JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm likely going to come out for Saturday.... Looks like fun event. This may be a good intro to IPSC matches.

These GSSF matches are a lot of fun and pretty low pressure events.
You need to become a member of GSSF which you can do online at the web site or sign up when you come to the range to register.
You also must use a Glock.
The stages are set up so as to not be intimidating to beginners but to provide a good challenge for the expert shooter.
You dont move during these stages.

It’s probably too late to just be finding out about this for us to make it but it sounds like fun. I’ve never attended anything like this, other than basic handgun courses. So, just in case we can somehow figure out a way to make it, some questions.

1. There would be two of us, but we only own one Glock. Can that work?
2. Do we both have to be members?
3. It’s a little confusing to figure out. Registration and map are clear. The event is not. Below is a list of courses copy pasted from the GSSF site. Which of these apply to Albany? Some or all?

* GLOCK the Plates
* GLOCK the Plates (paper option)
* 5 to GLOCK
* 5 to GLOCK (alternate courses)
* GLOCK'M
* GLOCK'M (paper option)
* GLOCK'M (alternate courses)

I can only answer this question. No, you don't have to be members. According to the calender on http://www.arpc.info/ it is an "open to the public" event. If you haven't been to ARPC, it is a first class facility IMO. Take your own lunch as the club is out in the country.

Here ---> ARPC Calendar is the event description. Looks like it is a big event since it is taking 7 bays. Cost is $25 per person.

It’s probably too late to just be finding out about this for us to make it but it sounds like fun. I’ve never attended anything like this, other than basic handgun courses. So, just in case we can somehow figure out a way to make it, some questions.

1. There would be two of us, but we only own one Glock. Can that work?
3. It’s a little confusing to figure out. Registration and map are clear. The event is not. Below is a list of courses copy pasted from the GSSF site. Which of these apply to Albany? Some or all?

* GLOCK the Plates
* GLOCK the Plates (paper option)
* 5 to GLOCK
* 5 to GLOCK (alternate courses)
* GLOCK'M
* GLOCK'M (paper option)
* GLOCK'M (alternate courses)

You dont have to be a member of the range but you will have to join the GSSF.
You can use the same gun. But remember that these matches are 'Cold Range'. That means you are not allowed to handle your gun at any time except for when it is your turn to shoot and the RO directs you to 'make ready'. So you will want to have a bag or case handy to keep it in between stages/turns or you can keep it slide open in a holster (probably problematic if you are sharing the gun).
If you shoot one catagory you will probably use 150 rounds each +/-. Probably a good idea to have 4 mags. You will have multiple strings of fire in each stage so you will not have time to reload a mag between strings.
They will use one of each of the stages. What you have there is a list of possible stages. So there will be one Glock the plates, one 5 to Glock, and one Glock M. The extras you see listed are just optional set ups for the director to choose from.

And Albany has covered ranges so the weather should not be an issue.
Come on out!

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I did not find out about this till my first post in this thread, and it will not work for us to make this event, but I am going to save this info for future events. As for the GSSF. We both have to be members, or can one be a member and bring a guest?

For the future. I can see keeping the gun in a holster slide open. We just won’t wear it. If that doesn’t work, I have leather gun bags that I keep other guns that we can bring for the event, or it can be stuck in my range bag. Some day she will have her own Glock, but for now she shoots my G17, and shoots it better than I can.

I’ve gone thru the Albany Club web page, and it leaves more questions than answers, but their calender of events is intriguing. It’s a long drive for us, and something we need advance planning for, so I’ll be keeping an eye out on the calender of events.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I did not find out about this till my first post in this thread, and it will not work for us to make this event, but I am going to save this info for future events. As for the GSSF. We both have to be members, or can one be a member and bring a guest?

For the future. I can see keeping the gun in a holster slide open. We just won't wear it. If that doesn't work, I have leather gun bags that I keep other guns that we can bring for the event, or it can be stuck in my range bag. Some day she will have her own Glock, but for now she shoots my G17, and shoots it better than I can.

I've gone thru the Albany Club web page, and it leaves more questions than answers, but their calender of events is intriguing. It's a long drive for us, and something we need advance planning for, so I'll be keeping an eye out on the calender of events.

Each person shooting will need their own GSSF membership.
By the way, I am not in any way affiliated with either GSSF (other than being a member) or the Albany range. I just go down to shoot like anyone else and also volunteer my time as an RO.

