JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's some serious dedication and badazzery right there! Damn impressive!

Edited to remove the incorrect reference to the soldier as a 'Marine' :oops:

Last Edited:
@etrain16 Were you intending a slight? Poking fun?

I didn't take it that way.

Army service members generally do not like to be called Jarheads.

HE TOMB HAS BEEN GUARDED 24/7 SINCE 1937. Tomb Guards come from the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment "The Old Guard". Serving the U.S. since 1784, the Old Guard is the oldest active infantry unit in the military. They keep watch over the memorial every minute of every day, including when the cemetery is closed and in inclement weather. -

The 3d U.S. Infantry, traditionally known as "The Old Guard," is the oldest active-duty infantry unit in the Army, serving our nation since 1784

I was interviewed for the Old Guard while in the Army ... The board liked what they saw ... A young decorated NCO... Lots of ribbons , Airborne , Ranger , CIB ... Then they asked me to march and do some close order drill...
Well ...
I can march ( as in road march or tactical ) , read a map and shoot pretty good ... But as far as real pretty Drill and Ceremony stuff ... I think I have three left feet and perhaps blind with no rhythm what so ever ...:eek:

Next thing I knew I was headed to Somalia ... SIGH...:confused::eek:
Oh well made it through that at least...:D
Andy

I had the honor of laying a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in 1999. I was accompanied by one service member from each of the other Armed Forces. We were invited into the barracks of the Old Guard after the ceremony and were introduced to two of these outstanding soldiers. We were extremely impressed to say the least, an experience I won't forget. Few folks are allowed in the barracks, but it sure helps when your handlers are the just-retired Sergeant Major of the Army and Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy.

@etrain16 Were you intending a slight? Poking fun?

I didn't take it that way.

Army service members generally do not like to be called Jarheads.

No slight intended at all - I honestly thought I was seeing Marines in that video - leave it to a guy who didn't serve in the military to mix them up. I was focused more on the actions than looking closely at the uniforms. No disrespect intended to the Army or the Marines.

But now that you mention it, and I look at the video again, definitely not a Marine uniform. Thanks for pointing out my error. I don't like making those kinds of mistakes, and especially don't ever want to disrespect any member of the armed forces.

I was interviewed for the Old Guard while in the Army ... The board liked what they saw ... A young decorated NCO... Lots of ribbons , Airborne , Ranger , CIB ... Then they asked me to march and do some close order drill...
Well ...
I can march ( as in road march or tactical ) , read a map and shoot pretty good ... But as far as real pretty Drill and Ceremony stuff ... I think I have three left feet and perhaps blind with no rhythm what so ever ...:eek:

Next thing I knew I was headed to Somalia ... SIGH...:confused::eek:
Oh well made it through that at least...:D
Andy
No drinking ever or bad conduct for the rest of your life. Its a real dedication for the job they have. No joke, they're special people to do what they do.

No drinking ever or bad conduct for the rest of your life. Its a real dedication for the job they have. No joke, they're special people to do what they do.
If I am correct and they are caught and/or turned in its much more than a slap on the wrist or demerits to walk off. They must turn in their chest hardware, badges and unit patch. Then their names are removed from the rolls of the 3rd. They consider it an honor to serve the Unknown and live out their lives that way too. As I said, special people.

No way was this a good thing but if you think about it - if it had been an M-16/M-4 it would have likely simply bounced off the Boot - no harm, no foul!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top