65 Rifle Basics replacement trigger fixed that. It's a MOA shooter now with my handloads. Action is fairly smooth, I like the detach mag and the whole scoped rifle with sling is just 7.5 pounds. Yes... it kills deer very well.
I might have to pick up an American. I have heard good things about them.

Last Edited:
They are both very similar. I have the axis, and it shoots wonderfully. Get the cheaper one, and spend the rest on a good glass. The scope that comes with the axis is worthless.

Which Sports Authority carries firearms and ammunition?

Either rifle would be fine for hunting use.

Cascade Station (near PDX)

In fact, I spoke to their gun counter guy and he was a wealth of knowledge about the Ruger American (he is an ex-quantico trainer, 50+ years of experience in firearms and reloading). I'd hate to paraphrase, but it seems Ruger borrowed a lot of the best design elements from different manufacturers. Something like the bedding blocks similar to a Sako, the trigger from Savage (accutrigger), etc. Again, I'm not the expert, but he really sold me on this rifle. They had it on sale for $369 in any caliber I believe.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top