Each person shooting will need their own GSSF membership.
By the way, I am not in any way affiliated with either GSSF (other than being a member) or the Albany range. I just go down to shoot like anyone else and also volunteer my time as an RO.

Thanks. I appreciate the info. Neither of us are GSSF members, and only one Glock between the two of us, but it sounds like something we’d both like to do in the future. Does the Albany Range put on GSSF events often?

On their calendar, the events marked in Green are said to be open to the public. I would expect a registration/participation fee, but when Green events are held, would that be all required to participate? Just for reference, I’m looking at the Intro to USPSA on November 5 and the USPSA Action Pistol-Visitors Welcome on November 12.

I think I answered my own question, but I’ll leave it there anyway. Membership in USPSA would be required, but it is very reasonable. Would there be additional fees either on November 5 or 12 to participate?

Does the Albany Range put on GSSF events often?

Typically only once a year

On their calendar, the events marked in Green are said to be open to the public. I would expect a registration/participation fee, but when Green events are held, would that be all required to participate? Just for reference, I'm looking at the Intro to USPSA on November 5 and the USPSA Action Pistol-Visitors Welcome on November 12.

I think I answered my own question, but I'll leave it there anyway. Membership in USPSA would be required, but it is very reasonable. Would there be additional fees either on November 5 or 12 to participate?

USPSA at the club level does not require USPSA membership. The higher level USPSA events do require USPSA membership, but they are rare. The cost to shoot USPSA is $17. Read the rules on the USPSA website for holster and other gear. If you attend the Intro Class all will become clear.

I shoot USPSA and it is by far the most fun gun "game" out there for pistols.

IMHO the GSSF event is rather lame and does not take very long to complete. The cost is high since you have to join GSSF. They let you shoot it as much as you want with a fee each time, but you need to shoot a different glock and/or catagory. I shot is 4 times in one day and would rather shoot just one USPSA match. The GSSF event is kind of like speed steel. The only bonus of joining GSSF is the ability to purchase one glock per year at a good discount:s0155:

USPSA at the club level does not require USPSA membership. The higher level USPSA events do require USPSA membership, but they are rare. The cost to shoot USPSA is $17. Read the rules on the USPSA website for holster and other gear. If you attend the Intro Class all will become clear.

I shoot USPSA and it is by far the most fun gun "game" out there for pistols.

IMHO the GSSF event is rather lame and does not take very long to complete. The cost is high since you have to join GSSF. They let you shoot it as much as you want with a fee each time, but you need to shoot a different glock and/or catagory. I shot is 4 times in one day and would rather shoot just one USPSA match. The GSSF event is kind of like speed steel. The only bonus of joining GSSF is the ability to purchase one glock per year at a good discount:s0155:

Thanks for the info. I’ll check out the USPSA site for holsters and other gear.

I’ll never purchase a Glock a year. I have one, and whether I purchase another is yet to be seen, but of interest is the G19, G23 and G22.

I was thinking about attending the USPSA intro class next week, but I see my calendar isn’t going to let me attend anything till December at the earliest. I’ll make an intro class my first one. Is there any shooting during the intro class?

Not every event is for everybody.
I have also shot USPSA and events have an equally good time at both. They are two different animals and I highly recomend them both to anyone who wants to challenge themselves.

It’s a 5 hour drive for us old farts, so motel, gas, food, cost of the event and frequency of the event all have to be taken into account. Sounds like the USPSA events are what we will try for. We won’t have to share my Glock. I can bring something else along also.

Well, this was a pretty fun event. My 1st, so nothing to compare it too. Very nice ranges, friendly RO's (patient with us newbies) and relaxed, low-key vibe. I thought it would be packed, but it wasnt.

With so few people, and 7 bays shooting, I wish I had brought my G21, G27 and shot more divisions. Well now I know what to expect, and know what to work on (25-yard target on 5 to Glock!)

What I think would make this sort of event even more fun is to have someone selling BBQ burgers, maybe some vendors selling stuff.... Stuff to make it more "social" I guess. I was done shooting and heading to my car an hour after I got there. Spent 5hrs driving for 1hr of shooting. :/

Anyhow, fun event. I love competing. Look forward to IPSC at TCGC and ARPC next.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top